Beginners and Beyond

I have PF in both feet. Should I race tomorrow? (Read 68 times)

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

I just went on a 2 mile walk with my DW. My feet were sore while walking and afterward. There is a small 5K with about 200 runners tomorrow. Should I race in it or no? I haven't signed up yet. I would sign up tomorrow. I know the PF is affecting my push off. I have been running about 35 mpw for the last few weeks. I have had some real good runs and some real bad runs. Bad as in painful flare ups of the PF.

I have been running a total of a little over 1.5 years. This would be my 4th race and my second 5K. Finishing is not a problem as I have run 13 miles with my PF. I am more worried about not performing well because of the pain. I was second in my age group last year and had a goal of winning my age group this year. It is pretty competitive for a small race. Ironically enough I had a hamstring strain going into the race last year. The day before I could hardly run 2 miles without coming up hobbling.

outoftheblue

I'd skip the race.    I know a lot of people run through PF, but the conventional wisdom is to at least ease up on mileage and intensity.

My personal experience with PF was that although I was able to manage the pain enough to keep running and actually ran a HM with it, it did not get better until I took several weeks off running and even any unnecessary walking.  I did a lot of foot strengthening exercises and stretching in the meantime.  I then slowly (took 6 months to get back to 20 mpw) eased back into running.  Fingers crossed, but it's been 2 years and it hasn't been back.

I know you've been working through a couple different injuries.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Life is good.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Meh, I'd say if you can do an extreme rub down tonight & warmup similarly tomorrow morning, I'd go for it & THEN take that much needed time off.  Especially if you've had your heart set on this race.  You already trained & walked on sore feet, so why not?

Unless, of course you tear your plantar facia while racing tomorrow and face-plant in agonizing pain while watching your teeth spill in several different directions all the road while wondering why you ever decided it was a good idea to run the race in the first place & wishing something less painful would have happened to you instead like in hostel when that guy had his Achilles' tendons cut by that crazy guy.

But it's all up to you.   Wink Big grin Cool

Randy

Nightvisionrn

I'm a wimp so I wouldn't want to run in pain. Let us know what you decide to do.

Docket_Rocket

I would skip it.  There are hundreds of 5Ks you can do when your feet get better.  Keep your eye on your goal (marathon training).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

No.

hog4life

IMO, no. I am just recovering from PF, and I can advise you, that it will likely get worse before it gets better. Good luck!

happylily

I had severe PF back in June. Complete rest was necessary for 2 months before I could return to running. Even now, I am afraid of hard intervals... Stretch those calves a lot, that's my advice to you! Good luck!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

I'd run but I run until something is so fucking painful I can't walk so I'm not terribly good for personal experience advice.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

I'd run but I run until something is so fucking painful I can't walk so I'm not terribly good for personal experience advice.

That was me before June. Ran through pain, then bam! So fucking painful that even walking was impossible. Not fun. Not practical for work. Fucking depressing.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

I ended up not racing. I had set my alarm clock and all. I was so close to lacing up.  I think I made the right choice as I would have probably paid the price with  a high intensity race effort. I had rested 2 days and my feet were starting to feel a little better so I did go on a 7 mile. I lived to fight another day. Thanks for talking me out of it.