Beginners and Beyond

Are you faster than a 75 year old? (Read 391 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Depends on which 75 yo you're talking about. I'm faster than some 25 yos. Does that count for anything?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Jess runs for bacon

Not even close (hey, Scotty Dog, you can beat me in a 5k!) but I'm faster than myself a year ago.

CrisRuns

Yes, I was able to beat her on the mile when I was healthy. Not now.

workinprogress11

I've never run a mile race, but based on my 5k PR, McMillan says I'm slower than a 75 year old by 14 seconds.  Maybe I'll be as fast as her by the time I'm 75. Sigh.

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Phew... I'm faster than the 75 year old.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Walk-Jogger

Impressive and inspiring! I can beat the gentleman at 400m, but not at the shorter distances at the moment! Maybe by the time I'm his age in 17 years, I'll get that much faster at the sprints???  Or maybe not... 

Retired &  Loving It

Walk-Jogger

Depends on which 75 yo you're talking about. I'm faster than some 25 yos. Does that count for anything?

I'm much faster now than my 25 YO non-running self was...

Retired &  Loving It

You gonna eat that?

I've got a while to catch up.

Goorun

Some of these older runners are amazing.

I see this lady on my runs once in a while (the article is a few years old, but she still runs).

80-year-old runner sets marathon record

Betty Jean McHugh set a world record Sunday at the 29th Royal Victoria Marathon -- and that's not even the most interesting part of her story.

By Times Colonist (Victoria) October 14, 2008

Betty Jean McHugh set a world record Sunday at the 29th Royal Victoria Marathon -- and that's not even the most interesting part of her story.

She ran for four hours, 36 minutes and 52 seconds, and pushed through the finish line to loud cheers from the crowd and the booming voice of the announcer. The real kicker? She's 80 years old.

"I just run because I like it, I don't keep good records at all," said McHugh, a mother of four and grandmother of four.

"I knew I was feeling good and running well. I knew there was a possibility [for a world record] but I didn't push myself. I probably could have done better, but one of my friends said, 'Just keep it at a certain rate.'"

With more than 13 Canadian and world records to her name, McHugh is a well-known dynamo in the running world. Sunday's record was for all women 80 years and older on a 42.195-kilometre course. McHugh took 13 minutes off the record of Helen Klein, who ran the New York City Marathon in four hours, 49 minutes and 52 seconds in 2004.

McHugh, a retired nurse from North Vancouver, has been running since her 50s. But she wasn't even sure she'd make it to this year's Victoria race after she was tripped and injured twice by dogs last year while out training.

That temporarily limited her training regime, which starts at 5:45 a.m. three days a week and concludes with a long run on the weekend.

But McHugh said the support of her entourage -- a group of six or seven female friends who help her run and organize her events -- made participating in the Royal Victoria Marathon possible. "They actually deserve a medal," she said. "It was a world record for them too."

Next in her sights is the Honolulu Marathon, in Hawaii on Dec. 14. By then she'll be 81.

"I'll see how I feel," she said. "I won't be pushing it."

There's also a half-marathon in Vancouver in June that's on her radar, and a long-term goal to be at the New York City Marathon next November.

But McHugh said Victoria's event stands out for its great organization, good people and -- sometimes, like this year -- fine weather.

"Today I feel great," she said yesterday, while recuperating at her North Vancouver home.

"My joints are a little sore but I'm walking upright.

"As I told my family, it beats staying in the kitchen cooking a turkey."

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Love the Half

I have long said that while I admire those folks running sub 5:00 pace marathons, I don't find them anywhere nearly as inspirational as the masters runners who are out there running incredible times and I don't find them as inspirational as the folks who have been getting out there 20 or 30 or 40 years.  Folks like Mike and George and Goo are the folks I want to emulate (even if I'll never sniff Goo's times).  My long term goal encapsulates it nicely.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).