Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 60 JR AFROTC Rattler 5K (Read 15 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2060%20AFJROTC%20Rattler%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 60th race of 2018 was the Air Force Jr ROTC Rattler 5K held at San Marcos, Texas on August 25th.  This event supported the school’s JR ROTC detachment.  Rattlers is the team name of the school.  Race start time of 8 a.m.  San Marcos is about 40 miles from San Antonio so not a far drive.  Arrived with a little over an hour to go to start time and got some pre-start photos.

A bit of a view from the school grounds of some of the hill country behind the school.

photo IMG_4944_zps2gfag6v0.jpg

Start/Finish area

photo IMG_4945_zpsksu4zkan.jpg

photo IMG_4946_zpsiqvjgu6d.jpg

photo IMG_4956_zpshmo4gtta.jpg

Various Participants, etc..

photo IMG_4943_zpsbddqokm9.jpg

photo IMG_4947_zps07fljat7.jpg

photo IMG_4950_zps6myysvsx.jpg

photo IMG_4951_zpsrwmjqpoc.jpg

photo IMG_4949_zpsitk9tndi.jpg

photo IMG_4952_zpscato4y3g.jpg

photo IMG_4953_zpstd3lahut.jpg

Cheerleaders making me and Ralph look good

photo IMG_4955_zpsubklsr8v.jpg

photo IMG_4954_zps7mdnxbv4.jpg

photo IMG_4957_zpswjwvlqv2.jpg

photo IMG_4958_zpsuqzfscqn.jpg

photo IMG_4959_zpsqebz1xg7.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Start-and-finish on the school grounds. Have done this event before so knew what to expect:  some hills.  We started flat on the school grounds, then onto a public road for a while; then a downhill, then to a turn-around point and back the way we came.  We passed by the street we had come out on and went the ‘back way’ to the school.  This route had a few challenging hills, especially one long one right before we made the turn back onto the school grounds to go to the finish.  Since this was a fairly small-in-numbers event, maybe a couple of hundred people, my age group was 60-99 and I finished in 34:19 chip time, 8th in my age group, good enough for dead last in it, lol.  Even my speedy friend, Don, finished 6th.  The first 3 guys in our age group all finished in the 20s, good grief.  I was quite happy with my results since I’ve been dealing with this heart issue and have been slowing down a bit, 35+ in my last few races;  34-and-change is closer to what I usually do for a 5K, so hopefully my body is finally “adjusting” to this heart medication I have to take.

photo IMG_4960_zps4c5sjixh.jpg

photo IMG_4961_zpszfes3qna.jpg

photo IMG_4962_zpspfxedzpt.jpg

photo IMG_4963_zps7zztcjmk.jpg

photo IMG_4964_zpst46owjjr.jpg

This was our first hill, a downhill. We came out of the school and then shortly after that came down this hill

photo IMG_4965_zps1izns4gh.jpg

photo IMG_4966_zpsuj2ldguq.jpg

People on the left - of which I was one - heading to a turn-round point on this road.  Speedy people on the right heading to the hills that will take them to the finish

photo IMG_4967_zpsk909mare.jpg

Our first hill on the way back to the finish

photo IMG_4968_zpstuharagi.jpg

photo IMG_4969_zpsqjszpufp.jpg

photo IMG_4970_zps4oookwsj.jpg

Next hill on the way to the finish. Looking behind me here.

photo IMG_4971_zpsu7rzmfcf.jpg

Looking ahead.  Right around that bend was another looong hill, the last one we climbed before turning into the school grounds.

photo IMG_4972_zps6e9tawec.jpg

photo IMG_4973_zps3r3nlmg7.jpg

After that, nonstop to the finish.  I managed to run that last long hill without stopping.

AFTER MY FINISH

Already 80 – 81 degrees by the time I finished – 78 at the start – so I went and sat in my car, running the A/C for about 10 minutes and rehydrating and having a banana.  Felt mucho refreshed after that and so it was off to get some post-race photos of the happy finishers, supporters, volunteers, et al.

photo IMG_4975_zps91nfbubs.jpg

photo IMG_4976_zpskbdqmfun.jpg

photo IMG_4974_zpswmat5m0b.jpg

With the riders

photo IMG_4978_zpsfgkd4pzx.jpg

photo IMG_4980_zpshbljgj0q.jpg

With our Race Director

photo IMG_4981_zpsjpsuppkg.jpg

photo IMG_4983_zpsvs8mf9wg.jpg

photo IMG_4984_zpsvvfrgpan.jpg

photo IMG_4985_zpscdwvr4ux.jpg

First place in each age group got a carved 'rattler' as their award

photo IMG_4986_zpsatnvxltm.jpg

photo IMG_4987_zpsenecn2w2.jpg

photo IMG_4988_zpsaibakdjl.jpg

photo IMG_4989_zpsbewzqbzq.jpg

photo IMG_4991_zpsbehgu6wk.jpg

photo IMG_4992_zpsyldwrd0b.jpg

photo IMG_4993_zpsgb0gik9i.jpg

photo IMG_4994_zpsftifzexo.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a very nicely organized event with a really nice goodie bag crammed with various stuff and a nice quality and nicely designed cotton-tee race shirt.  The course is challenging in places, but a good one, with wide roads and very little traffic.  We all had plenty of maneuvering room.  There was a slight bit of confusion in the medal handouts, but I think that got resolved pretty quickly.  Any race can have a glitch once in a while.  I like this event – especially being retired Air Force, lol – and will certainly do it again and would recommend it to others. Just ONCE though, I’d sure like Major – the race director – to do this course in reverse to see how that goes.  C’mon, just once, Major!  😉

Mucho thanks to all the volunteers, - especially all the JR AFROTC volunteers, law enforcement, Athlete Guild for the timing and results, San Marcos High cheer leaders and others being out there for us, and those motorcycle club members, some who were veterans, that were out there for us too;  and anyone else I may not have mentioned here who was there so we participants could do this event. Thank you!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

What do people do with the AG awards? I'm not sure I'd want to look at a rattlesnake prize.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

What do people do with the AG awards? I'm not sure I'd want to look at a rattlesnake prize.

I am not exactly sure since I rarely get one, lol.   One guy was happy though...he has several 'pet snakes' at home.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Talita45

Well If you wish to improve the quality you can with the Remini.