Beginners and Beyond

COFFEE!!!! Do you like it light, medium or dark? (Read 36 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Our Schnucks here has a grinder thingy for the brand Cameron's (love it by the way), and so I decided to grind a few different flavors to try this time, as they only have about a half dozen awesome flavors already ground up. I've got Intense French and I think the Expresso "something", I forgot to label the bag thingies they have. I can't wait to try some this weekend!

What is your favorite kind of coffee, light, medium or dark roast?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Daves_Not_Here

I prefer a medium roast (what is called City roast to City+ roast) as the coffee will still have a good, unique, flavor profile. The darker one roasts, the less the unique characteristic(s) of the bean. In other words, the darker the roast, any given bean is going to taste much like any other given bean. Additionally, a lighter roast will have a higher caffeine content. Depending upon the bean (and I prefer Central American coffees overall) I roast my beans through 1st crack and sometimes right before 2nd crack begins...Never into 2nd crack unless I'm roasting for a SO (Single Origin) espresso.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yes, I am learning those things Blush

Now that I am not able to obsess over my alcohol like I used to, I will start to obsess over coffee, researching it. I think most of my roasts are medium or close to dark, but I will try the lighter once next time. How do you keep your's stored for freshness? Do you go through one bag/container at a time before messing with the others, or have multiple containers that are opened at one time?

I have a couple of light roasted flavored ones: Amoretto, Chocolate Mint (YUM)

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Daves_Not_Here

Yes, I am learning those things Blush

Now that I am not able to obsess over my alcohol like I used to, I will start to obsess over coffee, researching it. I think most of my roasts are medium or close to dark, but I will try the lighter once next time. How do you keep your's stored for freshness? Do you go through one bag/container at a time before messing with the others, or have multiple containers that are opened at one time?

I roast every 4 to 5 days so my coffee doesn't get stale. I do keep it in an airtight storage container similar to this...

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Do you ever mix different flavors? That is if you have different flavors.....

I roast every 4 to 5 days so my coffee doesn't get stale. I do keep it in an airtight storage container similar to this...

PRs

Daves_Not_Here

I don't do "flavored" coffee per se, but I have blended different beans/roasts to obtain certain flavor profiles.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I might just be spoiled, but I love my flavored coffees..... especially the Chocolate Mint, the Amoretto, Toasted Southern Pecan, French Vanilla, and hopefully these other two I have here.

PRs

Daves_Not_Here

I might just be spoiled, but I love my flavored coffees..... especially the Chocolate Mint, the Amoretto, Toasted Southern Pecan, French Vanilla, and hopefully these other two I have here.

If you get into roasting your own beans, I can almost guarantee that you'll abandon flavored coffees. You'll begin trying different beans from different estates and you'll find that the beans you roast will taste (profile) much different depending upon how you roast it. For example, I'll take a nice Costa Rican bean to a "City" roast and it'll have maybe a caramel undertone, right? Take the same bean and roast it a bit longer, say to a "Full City" roast, and you might pick up a cherry/fruit undertone.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hmm...maybe someday Smile sadly I don't know if I would have the time everyday to do that weekly. I'll happily call myself lazy when it comes to that stuff Big grin

PRs

Jess runs for bacon

You guys are making me want to roast my own beans. Does it make your house smell good?

Daves_Not_Here

You guys are making me want to roast my own beans. Does it make your house smell good?

Oddly enough, when roasting, it doesn't really smell like brewed coffee. It's not bad, just didn't smell like I thought it would and I've been roasting now for about 3 years. Many roasters also generate a lot of smoke. I remember when I first got my roaster...I fired it up and about 15 minutes into the roasting cycle I set off every smoke alarm in the house! LOL! And I've got one of the roasters that has a patented "low smoke" output (Behmor 1600). I now roast in the basement. Big grin

The small "daily" roasters may not generate much smoke, but it forces one to roast everyday and I didn't like that option. I wanted a roaster where I could do a pound at a time and the Behmor was very cost effective ($300 dollars vs. $800 dollars and up for anything that'll roast one pound).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Someday I will do my own roasting..... someday.

PRs