Beginners and Beyond

Consecutive days running... (Read 74 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Without realizing it, I have a 39 consecutive day running streak. I wasn't trying for that, it just kind of happened. I noticed about 21 days and didn't think anything of it and now it's 39.  When I was marathon training, I was completely OCD and took days off when the plan said. Now, I am training for a HM, but on the rest days I will go out and run 3-5 miles easy pace. I am running about 40-45 mpw and do two speed sessions, one long run (easy pace), and four easy runs.  I know some people put in way more mileage than that and insist on a day or two off, but some don't. Some people even run doubles (Sly).

From what I've read, some say getting a run in every day is good and some say it will only lead to injury. What are your thoughts on running every day?  As of now, I can't tell if it's a good or a bad thing for me, but I feel fine. Actually, I kind of like it.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've rarely ever scheduled days off. I take one when I feel I need it or when other aspects of life interfere.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

hog4life

I've only done 7 or 8 consecutive days, my body says rest. Sorry, no other advice.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I've rarely ever scheduled days off. I take one when I feel I need it or when other aspects of life interfere.

Well I am not doing doubles now, but I hear you.

I agree with WC, I grudgingly take a day off when it feels required.

As far as my take on consecutive days and or doubles and health: I think it is all relative to how running fit a runner is.

LRB

As far as my take on consecutive days and or doubles and health: I think it is all relative to how running fit a runner is.

Agreed.

I run 6 days a week but not because I cannot run 7 days, it's because I do not really want to run 7.

I have run 21 days consecutively without much of a mental burden or major issue, I just look forward to my Monday off day so running 6 days is perfect for me.

If you are not having any issues then by all means, if the shoe fits run in that bitch!

delicate flower

Klompus, I'd say just do what you are comfortable with.  If the 39 day streak doesn't feel like a physical and mental burden, then don't worry about it.  I probably run 9 out of 10 days on average without really feeling taxed.  When I do feel tired, a couple of light days usually makes me feel good again.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Nice job.  I sometimes need that rest day (if at least from running).  I admire those that can and do well on streaks.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Running streaks become a problem only when they begin to take on a life of their own and continuing the streak simply for the sake of keeping it going unbroken becomes the goal even when prudence says otherwise. Of course if you don't know anyone named Prudence this is a moot point.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mmmmm...beer

I say if you feel good, keep going.  I've been doing the same thing, just running a lil less/lil easier for a rest day, instead of taking a whole day off, and I feel better than I ever have.  The more I run, the better I feel.  I'm on a 23 day streak, with a 25 day streak before that and just that week off when I sprained my ankle in between.  I'm not focused on the streak, and have no problem taking time off if needed, but at least for me, the consistency seems to be really paying off.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

It's great if you can do it, Jack. Personally, I don't think I would enjoy it, mentally and physically. And I'm not convinced that it is all that useful at the level of training I am doing (which is that of a hobby jogger, as LRB would say). But if you, you enjoy it, then there's nothing wrong with it. It's exercising a form of mental and physical discipline which I'm sure is very helpful at the level you guys are.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Funny I was going to post something like this a while back. I had been running 6 days comfortably for some time, never a single week with 7, and no real interest in doing so or starting a streak. Then I had a race on Memorial Day, which messed with my schedule because Monday had always been my rest day. Long story short, that started a 27-day streak. Which ended with recurrence of an injury. Of course there is no way to tell whether the streak contributed directly to the the injury, but it will certainly be in my head, so not likely to try another one any time soon.

Like anything with running, I guess it is the old "experiment of one" theory. Works great for some people, others do better with rest days. I liked having the extra day because it made it easier to keep up the weekly mileage. But it did start to feel like a grind, like I never felt fresh. Maybe with more time I would've gotten used to it. I had originally intended to go with 7 days for my marathon training, even though the plan only called for 6. But at this point if I am actually able to get into it, I will stick with the 6.

Dave

PADRunner

Running streaks become a problem only when they begin to take on a life of their own and continuing the streak simply for the sake of keeping it going unbroken becomes the goal even when prudence says otherwise. Of course if you don't know anyone named Prudence this is a moot point.

I know this!

I had 130 last year and my knees just couldn't take it. I'm pretty good about my rest days now.

tracilynn

Jack, take a day off and drink a beer or 3.

~~~~~~~

Traci

happylily

That is mean to tempt him this way.  The man is on a mission!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

SheCan

Hahaha!  I know I'd need to....

I take days off mostly because I like having days where I don't run. It gives my life balance.  I think my body probably needs light days, whether a totally non-running day is necessary or not, I dunno.  My mind and soul, though, say "Yes, baby, drink wine tonight; sleep in tomorrow!"

EDIT:  but, but but, if you feel good running every day you should!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson