Beginners and Beyond

Clawson Runs 1 Mile Race Report (Read 65 times)

B-Plus

Great shots!

Zelanie

5 minutes to run, a lifetime to master.  I applaud your training and your efforts in something that is an altogether different kind of effort than most of us are willing to put ourselves through.

I wonder if you did outrun your fitness a tad in that first quarter with all those rabbits around you.  I know that I have experienced what I can only describe as my eyes playing tricks on me at races when I'm surrounded by people running faster than I know I should run.  For a brief time, it looks and feels like I'm running my pace and letting them by, but my watch often says I'm too fast, even so.

I am super impressed with your work at training and racing, thanks for the report!

LRB

I wonder if you did outrun your fitness a tad in that first quarter with all those rabbits around you.

Here are my quarter mile splits from my race in May:

1:14

1:28

1:26

1:20

Compared with Friday:

1:15

1:23

It's actually feels right to me, I just need to suck it up for that second quarter.  If I did that and the 3rd quarter remained the same there would be less whining from me and more wine in me. 

on my way to badass

Smokin'....

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

happylily

I declare that all men should wear short shorts like these and look as good in them as you do, LRB. After all, we carry your babies and give birth to them, it's the least you guys can do for us. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

I declare that all men should wear short shorts like these and look as good in them as you do, LRB. After all, we carry your babies and give birth to them, it's the least you guys can do for us. 

I have a pair of split shorts that I have yet to race in as well.  Them ridiculous things will probably not be visible under the singlet at all, and it will look like I am running commando. 

happylily

I have a pair of split shorts that I have yet to race in as well.  Them ridiculous things will probably not be visible under the singlet at all, and it will look like I am running commando. 

LOL... you could fix that by going shirtless. 

No more marathons

Here are my quarter mile splits from my race in May:

1:14

1:28

1:26

Compared with Friday:

1:15

It's actually feels right to me, I just need to suck it up for that second quarter.  If I did that and the 3rd quarter remained the same there would be less whining from me and more wine in me. 

Definitely a move in the right direction.  The mile really isn't too much different from a 5k or 10k - the middle " splits" tend to be the slowest - it's mostly a mental thing.  If you could shave another second or two off that first quarter I'd guess 1:20s to the finish is within reach.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

MI_Tim

Nice job. The 5k at this race (2008) was the first race I ever did. They held it in the afternoon.

MI_Tim

+1 on this. The top miler on my track team always has his slowest 400 on the second lap. There was nothing I could do or say.

Definitely a move in the right direction.  The mile really isn't too much different from a 5k or 10k - the middle " splits" tend to be the slowest - it's mostly a mental thing.  If you could shave another second or two off that first quarter I'd guess 1:20s to the finish is within reach.

LRB

Nice job. The 5k at this race (2008) was the first race I ever did. They held it in the afternoon.

It's at 7:30 pm now the Sunday prior to the Fourth of July.  I thought about running it this year briefly but chickened out!

lily there have been a lot of things running-wise that I swore I would never do (including wearing them ridiculous short shorts) but running shirtless probably will never happen.  lol

Thanks for the advice and comments all, it's giving me something to think about for sure!

happylily

It's at 7:30 pm now the Sunday prior to the Fourth of July.  I thought about running it this year briefly but chickened out!

lily there have been a lot of things running-wise that I swore I would never do (including wearing them ridiculous short shorts) but running shirtless probably will never happen.  lol

Thanks for the advice and comments all, it's giving me something to think about for sure!

There goes my dream. Thanks for nothing, eh... 

LRB

There goes my dream. Thanks for nothing, eh... 

eh.  lol

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Wow, those things are short! Also, did that kid next to finish with you? He can't be more than 10 or 11. That would be an amazing time for him.

LRB

Also, did that kid next to finish with you? He can't be more than 10 or 11. That would be an amazing time for him.

Yes, 13 years old and finished in 5:25.