Beginners and Beyond

Race Report and Photos: April Fools Day 5K (Read 30 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 21st race of 2014.  Event was held at Ladybird Johnson Park at 6:30 PM on April 1st.  Our usual temp for this time of year is 77 degrees but we are having higher temps than normal so our race temp was 88 degrees with an accompanying high humidity and high dewpoint and no wind, gaaack.  Small event, maybe about 60 or so folks.  Because it was April Fools we did not know what the course held.  Last year it was long (3.4 miles)...this year it turned out to be short - April Fools! - at 2.9 miles.  I ended up with a time of 30:49.   Awards were done in an April Fools way too...by runner height, lol.  I was in the male 5'9" category and came in 4th.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS.

Before The Start

Since the park is only about 2 miles from where I live I was able to go home after work - nice to get off work at 4 pm - relax a bit, get hydrated, and then head over to the park around 6 pm and started doing my pre-race photo thing.

The first guy I met was this guy, our chef, who was preparing all the grilled sausages that would be waiting for us post-race.  Nice!

I noticed a button on his shirt  "Team Caitlin" - and got a photo of it after he told me the story.  This is his granddaughter, Caitlin, 4 years old, who has been battling a very rare and deadly form of cancer since she was 2 years old.  So if you can, please say a prayer, keep a good thought, best hopes and wishes,  or think 'good vibes' for this little girl and for "Team Caitlin", all her family and supporters.

The Banana Lady let me have a photo with her....because I am so a-peeling...

Banana Lady and friends, Sleepy Flamingo and Shark Lady

Our Race MC

Two lovely ladies and a camera-shy guy

Two "sisters"....    This Great Legs Lady was quite speedy, even pushing the stroller with her 'sister' in it.    I hadn't even made it to the turn-round point on the course yet and I saw her already heading back to the finish.

Lots of Great Legs....chase, Scottydog, chase!    They were all too speedy for my slow-and-old-dogself and finished way ahead of me quite handily.

On The Course

Aside from being all cement, which is kind of hard on the legs, the trail system in this park - part of the city's greenway system of connecting trails - goes a long way.  This park's system is a nice one with lots of room for everyone and nice shade trees along the way.  We did a little out-and-back route on the trail, along the way passing by Los Patios Restaurant, a very good local eatery.  I think coming back was the most difficult because we headed west on the return trip and were directly facing the sun in the 88 degree weather.

This is where we started and finished.  We had to go down a small hill from this sign and then come back up it to get to the finish line.

Right as we started, some folks near the start line started shooting that Silly String stuff at us - April Fools! - so some runners ended up running with  a few strands of that stuff dangling from them.  I managed to get across the start line with 'no strings attached."

For this event the trail was 'open' so we often encountered cyclists and other runners who were not in the race. No problems though, all the cyclists and other runners - at least the ones I encountered anyway - were pretty polite and there was plenty of room for everyone.

When you are a slow old dog, it can sometimes be lonely on the course.....don't you feel sorry for me? 

Actually, after that last photo, I ran again and caught up to and passed several people before I ended up finishing.   So I didn't do too badly.  This was nice little course and I thoroughly enjoyed myself - and even managed average under 11 minute miles in spite of the 88 degrees.  Under 11 is pretty speedy for me, lol.

After The Race

What's the first stop after a warm race?  Cold beer!  Oh yeah...

This lovely lady and I were in proximity of each other for most of the course, playing 'leapfrog'.  She'd pass me when I stopped to take photos then I'd catch back up to her.  And repeat.

Got a photo with the Great Legs 'sister'.  First one came out kinda blurry..Icuz in this Beauty and the Beast photo, I  think the photographer was trying to hide the Beast (I bet you can guess which one that is )

OK, that's better...

More "Happy Finishers" - which is what I call them because it seems more folks are smiling after the race than before or during.

The guy on the right here is Scott Wood of AthleteGuild, a very good local area race management company. AthleteGuild did the timing for this event.   Scott  is a great guy and  a runner himself.  He is having AT issues right now and can't run, so it can be frustrating for him  - probably very frustrating considering all the runners he sees with the job he has -  to have to see all the other runners being able to run..anyone who's ever been injured knows how that goes!  So keep a good thought for a speedy recovery for him.

Costume Contest...

Some of the 'height divisions' medal winners

EPILOG

The "Fools 5K" shirts some folks wore are the race shirts that were in the goody bag.  And I forgot mine, lol.  I left my bag near the timing table to pick it up post-race cuz I was too lazy to walk back to my car. Then I forgot to pick it up after the race.  Duhhh...old man brain dump, lol.  Maybe one of the AthleteGuild folks found it and I can get it from them later.  If not, no big deal...as many races as I do over a year - 75 races done last year -  I think I have plenty of shirts, lol.

Very nice event, lots of fun, and beer and sausages post-race, yummy!  Even though it was a bit warm, nice race venue  - Ladybird Johnson Park is a nice little park with soccer field, softball fields, nice trails, a skateboard park and a community center - and the course was very nice too, the shade trees were especially appreciated on the warm day.   This one remains a 'keeper' on my race calendar each year.

Mucho thanks to AthletesGuild,  iaapweb.com, We Run San Antonio, dragontees who provided the shirts, and all the other folks, volunteers, sponsors, etc., who made this happen.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

That looked like a nice, small race.  Congratulations on race 21 and coming in 4th (in height! LOL)    Such nice tee-shirts, too bad your forgot yours.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Pinktastic

Congrats, Scotty!  This sure was a fun one!   Hopefully it grows next year because I think lots of people would have fun with this!   Thanks for sharing!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Zelanie

Height divisions, too funny!  Sounds like another fun April Fools' Day!  Glad everyone did OK in the heat!

Hah, B+ was asking for the Dancing Banana for Rick's RR, and here you actually found her.  Smile