Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: San Antonio Roadrunners Fiesta Mission 5K and 10K (Read 11 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO AND SHORT VERSION REPORT

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg; runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish - finish every race I start and have fun at every race I do.  So far so good..in all my years of running I have never been DNF.   At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 18th race of 2015. Put on by the San Antonio RoadRunners (SARR) on April 18th at the venue of Wheatley Heights Sports Complex, a local area complex that hosts many types of various events. Course set-up, timing, and results done by AthleteGuild, a very good local area race company.  This race is part of the events for 2015 Fiesta San Antonio, which just started this week - 10 days and nights of party, Viva Fiesta!    There was a 5K and a 10K and a total of 456 finishers.  The 10K folks started about 5 - 8 minutes before the 5K participants.  Then we 5K folks were up and running.   I managed to finish in 32:45, which put me in 6th place in my age group, as this is a popular local event and there are lots of speedy old guys in my age group (60-64) that show up for this one.  I guess my strategy is just going to have to be to outlive them all. 

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before the Start

I live pretty close to the complex - only about a 20 minute drive, so got to sleep in a bit.  Showed up at the start/finish area with about 40 minutes to go to start time and wandered around getting some photos of the venue, participants, volunteers, etc.

The club I belong to was the organizer for this event

photo 084_zpstyr0yyvi.jpg

Race Day Registration

photo 006_zpsiqddptip.jpg

photo 008_zpsuikforut.jpg

My lovely friend - and one of my many local 'running crushes" - Sally Rios, with friends

photo 007_zpse6i4kpqt.jpg

Tom the SARR official photographer.  He takes a LOT of photos before, during, and after, and then puts them altogether into a great slideshow.  Check out the SARR website where you can see the show after he has it posted.

photo 001_zps4bp6zftf.jpg

A little blurry on this one, but...my beautiful friend and co-SARR club member, Debra and friend

photo 002_zpsexscfdrt.jpg

photo 003_zpswtdyk216.jpg

Yours truly, with lovely friend Sandra

photo 004_zps5ullhl2c.jpg

Now that's she gotten rid of the Beast in the Beauty and Beast photo above...much more lovely! 

photo 005_zpsutswx65s.jpg

photo 009_zpsb5tlalpb.jpg

My good and speedy running friends, Bill and Chris.  Bill is - (insert big sigh here ) one of those 'speedy old men" in my age group tht helped knock me down to 6th place.  He ended up 3rd in our age group.  If I remember correctly, I believe Chris got a medal in her age group too.

photo 010_zpsr2ukhlau.jpg

These beautiful people are wearing the very nice tech tees that all participants got

photo 011_zpsfqkhuegz.jpg

photo 012_zpslolkacux.jpg

photo 013_zpsa9wj8nvk.jpg

photo 014_zpsuuxyqtuv.jpg

photo 015_zpsfsyd512t.jpg

photo 016_zpsnayogllf.jpg

photo 017_zpsuvsm8n6l.jpg

photo 018_zpsky7ymael.jpg

photo 019_zpszegngwpc.jpg

photo 020_zps4prrcwg3.jpg

photo 021_zps7ws6ofph.jpg

photo 023_zpshs2vpyti.jpg

photo 024_zpsy5y38hfc.jpg

10K folks lining up for their start

photo 025_zps6xwgcbrv.jpg

photo 026_zpsxeli7cnk.jpg

photo 027_zpsv4rmd29i.jpg

My speedy pals Gene and Loyce, who were also doing the 5K.  Gene - who is not in my age group, thank goodness! - and Loyce both got medals

photo 028_zpss2kjj1mp.jpg

National Anthem...as you can see from the flags we pretty much had 'dead air."  Nearly 70 degrees at 8 a.m, start time, dew-point of 76, and 100% humidity due to threatening thunderstorms - which never developed during the race, thank goodness

photo 029_zpsb74trjv9.jpg

5K folks lined up and waiting to go...

photo 030_zpsu7npkkfd.jpg

On the Course

Both races started on the stadium track.  Participants did about 3/4 of a lap around the track, then through part of the complex asphalt parking lot, and then onto paved trails that are part San Antonio's now greatly developed Greenway Trails System, a system of various paved trails that inter-connect with each other all around the city; using the connections for some of these trails you can go quite a long ways! We go to a certain point on the trail, then did a turn-around and back the way we came, finishing on the stadium track.

photo 031_zpsgrfc2x33.jpg

photo 032_zpsiqssixfn.jpg

The guy in the gray shirt is floating, yeah!

photo 033_zpsmdckpssh.jpg

photo 034_zpsah7e0hvy.jpg

photo 035_zpspxpcwp0u.jpg

photo 036_zpsjbsjorlk.jpg

Notice Tom, on the right in the green vest, the official photographer, running with his tripod and camera.  He'd then stop at points and take photos.  I think he got more exercise than all the rest of us, running up and down and all over that course, and carrying that tripod. photo 037_zpsmhj3zrsp.jpg

photo 038_zpsvnvu8jcf.jpg

photo 039_zpsj7waldbd.jpg

photo 040_zpst1yraxlk.jpg

photo 041_zps9lnspi2i.jpg

After the Finish

Some of the post-race goodies and goodies volunteers

Our sausage chef...

photo 022_zpscvcbeg4t.jpg

photo 047_zpsggruayqn.jpg

Post-race beer, oh yeah!

photo 060_zpsplmcmxsn.jpg

Beer and a running crush hug, now that's the way to finish a race! 

photo 061_zpsdtzl1cmu.jpg

Cookies!  I love cookies!  I had 1...ok 2...ok, 3...

photo 062_zps4el8twhb.jpg

photo 063_zpswtoac9dx.jpg

Sausage wraps, yummy

photo 064_zpshtsfva91.jpg

And, of course, some of the "Happy Finishers", supporters, volunteers, etc

photo 044_zps1xvrz51u.jpg

photo 045_zpshpry4cc3.jpg

photo 046_zpsqwkvvnbd.jpg

photo 048_zps7haymh7g.jpg

photo 049_zpsvjsyari4.jpg

photo 050_zpshylhb5ul.jpg

photo 051_zps3zy8ukx5.jpg

One of my lovely lady friends from the Brak Pak group..and some beast of a guy.    But it's all good, she makes him look good, doesn't she? 

photo 053_zpsjxpfem3k.jpg

The lovely Sherri, RD for this event - and, of course, another of my local 'running crushes".    My beautiful wife, Gail, has a lot of patience, lol - and thankfully also knows she is the love of my life and can never be replaced.

photo 054_zps2s1py6nb.jpg

photo 056_zpsaob7w136.jpg

photo 057_zpskui05go6.jpg

photo 058_zpsgb7bdcv3.jpg

photo 065_zpsijduy5b7.jpg

photo 066_zpsrbgdae2m.jpg

photo 067_zps6fivttaq.jpg

photo 072_zpsqaompjam.jpg

photo 073_zpsoikdwshb.jpg

photo 074_zpso56yyrzd.jpg

photo 075_zpsw1spo70z.jpg

photo 076_zpscdngeqrc.jpg

photo 077_zpsrxjgwmql.jpg

photo 078_zpslxw3qtck.jpg

photo 079_zpsfoqha55q.jpg

Two of the nicest people ever...SARR members Joan and Julie

photo 068_zpsibrh03gq.jpg

photo 069_zpssvhc9hvj.jpg

I made a new pal today...and made friends with his humans too...

photo 070_zps2loaoxpv.jpg

photo 071_zpsht4wdc8m.jpg

photo 080_zps3kivtkvf.jpg

My speedy friend John was first in his age group.  First place winners each got a sombrero

photo 083_zpsxzhb3pw0.jpg

photo 081_zpsvcafxlvn.jpg

photo 082_zps2q9sge3n.jpg

Ok, this was the last photo I took for the race and, if I do so, myself, I think it came out pretty great.  Now one of my favorite race photos of all the many photos I've taken over the years.  This little man did the 5K with his Dad. I was near them for most of the course, and joking around with the young fellow, telling him he was making me look bad by passing me all the time.  He was a speedy little guy too, he got a medal in his age group.  I took this photo of them just before they left and I left.  Love this photo, they look so good and happy together, and what a great smile the little guy has!  He and his Dad are really nice people and I really enjoyed interacting with them.

He and his Dad are really nice people

photo 085_zpskz7doga0.jpg

Epilog

This race is named for the San Antonio old 17th century Spanish Missions, and the venue is usually Missions Park along the San Antonio river, but no missions this year - I guess maybe some other race already booked the venue for the day because, during Fiesta, there are several events going on; today, for example, I think there were 3 or 4 other local 5Ks being done.  No worries, though; even without being around the Spanish Missions, it still was a very Fiesta-y atmosphere, lots of smiles, post-race goodies, unique awards, etc.  Mucho race comradery!  The SARR volunteers and organizers for this one really put on a great show!  Definitely a race to put on your 'to do' calendar.  Mucho thanks to SARR, AthleteGuild, all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, etc., all the folks that made this one happen.

Next up for me:  Dream 5K in the a.m. on April 25th; Fiesta Fandango Fun Run in the PM on April 25th; and Clark High School Sunday Funday 5K on April 26th.  I better get extra camera batteries! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

music_girl117

I love the sombreros!  And you are a talented photographer; that last picture is priceless!  Congrats on your 18th race Scotty.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

GinnyinPA

I wondered what happened to the Missions.  Looks like a lovely course anyway.  I like the t-shirts.  It's something I would wear everyday and not just for training runs like most of my race shirts.