Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 41 CASA Movie Superhero 5K (Read 8 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  For this event, we had some pretty bright sunshine, and a mix of clouds and shadows so a couple of the photos are kind of dark, with that sun-and-shadow play.  My camera is not 'sophisticated" at all, lol.  However, at  least the photos are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%2041%20CASA%20Movie%20Superhero%205K

Before My Start

The CASA Movie Superhero 5K was my 41st race of 2018.  In addition to the 5K, there was also a kids run.  Held on June 9 in New Braunfels Texas at the Stars N Stripes Drive-In Movie Theater.  Yep, there actually are a few drive-in movie theaters left and this is a pretty nice one. The owners kindly opened the venue for this event, put on by local area race management company Athlete Guild, in support of CASA Central Texas.  CASA is Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) for children and these trained volunteers speak for the children who need an advocate on their side, primarily neglected children, abused children, abandoned children, etc. This event had a 'super hero" theme, so a few people were in costume and there was a costume contest for kids and adults. Race start time of 8 a.m.  I arrived with a about 45 minutes to go to start time and got some pre-start photos.

Athlete Guild folks who did the course setup, timing results...

Me with the AG guys...wearing my Sloth socks....representing my running pace, lol.

With my speedy friend, Don, who always finishes ahead of me. Well, unless he is battling an injury or ache...and then it's about a tie, lol.  Even injured he is still speedy

A couple of the sponsors who had tents there....Camp Gladiator and Orange Theory

With friend Dave of CG, and the official photographer.  This is an unofficial photo...

Ladies representing CASA

Various participants, supporters, etc.   Yes, the doggies did get treats from me.

Deadpool

On The Course

I have done one 5K here before so knew what to expect.   Start on the movie theater grounds, out to the road in front of the theater, right turn and up a hill - well, more like a long up incline - then a right turn and down an incline to another road, left turn onto a third road, out to a turn-round point on that road and then back the way we'd come out.  So going back to the finish, that incline we'd come down was now an up incline - but then after we made the turn onto the road we'd first come out on it was then a down incline to the theater entrance and then flat - sort of flat - on the theater grounds back to the finish.  Pretty nicely laid out course but no shade for most of it; so it was pretty warm, and very humid. By the time we started at 8 a.m., it was already nearly 80 degrees. This is our running life in Texas spring and summer, lol.

Looking back where I'd just been.  That banner back there is the road entrance to the movie theater.

Made the turn onto the 2nd road of the course...this was a down incline heading to the turn-round road

Looking  behind me at what we will have to climb up on the way back to the finish

A view of the movie screen from the road we were on.  We were definitlely on 'country roads..'

Overall winner already heading back to the finish

On the road where the turn-round point was.  I have made the turn-round and am heading toward the finish.

Looking behind me....

Looking ahead of me....

After tnat, nonstop back to the finish.  34 minutes and change, 3rd in my age group.  There were only 3 in my age group, lol.

After My Finish

First thing I did was get some water and hydrate and then got a finish photo of one of the guys I'd been chatting with before the race.

then I went and sat in the concession area of the theater, cooling down in the a/c.....ahhh, so nice. Then it was time to get some more "after photos."

Deadpool coming in.  At times, he actually did wear the mask on as he ran, but not for long periods in this humidity and heat.

Happy finishers, supporters, etc.

Made sure to stay a bit away from her as I was sweating like crazy

Medal winner

Costume contest winners, adult

The 3 guys in my age group

My friend here got a medal also

Thank you movie owners and staff.  Great venue!

Epilogue

In spite of the heat and humidity - which basically we just learn to live with and then get it done just like, I'm sure, runners and walkers do in other warm places too such as Arizona, Miami, etc - this was a very enjoyable event.  Fairly small turnout - 73 finishers - but that just made it all the more friendly for me; lots of camaraderie among the participants, nice conversation, smiles, encouraging each other on the course, etc.  A very nice and unusual race venue, a somewhat challenging course - especially for a slow old dog like me, lol - and  lots of good people. . Pretty nice quality race tees - I got a youth medium and gave it to the CASA folks to give to a CASA child - and nice medals for AG awards, which went to the 1st 3 in each age group and - nice touch - each AG winner got two passes to use at the drive-in theater, nice. Post race goodies included hot dogs and fries from the theater concessionaire.  Also, we had use of the theater restrooms too, nice.  And such a wide area - this theater has two screens on the property - plenty of parking for everyone.  This one is definitely worth doing and for a really great cause too. I certainly would recommend this one and I certainly would do it again.

A first BIG THANK YOU  to the owners and staff of the movie theater for opening their venue for us and also for serving up all those great post-race goodies. Thanks to all the sponsors, vendors, Athlete Guild for the course lay-out, timing, results, etc, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here. Thank you so much for what all of you do so we participants can have an event like this.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

We've been lucky here. No humidity or heat to speak of, yet...

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

We've been lucky here. No humidity or heat to speak of, yet...

Must be nice.

At least this week we are not in the hundreds any more...we are all the way down to the upper 90s now... 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt