Beginners and Beyond

Racing With A GPS Device: Do You Have A Plan B? (Read 115 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

You could always go old school Flintstones sundial watch if it is a sunny day.

Plan B?  Yeah, stay home and drink beer.

You people have issues 

LRB

You could always go old school Flintstones sundial watch if it is a sunny day. 

Or count each step!  Cool

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Or count each step!  Cool

Then if you count he time between steps and the distance of each step you can get your speed!

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Pacing the first mile in a 5K is my most important issue (I don't often do races over 5K) so the backup plan would probably be to run that mile conservatively and then run like hell once I pass the 1 mile mark. Alternatively, I know many of the local racers and I would pace off someone whose times I am familiar with.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

RSX

My backup plan is to run. My GPS watch is a no frills NB one, which I have had since Christmas. I can't see the time unless I move it closer to my eyes but am more concerned about the distance. When there isn't much time left I run harder.

I ran the same January 5k 2 years in a row. 2012 was with a regular running watch, and 2013 was with GPS. Last year I ran it with friends and we paced each other. This year I ran with GPS and was exactly 1 second slower.