Beginners and Beyond

Choosing a 10K goal (Read 50 times)

Cyberic

You're mean.  

I need SOME sort of guideline... or I go out way too fast and die.

Except for the marathon distance, the Daniels charts and McMillan work pretty well. You just ran 6 5ks. If you don't want to take the best one and go conservative, take your average time, plug that in the calculators, and shoot for that. Even if you can't hold it, I don't think it will be so off than you're going to blow up. You might surprise yourself.

Or, like LRB said, go out at a slightly slower clip than suggested by the calculators, and accelerate to the pace given by the calculators. You might surprise yourself.

Hip Redux

It took me longer to read this thread than it will take Blue to run the 10k.

bluerun

Super B****

It took me longer to read this thread than it will take Blue to run the 10k.

I hope you're a fast reader.  

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

bluerun

Super B****

Except for the marathon distance, the Daniels charts and McMillan work pretty well. You just ran 6 5ks. If you don't want to take the best one and go conservative, take your average time, plug that in the calculators, and shoot for that. Even if you can't hold it, I don't think it will be so off than you're going to blow up. You might surprise yourself.

Or, like LRB said, go out at a slightly slower clip than suggested by the calculators, and accelerate to the pace given by the calculators. You might surprise yourself.

I like this idea.

The average of the six 5Ks is 21:45, which equates to a 45:10 10K (per both McMillans and Daniels), a 7:16 pace.  I suppose trying to stay as close as possible to 7:15 actually does make sense.

Of course, this is all moot if the forecast doesn't improve, because right now, it's looking like it might be similar conditions to that 48:02. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

I suppose trying to stay as close as possible to 7:15 actually does make sense.

You're welcome.

Dave