Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins (Read 22 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Happy Monday Pens!

Probably just a little streak run for me today.  Definitely on the treadmill because the temperature dropped 30 degrees overnight.

Allison - congrats on the new HM PR.  You are really killing it :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Morning, pens!

Congrats, Allison!

Hoping for 8 after work.

From the Internet.

I ran a HM today and squeaked by with another PR. Which I didn't expect at all because my training has been so lousy lately. It was the Ventura Hammer HM.  Very nice, small (208 runners), inexpensive ($50) race with free breakfast at the end!

That's lifetime mileage paying dividends Smile Congrats!

My mileage has taken a nosedive. Still nursing this calf thing and writing my GD thesis, which might kill me. I am inclined to quit right now and just choose to fight the biggest snake available :P Anyway, I'm alive and I'll pop back in at the end of the week after I'm free from the shackles of graduate education!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I had a busy crazy weekend, with a chorus party on Saturday and an appreciation reception for our church pastor on Sunday.  I will say that both the crock pot Korean beef and the brie-stuffed mushrooms turned out well!!  The chorus party was funny, though, as nobody signed up for plates or flatware.  Quickie run to the grocery store!
            I just finished watching this, which is hilarious!

Ted talk, replying to spam email

Jill -- have a good streak run!!  Isn't it awfully cold to go nudie?  Oh, I see it's a TM nudie run.

Zelanie -- have a good 8!!

Lauren -- I've been there re the dissertation.  Just keep chipping away at it!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jill, have a good streak run.  Do you have to go to a gym for the treadmill?

Lauren, you'll look back on this one day with fondness.  I think.  I actually have no idea since I only have a bachelor's degree. Big grin

Zel, have a great eight.

Hopesmom, the food sounds yummy!

No running for me today.  I'm a little stiff but happy to report that my foot feels great!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Sorry I have been MIA but I was at Disney running 48.6 miles total with 4 races, and 6 medals.  I'm beat, ha.  More details later, as I am back at work.  Boo.

Congrats, Brilliant!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Jill, have a good streak run.  Do you have to go to a gym for the treadmill?

Yes - but the gym is in the bottom floor of my 40 floor apartment building, so I don't have to go far =P

From the Internet.

I FINISHED A CHAPTER. Only three more plus references and appendix and CV and formatting and abstract to finalize! Big grin The one I finished had the most figures and stuff to assemble and interpret, so the rest (which is already partially written) hopefully will not be quite as insane. I don't think I strictly *need* the formatting or CV or abstract to be done this week either, so that's all at the bottom of the priority totem pole until I get the actual writing and presentation polished.

Robert31320

Team TJ

2 for me.

Running for TJ because he can't.

SheCan

WTG on your Half & PR,  Brilliant!  So glad you're not feeling many aches today.

Jill--- brrrrrr@ dropping 30*!  How long have you been doing the streak so far?

Hey ya Zel!   Good luck on getting your run in tonight.

Lauren--- you have a lot of stressors right now.  I'm not surprised that it might eat into your running time.  Woooohooo@ your update and getting stuff done.

HM-- sounds like you had a fun, busy weekend.

DR-- wow, can't wait to read the report(s)!    I figured with all your drunk racing, and and all that that you just didn't have time for us anymore.  :-P

Good job getting out there, Robert!

Was a nice crisp, sunny run today.  Got 7 miles, not as many as I woulda liked but it's alright.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

PADRunner

I just finished watching this, which is hilarious!

Ted talk, replying to spam email

I saw that yesterday. Cracked me up...

RD + gym for me today.

Docket_Rocket

WTG on your Half & PR,  Brilliant!  So glad you're not feeling many aches today.

Jill--- brrrrrr@ dropping 30*!  How long have you been doing the streak so far?

Hey ya Zel!   Good luck on getting your run in tonight.

Lauren--- you have a lot of stressors right now.  I'm not surprised that it might eat into your running time.  Woooohooo@ your update and getting stuff done.

HM-- sounds like you had a fun, busy weekend.

DR-- wow, can't wait to read the report(s)!    I figured with all your drunk racing, and and all that that you just didn't have time for us anymore.  :-P

Good job getting out there, Robert!

Was a nice crisp, sunny run today.  Got 7 miles, not as many as I woulda liked but it's alright.

You were saying?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Haha!!!!!   Yay!   Thank you, DR!   Is that a screwdriver in your hand?

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Jill - I hope your TM run went well.  This week it's going to be hard to do outdoor runs. As mild as this winter has been, it's hard to get used to the cold again.

Lauren - congratulations on getting your hardest chapter done.  It's all downhill from here, right? It will be a very small snake.

Allison - I'm glad you're not too sore from your race.  Enjoy the rest.

Damaris - woo hoo!  You must be exhausted, but it sounds like you had fun. Will you do it again?

Z - enjoy your eight this evening.

HopesMom - Your party food sounds delicious.

Robert - you keep chugging away.  Good work.

Cherie - seven miles is a nice distance.  Enough to feel exercised, but not so much you need to recover.

PAD - I hope your gym workout went well.

AFM:  a chilly day, but sunny (31 feels like 22) so I ran 5.5 outside.  It wasn't too bad except when I was running into the wind, which was also into the sun, so I was blinded by the light and the tears in my eyes.  I intended to keep it easy but ended up going too fast because of the cold. Still, it was a good run.