Beginners and Beyond

Finally Freaking out Friday Penguins (Read 23 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Ginny I didn't really do any "marathon pace" runs per say.  I just ran easy/however I felt like it for the most part.  A 5 hour marathon is an 11:26 average pace.

My 20 miler was just under a 12 min/mile pace.

I did the last half of the course 2 weeks ago at a 11:31 pace and felt fine.

I did a 10 miler last weekend at a 11:03 pace and that also felt comfortable.

I ran a half on October 4th in 2:16:05 - a 10:24 pace.

I know that the Higdon plans called for a pace run, but I didn't really know my pace so I didn't really do them at any given pace and just treated them like any other run.  I think I'll try to hit the half around 2:30 or so and see how I'm feeling from there.  It is going to be warm (for a marathon) on Sunday so I really have no idea what to expect.  High of 64 with 67% humidity.  I don't start until 11am so I will certainly be running during the hottest part of the day.

MTA: made my log public now.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Sapf, what about that "running by colors, strategy where you base your pace on how you feel at different points in the race?

I think the link is on the link thread.

Docket_Rocket

Jill - what marathon pace did you train with?  How did it feel? I used the basic formula of HM x 2 +20, which worked for me, doing pretty much the same training.  Good luck tomorrow and have fun.

Mitch - have fun tomorrow at your race.  Where is it?

Lauren - good job on the early morning run.  I've occasionally had that when hiking:  "That stump looks like a bear.  Oh wait, it is a bear."  Though usually it isn't.

D - enjoy your short run.  Is this a cutback week after last week's excesses?

Jerry - I hope the long run went well.

Allison - stomach virus?  I hope you feel better today.

Z - have fun with your 5th graders.  How long a run?

HM - would definitely like to see a photo of your costume. We have the issue of an excitable dog too, but I enjoy giving out candy on Halloween, so we'll probably just put him in the downstairs bathroom. In MD we'd only get about 5 people. Here in PA we get 50 or so. But it's only for two hours, and I think Ben can handle that.

AFM:  I'll do 4 or so later.  I'm feeling awfully stiff and sore, for no good reason.  Maybe HM taper madness?  Or maybe the yard work I did yesterday has come back to bite me.  (I pulled out all the frozen flowers and tomato plants.)

Cutback week?  You're tripping!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I'll look for it Smile

Sapf, what about that "running by colors, strategy where you base your pace on how you feel at different points in the race?

I think the link is on the link thread.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

6 mile tempo.

sapf: best of luck to you.

tracilynn

Good luck sapf!

~~~~~~~

Traci

LRB

I know that the Higdon plans called for a pace run, but I didn't really know my pace so I didn't really do them at any given pace and just treated them like any other run.

That will work just fine. I ran my first marathon at easy pace (yes, you read that right) and was ecstatic when I staggered across that finish line!

Do not let the pressure of expectations weigh you down and try to keep things simple and enjoy what really should be an exciting time for you. Set a simple goal like taking fluids at every stop or not walking between aid stations and let the rest take care of itself.

You have made it to race day weekend healthy, which is something that escapes many. There is nothing left but to be smart and give this bitch everything you have come hell or high water, expectations be damned.