Beginners and Beyond

Wind Pants (Read 55 times)

Anyone ever use wind pants?  These are pants that have special material to help block the wind.  Gore makes some Windstopper stuff, and Nike has some Shield stuff.  Basically just looking for something to help cut the wind a bit where it can be little harsh out here on the plains (as in, wind sucks).

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

I had some very old pants from Lands End that I called wind pants. I think they were just nylon or something like that. I threw them away a few weeks ago because they had a hole in the knee. They were loose fitting and did a good job of blocking the wind. with some shorts underneath, they were pretty good for temperatures down to 20 degrees or so. I would wear a base layer underneath for anything colder.

I don't see much like this anymore. Mostly tights and stuff like that.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

Yes, I've got a couple different kinds over the years, some for hiking, some for running. Usually they're just made out of the same material as top shells.

My early ones had full zips so you  could get them on over shoes and also ventilate if the wind / rain stopped. Those tend to be heavy.

The ones I use now are by Montbell but forget the model. Something like "light stretch wind pants"  made from Polkatex (so says my log). They're baggier than what I wanted but layer nicely in winter and aren't too heavy for summer. No zippers, but baggy enough to get over shoes without too much problem. Much lighter weight than my older wind pants.

Windpants also help snow slide off backside when snowshoe running or hiking.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

wear regular running pants, with these underneath, to block the wind where it counts. 

Dave