Beginners and Beyond

Wine & Cheese 10K RR -- A PR and a "floater" (Read 72 times)

From the Internet.

A PR during marathon training while stopping to tie your shoes? Nice! Great job and great pic too!

Brilliant

Great report and picture!  But I, too, am sad you didn't get any wine or cheese. Sad

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on doing so well, despite starting out feeling tired and sore.  I hope you had a glass of wine later.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Very entertaining report and nice photo of you too!  Congrats on your race and the PR!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Very nice job and photo!  Congratulations!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Well done on the 3rd place AG.  Always nice to finish near the top.

One thing I took away from your RR is your reliance on the Garmin.  Your first mile was 8:32 which is not far off your goal.  I am suggesting that next time you race a 10k, forget looking at the watch and run it by feel.  If that first mile didn't feel so bad, then keep that pace.  I also understand that you are in the middle of MRT but do not underestimate the positive impact of a good solid race on your overall fitness.  Like a hard tempo run, this pushes you but does not kill you for the next week or so.  Overall really nice job.

outoftheblue

Zel  - And no riverbank views either!  Riverbank is the name of the town and some of the houses we ran by backed up to the river, but we couldn't see it.  Th only time I saw the river was when I crossed it on my drive to the race.  And, yet, the women with the hat was one of the two.  The second is the women in the pinkish shirt just barely visible in the background.

Lauren, Ginny Briiliant, Scotty and Docket -- Thanks for the nice words.

4outa5 -- Very good point about the garmin.  I've become addicted to that thing and it isn't always useful.  I need to find the courage to set it to display only time and just run my pacing be feel.

Life is good.

LRB

I need to find the courage to set it display only time and just running my pacing be feel.

I have done it and it takes a lot of practice.  It should begin with your training runs before you carry it over to races, this way, you can guess your pace so to speak during the last mile of an easy run or during the middle of a set of intervals without coming up empty handed during a race by running slower than you thought.  Although coming up empty handed during a race will also teach you, and an argument can be made that it is the best teacher.  YMMV.

Congrats OOTB!

Well-written report, aren't all hills bonuses?  Wink

It looks like you are warping reality itself with your speed in the pic, the traffic cones are sinking into the pavement!

B-Plus

No wine and cheese at the aid stations? Congrats on the PR!

delicate flower

Nice going on the mid-marathon training PR!  Those suckers are hard to come by.  It's a good sign when you go into a race on tired legs and still PR it.

Bummer about the misleading name for a race.  I hate it when that happens.  I had a similar experience earlier this year when I ran the "Battle Day 5K."  Here I was expecting to run a 5K during a battle, but low and behold it was just another 5K.

<3

outoftheblue

Jay -- That's funny about the cones looking warped.  I didn't notice that before.  Maybe I entered the Matrix.

B+ -- Wine AT the aid stations would have really made the race special!

Baboon -- Thanks for the nice words and laugh about "Battle Day 5K".  Although a 5K does feels like a battle, so maybe there is some truth there after all.

Life is good.

Congratulations on the PR!  That's a nice floater.

I definitely would have been disappointed with no wine or cheese at the finish.