Beginners and Beyond

Penguins have fun on Sunday (Read 30 times)

Robert31320

Team TJ

It was pouring rain here most of the day so I've decided to just finish out a rest weekend.  I will be getting a fresh start Monday morning on closing out the year and rolling into a new one with a stronger focus on my running and working out.  I'm serving as a co-captain on my 2014in2014 team so I have to get on my game and stay there.

Mitch, nice new ink.  I have a pair of Glycerin 10s and really like them.  I wanted the orange 11s but got the 10s $60 cheaper.

Kristin,  That injury still sounds serious even if it isn't fractured.  Take care of it and get healed up quickly.

Scotty, 75 races is huge!  Congrats.

Have a great remainder of your day everyone!

Running for TJ because he can't.

obiebyke

2.5 miles in a feels like of -20F today. Oof! After my New Year's Day 10K I'm going to lighten up a little maybe. My knees are pissed. 2.4 miles planned tomorrow to hit a milestone before the end of the year.

Happy Sunday everyone!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Not running has been strange. The thing that worries me is I am afraid the PF will never go away. I will give it two weeks and then start up again.  I did some yard work today but I really want to run. Dang. Now I'm just watching some football. DW went out with a friend and all the kids are gone so at least I have a quiet house. Smile

Docket_Rocket

Hi Pens.

Not running has been strange. The thing that worries me is I am afraid the PF will never go away. I will give it two weeks and then start up again.  I did some yard work today but I really want to run. Dang. Now I'm just watching some football. DW went out with a friend and all the kids are gone so at least I have a quiet house. Smile

PF takes a while in some cases.  Hope yours gets better soon.

I ran only 4.50.  Ran out of time, had some thunder, had no mojo.  But I've had 5 great runs this week so I cannot complain.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Jack, if the rest doesn't fix the PT, I have a running partner who has been running pain free for several years after being told by a doc that her PF was so bad that she'd never run again.  She found a PT and did the right exercises, and was even able to run through the PT too.  So I can ask her for the exercises if you want.

We had a good talk with the vet.  It does look likely that Zoe will need back surgery.  The only other option would be for her to live in pain for the rest of her life and eventually lose control of her back legs, bladder, and bowels.  Not really an option for a sweet, 4 year old dog if we can do something to help.  Prognosis for the surgery is very good if you follow all the post op instructions and if you do it before there are visible signs of nerve damage.  She needs a MRI to confirm or rule out the diagnosis, so it looks like we will schedule that.  There is a 3rd clinic in Portland that we will probably go to for that.  Haven't gotten the full surgery estimate yet but expect it to be somewhere along the lines of OMGWTF. 

Docket_Rocket

Awww, poor thing, Z.

I am taking Daisy to the vet tomorrow and will be very strong in that we do not want her to stay at the hospital.  They always keep them overnight which costs more than $1000 dollars.  But she is not eating and is skinny (skin, some meat, and bones).  Hoping she just does not want to eat.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

D- Too many sick kitties at your house!  Is there somebody being dominant over the food and causing food drama maybe?

Docket_Rocket

That is the thing.  Daisy has her own room, food, and litterbox.  I think that when we switched to Wellness Core (a high protein food), Trixie and her stopped eating (or ate too little) and/or our many trips stressed them out and they stopped eating.  Daisy still eats (I put wet food in front of her and she eats like a mg of it, but she is not eating enough so her stomach is little.  I am force feeding her and if I feed her more than 30ccs she vomits.  So, in she goes.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Zel: sure! I hope it is not too much trouble. Thank you!

Jack, do you have prior experience with PF? I find mine is helped by a lot of stretching throughout the day. Stretching not related to running. Before getting out of bed. While driving the car. Sitting at a desk. Just keep flexing the ankle, toes toward shins, and holding in a stretched position for a while. Seems to help me a lot. But who knows, everyone is different Smile
                      Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Thanks, OFS. The doc said PF is one of the more unusual injuries/conditions. Like you said, it's different for everyone.

Mmmmm...beer

10.4 miles done, 29.5 miles to go.  I'm thinking a double tomorrow and then wrap it up Tues morning. Smile  I would have gone for more this evening, but the pizza and beer I had while watching the game didn't settle well.

Great tat Mitch!

75 races is just crazy Scotty, great job!

Zel, sorry to hear about your pup.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

Here is my friend's reply about PF:

I found doctors to be almost completely useless for plantar fasciitis. I would advise your friend to ask for a referral to a physical therapist. If I knew then what I know now, that would have been the first thing I would have done. I did a lot of something called "toe crunches". I also did calf strengthening exercises and standing on one foot while rotating my other leg from out to one side, out to the front, and out to the other side. All fairly easy stuff, and all very repetitive and boring. For a while I kind of went through the motions, but wasn't consistent. Once I became consistent, I started to see significant improvement within 6 weeks. I did slow my pace quite a bit, and limited my mileage, but I never entirely quit running. I usually ran at least 10-12 miles a week. I hope your friend can find a good PT and recovers quickly. That is a painful thing.