Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #12 (Read 34 times)

Cyberic

Is it worth making screw shoes to run on thick ice? 🤔

I find it's the hardness of the ice, and thus the temperature, that makes a difference in how the screw shoes grip. But there's no way they don't beat rubber on ice.

I just made a new pair this morning.  Not saying it's like running on asphalt under any condition, but they improve grip a lot in many circumstances.

LRB

We'll see how it goes...

Cyberic

We'll see how it goes...

I might be wrong, but I bet you'll think it's the best $2 you've spent in a long time.

Docket_Rocket

I’m going to have to get the info so hubby can fuck a pair of my shoes trying to do this. 😂

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I’m going to have to get the info so hubby can fuck a pair of my shoes trying to do this. 😂

Wrong. There's no long term damage done. Just take the screws out if you don't need them

Docket_Rocket

Good. I guess he can manage at least that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Walked around on the ice for about 100 feet, definitely can tell a difference.

LRB

No horse in this race, I'm indifferent. Looking for the Ravens to advance and play Houston, which means neither will likely happen. lol

Boosh. 

Cyberic

Walked around on the ice for about 100 feet, definitely can tell a difference.

Words of experience: depending on the length of the screws you chose and the type of rubber you screwed the in (those look like Adidas... Never tried in Continental / Boost) the screws can dislodge and fall off.

I would recommend either bringing a driver and a few screws with you on your first time out, maybe leave those in the car and make loops around it... you know to not end up like I did once,  about 7 miles from home and many less screws. It was an adventure to combe back home.

But if you have the correct screws in good shoes, they don't come out. You just have to replace them when they're worn out.

Again, experience, if you wait until they're too worn out, they'll be harder to take out as the driver's head won't have a good grip. But they're still easy enough to remove with pliers when that happens.

LRB

Words of experience: depending on the length of the screws you chose and the type of rubber you screwed the in (those look like Adidas... Never tried in Continental / Boost) the screws can dislodge and fall off.

I would recommend either bringing a driver and a few screws with you on your first time out, maybe leave those in the car and make loops around it... you know to not end up like I did once,  about 7 miles from home and many less screws. It was an adventure to combe back home.

But if you have the correct screws in good shoes, they don't come out. You just have to replace them when they're worn out.

Again, experience, if you wait until they're too worn out, they'll be harder to take out as the driver's head won't have a good grip. But they're still easy enough to remove with pliers when that happens.

Oops! I glued the screws in. 

Cyberic

Oops! I glued the screws in. 

On the contrary. It might be a great idea! Never thought of that.

Docket_Rocket

That is a great idea LRB

Damaris

Fundraising Page

LRB

I used a product called Loctite. It's basically super glue on steroids. The screw heads were already showing wear and I didn't run on clear pavement very much so I'm guessing they won't be good but for 2 or 3 runs depending on duration and conditions. I can get stainless steel screws which would last longer, or something like titanium which would last longest. It's something I'll consider as the winter season progresses.

Cyberic

I used a product called Loctite. It's basically super glue on steroids. The screw heads were already showing wear and I didn't run on clear pavement very much so I'm guessing they won't be good but for 2 or 3 runs depending on duration and conditions. I can get stainless steel screws which would last longer, or something like titanium which would last longest. It's something I'll consider as the winter season progresses.

I know what loctite is. My father used it sometimes.

As for the durability of the screws, all options are there. I opt for cheaper quality/replace more often. I spend less than $5 per winter on screws, and those are Canadian dollars.