Beginners and Beyond

My cat calls went from.... (Read 229 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

you're on a roll tonight

If you want to hand out your number and put your phone on speaker phone we can say stuff to you. You shouldn't feel left out.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

MrNamtor

One time a really fat, 50-something African-American woman looked at me as I ran by and said "mmm.mmm.mmm.mmm.MMMM!"

Hope no one takes offense at the specifics of the description, but i think you need it to really get the whole picture.

Occasionally, I hear someone channeling Ric Flair. Sometimes, I hear "Good job!" or "Keep It Up!" I don't receive comments on my body. Maybe because I run in a skirt that comes past my knees and a top that covers my collarbone and elbows year-round.

Once, at a race, some fool who thought I wasn't Greek commented, in a very not nice way, to the person with whom he was, about my wearing a skirt and a long-sleeve top in June in Greek, thinking I wouldn't understand. Shock and awe ensued when I responded in our mama tongue.

Little Blue

I'm doing it wrong.  I only ever get asked for directions. Shy

you're on a roll tonight

unfortunately I only get two decent jokes a month and I used them up within 2 minutes of each other.

wait, maybe those dont qualify as decent so I might get more jokes later Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

BruceD555

No cat calls for me ... in fact I can only remember two times someone has yelled at me while I was running.

First one was from a car that drove past & yelled "Get on the sidewalk" to which I turned and yelled back "There isn't a sidewalk"  (That 3/4 mile section of the road doesn't have a sidewalk at all)

The second was last summer and I was running at about 2 pm when the temperature was over 100 degrees and a bicycle went zipping by and the rider yelled "What are you doing out here in the heat? We're both IDIOTS!" ... to which I wheezed back "Yes!"  It turns out that the guy on the bike was actually a friend of mine but neither of us recognized each other at the time.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Docket_Rocket

They are true!

D, you made me laugh out loud!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mostly harmless

One time a really fat, 50-something African-American woman looked at me as I ran by and said "mmm.mmm.mmm.mmm.MMMM!"

Hope no one takes offense at the specifics of the description, but i think you need it to really get the whole picture.

This reminds me of one of the best compliments I ever received.  This was during a time when I was biking a lot. One day as I was leaving the office building where I worked to go on a lunch time bike ride  I was greeted with "You have pretty nice legs. <long pause> For a white boy". High praise indeed!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

GC100k

One of my favorite compliments was years ago I was playing pickup basketball, dunked on this guy, and he said:

"sheeeet! You one long-leggedy leapin white boy".

sirdizzy

I am like my former fatman poster child for my city or something, rarely does a week go by that I don't get someone come up to me or stop their car (I don't get the cat calls I get people who actually stop their car to say something) and say how inspirational I am or how how awesome I am.

Last Friday we get home from doing some shopping and its like 8pm and I am starving (swim days leave me ravished) and I am like that cranky guy from the snickers commercial when I am hungry (we had takeout).  There is this stupid rent-a-center truck double parked behind our parking space so I finally squeeze my car in and yell hey jacktard nice job double parking you SOB.  Well the guy I was yelling at wasn't the rent-a-center guy.  He comes over and all of a sudden he is telling me how much he admires me and my wife goes can't we go anywhere without someone telling you how big of an inspiration you are to them (when we went and got our passports last month same thing Smile ).  I felt bad yelled at some random dude who did nothing but compliment me, but man I was hungry darn swim days.

I need to figure out someway to parlay my fatman poster child into sponsors.  LOL although they know me at a lot of races and I get tons of free stuff at races (got a nice $200 pair of sunglasses at a triathlon in November).  Last Saturday I had my single worst race ever a dualthon where I got 2 flat tires on the bike portion and then rode 2 miles off course after getting lost and came in DFL (although I nearly caught people on the run despite losing over 40 minutes on the bike) and the RD left me one of the big prize baskets at the end.  But man there's gotta be a way to get fatman sponsors haha I figured out a layway program on a new fancy triathlon bike with my favorite bike shop we are going to order a part at a time and he is going to build me a custom built bicycle and I will just pay for it one part at a time haha anyone want to sponsor a portion of my bike like a wheel, maybe a saddle, crank set Smile

GC100k

At home I never run on roads and so don't get catcalls, just greetings from fellow trail people.

But I spend part of the year in Belize and in my main town people always laugh outloud at me and say "pick it up", "go faster", or something similar.  I don't really get it.  There are locals out running and large foreign white people like me are not uncommon.  I take it in stride.  People are real friendly and always greet eachother, but when just walking around it's "hey Doc" from those who know me and "good day" from those who don't.  I must really look funny and slow when running to bring out the laughter and shouts.

hvmorfun

mad cow

Last Friday we get home from doing some shopping and its like 8pm and I am starving (swim days leave me ravished

I'm sorry....but I laughed so hard my Diet Coke came out my nose.

You know, evil comes in many forms, be it a man-eating cow or Joseph Stalin. But you can't let the package hide the pudding. Evil is just plain bad. You don't cotton to it. You gotta smack it on the nose with the rolled up newspaper of goodness. Bad dog! Bad dog!

SheCan

i had a dog bark at me once but then he licked himself.....

LMFAO!!!!  There was definitely something to that!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

MrNamtor

I'm sorry....but I laughed so hard my Diet Coke came out my nose.

Diz probably goes to the public pool. Lot's of bad stuff goes down over there.

Luke79

heh...he said jacktard.