Beginners and Beyond

What do Wednesday Penguins Wish For on Hump Day? (Read 21 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Happy Hump Day!  April 29 is World Wish Day!

Other holidays today: 

International Dance Day

International Guide Dogs Day

Zipper Day

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning pens.  I think I'll do a very easy 4 today.  I wound up doing 6.2 yesterday despite my allergies but then I was seriously wiped out for the rest of the day.  I'm going to give myself a couple of lower mileage days to see if I feel any better.  I looked at the pollen forecast and I'm probably just going to be miserable this week and there's nothing I can really do about it.  I'm tossing my bedding into the wash and I'll give my apartment a thorough dusting/mopping but there's only so much I can do when the pollen count is this high.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning !!!  3 miles planned for this afternoon.

Enjoy Hump Day.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have either 7 or an RD.  Will decide later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Morning! 5 easy miles done. Gym later.

Sapf pollen is ridiculous here too, hasn't affected my running other than forcing me to carry an arsenal of tissues with me, but I'm sleeping terribly because I can't breathe.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

So much for a sunny Riverwalk run.  By the time I got off work, the wind was blowing pretty good, there was lots of cloud cover, and the temp had dropped from the 70s to 61 degrees.  It was a bit chilly just standing around, but once I got going I was fine.  Turned out to be a very nice run/walk along the Riverwalk, felt really good and ended up with 4 miles.

Today the sun is shining and temp will be up to about 71 degrees, but with very low humidity and dewpoint.  San Antonio is getting some really nice weather this week, after all the rain we had last week, cool mornings, nice low-humidity and dewpoint afternoons.

Today will be hill work day at Fort Sam Houston.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Scotty, nice weather coming up, enjoy it!

Jill and Lauren, sorry about the allergies. Sad

Headed out for a tempo run shortly.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm leaving the lab for a meeting in a few minutes, should finish around lunchtime.  Sheesh.  It's still hot here, but the parts for my AC are supposed to come in today and hopefully be installed tomorrow, so woo-hoo!!  And I have quartet rehearsal tonight, so that's all good.  At least, I hope I do -- our bari has messed up her hip, so she won't be there.  It's possible we'll cancel altogether.  If so, I'll head home and do my PT exercises -- I skipped them this morning because my stomach is a little upset.  Hopefully that'll settle down soon!!

sapf -- Have a good 4, and hope you feel better!!

Jerryb -- enjoy your 3!!

Docket -- have a good whichever!!

Lauren -- woo-hoo for your 5, and have fun at the gym!!

scotty -- show them hills who's boss!!

Brill -- have a good tempo run!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Happy Wednesday Pens.

Sounds cheezy, but when asked, world peace is what I wish for.

sapf - I saw on Baboon's NJ Marathon thread that you grew up in the area. Me, too. I grew up in Colts Neck, a little burg just east of Freehold. I just about lived on Manasquan Beach in summertime. Jeez, I miss the ocean. It took me sooo long to get used to living in "The Middle". For years, I felt compelled to get to the edge, to let my toes hang off the edge and into the ocean. Hard to explain - sort of like reverse clastophia when there is so much land between you and the ocean. I went back home to visit and stayed in a B&B in Spring Lake. I cried when I left the boardwalk. I actually said, "Goodbye" to the ocean. Now I've gone and done it. Sad all over again. (Snapoutovit!)

So just came back from my longest mid-week run of 7 miles. Groin is feeling tight, but enjoyed a pretty morning.

Now off to Wichita for a conference. Best thing will be my morning runs on the River Walk. One of my favs!! Second to the NJ Boardwalks.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Zelanie

Hi guys,

I got home late last night, so made yesterday my RD.  So last night's run will be tonight. Smile

I went to high school in NJ, so we would spend summers "down the shore" ourselves.  Luckily I still get to live not too far from an ocean.  When I first moved out here, I was always getting turned around, because on this side of the country, you have to go west go go towards the ocean, and I kept thinking of that direction as east!  This was even though we're an hour or so away from the beach.  I didn't realize that I was navigating by it until it moved on me!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

sapf - I saw on Baboon's NJ Marathon thread that you grew up in the area. Me, too. I grew up in Colts Neck, a little burg just east of Freehold. I just about lived on Manasquan Beach in summertime. Jeez, I miss the ocean. It took me sooo long to get used to living in "The Middle". For years, I felt compelled to get to the edge, to let my toes hang off the edge and into the ocean. Hard to explain - sort of like reverse clastophia when there is so much land between you and the ocean. I went back home to visit and stayed in a B&B in Spring Lake. I cried when I left the boardwalk. I actually said, "Goodbye" to the ocean. Now I've gone and done it. Sad all over again. (Snapoutovit!)

Yeah - I grew up in Jackson and my parents still live there.  I'm pretty familiar with Colts Neck - one of my good friends grew up there :-)  My mom grew up in Freehold, and most of my family is scattered around Ocean and Monmouth counties.  When DH and I move to suburbia we'll probably wind up in the Princeton area.  Sometimes I miss the peacefulness of NJ when NYC just feels too crowded and insane.  Though when I go down to visit my parents I get a bit bored and miss the city =P  I'm hoping Princeton is an intermediary between the boredom of rural-ish Jackson the fast pace of NYC.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi guys,

I got home late last night, so made yesterday my RD.  So last night's run will be tonight. Smile

I went to high school in NJ, so we would spend summers "down the shore" ourselves.  Luckily I still get to live not too far from an ocean.  When I first moved out here, I was always getting turned around, because on this side of the country, you have to go west go go towards the ocean, and I kept thinking of that direction as east!  This was even though we're an hour or so away from the beach.  I didn't realize that I was navigating by it until it moved on me!

This confuses DH as well, since he's from Washington State and now we live in VA!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

sapf - this time of year is hard.  I like to keep my windows open when the temperature is right, but then the dust and pollen blows in.  I hope you get to enjoy your four miles.  When do you plan to move to Princeton?  Would you still commute to the city?

Jerry - enjoy your three.

D - when is your next race?  Is this down time between training cycles?  Enjoy your rest or seven later.  No pilates?

Lauren - I take a Benadryl at night so I can sleep.  I'm okay during the day, usually, but at night the allergies hit me hard.  Flonase helps too.

Scotty - that is great weather for Texas.  Enjoy the coolness while you have it.  I ran into an adorable guide dog in training at the expo Saturday, a six month old Golden Retriever.

HM - I hope they get your AC fixed ASAP.  I hope you get your rehearsal tonight.  Even if one person can't participate, the rest of you can work on your parts.

Brilliant - I hope your tempo run went well.

Kathleen - good job on the seven miles. I am not really an ocean person, though I enjoy the beach in small doses.  I was raised in the desert surrounded by mountains (Tucson) from age 5 to adulthood, so for me, that is home. When I went back when my mother was dying, I cried when we went out to Saguaro NP.  I really miss spring in the desert.

Z - good luck with your run tonight.  You've been doing a lot of long days lately.  It's a good thing that you aren't on a formal schedule and can make it up as you go.

AFM:  another rest day.  We walked Ben for two miles this a.m. and I was able to go up and down the stairs once without too much difficulty.  I may try to mow this afternoon, though I'm not too sure about that because the lawn mower pulls me down the slope faster than I'm comfortable with yet. OTOH, that grass is LONG!

Docket_Rocket

Ginny, my next race is in 5 weeks, so no rest between the cycles.  Pilates is tomorrow and Friday (and yesterday) so I get to rest today, haha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Z - good luck with your run tonight.  You've been doing a lot of long days lately.  It's a good thing that you aren't on a formal schedule and can make it up as you go.

This is why I resisted the urge to sign up for the May marathon that my RP is training for.  I'm doing almost enough miles for it, but having to have the mental energy to be really training for it would be too much, I think.  Work has definitely been very taxing this year.

Glad you're starting to feel better.  Good luck with the mowing!