Beginners and Beyond

Still Covered in Spam (Read 440 times)

Love the Half

Unreal.  I ventured to look at the RWOL BF at 1:30 p.m. EST, Nov 27 and it's completely spammed.  We are now approaching a week in which the forum has been unusable.  That tells me pretty much all I need to know about how seriously Rodale takes the forums.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Meat Wagon

Puker

What is this RWOL BF that you speak of?

Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive.

delicate flower

Don't worry...they are hopeful they get a solution from Pluck yesterday. 

<3

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Yeah, it is pretty obvious how much they care, isn't it? Even if they granted moderator powers to regular users, the spam would still be completely out of control.

runfoolery

Hey, there were a few hours when the spammers took a break.

Don't worry...they are hopeful they get a solution from Pluck yesterday. 

lol.  Here's a post from eleven months ago:

12/22/2011, 7:46 AM

Report Abuse

Kevin Knabe

Score: 1

Re: The forums of RWOL - an essay

Thus sayeth Mark:

"More changes are coming, as well. In 2012, we'll be overhauling our online tools, adding some exciting new 'channels' (stay tuned), and migrating the whole enchilada onto a new content-management platform."  (Mark Remy - RW Daily, Dec. 21, 2012)

We are not planning on making piecemeal fixes to the forums software in 2012.  At this point, we are enchilada shopping.

LRB

I am no software junky in the slightest form, so I don't know shit from shat when it comes to spam and how to fight it.  But the architect of this site wrote a semi-fascinating piece on his pseudo war against spam.

If you have not read it, take a few minutes and check it out (here) and you will conclude as I have that the BF as we once knew it, is likely gone forever.

Docket_Rocket

If they wanted to close the forums, they could've just say so.  No need to make us go.  Sheesh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

12/22/2011, 7:46 AM

Report Abuse

Kevin Knabe

Score: 1

Re: The forums of RWOL - an essay

Thus sayeth Mark:

"More changes are coming, as well. In 2012, we'll be overhauling our online tools, adding some exciting new 'channels' (stay tuned), and migrating the whole enchilada onto a new content-management platform."  (Mark Remy - RW Daily, Dec. 21, 2012)

We are not planning on making piecemeal fixes to the forums software in 2012.  At this point, we are enchilada shopping.

This is funny. 

Well, not really.

Another thread on the spammers on RWOL?  I've committed to staying here, paid the $10 for additional features, etc. so no longer concerned about RWOL.  If you feel the same way, then let's eliminate yet another thread about the spammers.  Besides, the spammers aren't the only issue.  Let's move on.  If you've decided to go back to RWOL, great...save the ones who aren't, the RWOL play by play.

And yes I realize I am but one opinion.

xor

I thought I'd bump this just to piss off runforfun. 

Heh.

Actually, for a couple more culture notes:

1. We get spam here too sometimes.  Please Dear God in Heaven, do not freak the hell out when you see a spam thread.  It'll get dealt with directly and brutally.  As part of that, please don't bump old threads with the simple message "bump" because you encounter a spam thread.  I'm serious. I realize that was part of RWOL culture, but it was kind of a strange thing.  Not only did it not work, not only was it a ton of effort by a well-meaning person, but it just made us open a bunch of threads thinking there would be new content only to see the word BUMP.  For to please don't do that here.

2. I'm sure RWOL has "several" people working on the issues.  Look, they don't want you.  RA does.  For real, even if you don't all feel the love in the same way yet.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Thanks for the info. At that other place, there was no one actively combating the spam so regular posters had to do something to keep the forum somewhat usable, but you already know that. It is nice to know that crap won't happen here on the same level. RWOL's lack of genuine attention to the matter and utter unresponsiveness to user feedback only proves what you just said. They don't want us there. I'm looking forward to settling in here, learning some new stuff, and "meeting" some new people. Again, thanks for your guidance. Smile
                          MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Man, y'all sound like a bunch of jilted lovers!!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Hah! Maybe we should spread rumors that the BF is a slut.
                              stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Ha! I just realized what's missing in my other groups......they aren't talking about spam. It's like entering another dimension. One day, maybe this place will be like that.