Beginners and Beyond

Advice for training for a 2nd 10K 6 weeks after 1st (Read 131 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

My first 10K is tomorrow. The same organization just announced that they are going to be putting on another 10K on January 26th. It is in a park I absolutely love to run in (it is by my old apartment and I'm a little sentimental about it...it is where I ran my first run ever, and I returned there to run my first 5 mile run ever, which was a huge milestone for me....I have not yet gotten to run a race in it and I'm dying to!) and there is only room for 500 runners so I registered right away not wanting to miss out.

I followed Hal Higdon's Novice 10K 8 week plan to train for my 10K tomorrow. I have 6 weeks til the next 10K. Sooooo...what do I do to start training for the next race. Go back to week 2 of Hal Higdon's plan next week and repeat? Run week 8 of the plan over and over again until the next race? Keep adding .5 miles per week? The only thing I didn't like about the Higdon plan is it only went up to 5.5 miles when the race is 6.2 miles. I don't know how that is going to affect me come race day tomorrow, but I THINK next time I do want a few training runs of 6 miles or more. Do I do the Higdon Intermediate plan which includes adding speedwork (never done speedwork before). Do I find a new plan entirely, and if so any recommendations? Just for background, I only began running on a consistent basis in August.

If this helps, my long term running goals for 2013 is to continue to run 10Ks and 5Ks in the winter and spring, and in April begin to train for a June 10-miler. I plan to use Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Novice 1 plan for that, which goes up to 10 miles in training so I figured it was appropriate. Then over the summer I will find a new plan and train for my first Half in October.

Thanks in advance for advice! I am so appreciative of all the advice the BF and the RA version of the BF have given me in these past few months. I would be a lost little runner without you guys!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

When I trained for my 10Ks I would repeat the training and pick it up from the week that was appropriate.  Also, take into consideration the fact that you might need some days to recover.  So, maybe 10K race, recovery week with low miles, and restart the plan after that.

And good luck tomorrow!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks Damaris!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I don't see why you would want to go backwards with such a relatively short amount of time in between races. Personally, I would take the cutback week Damaris is recommending and then redo the last week of training before race week. Then do it again and add a mile to the long run so you will cover the distance in training as that seems to be a concern for you. Just use that week as a base model and tweak the long run, add a mile or two mid-week....minor changes. Then, use the last week of that Higdon program to taper during race week. Really, just adding the mile to the long run will give you confidence going in to your second 10k. Covering a distance usually gets easier the more times you do it. Good luck!!!
          meaghansketch

If you're already up to 5.5 miles there's no need to go back to the beginning of the plan-- though you don't necessarily need to add formal speedwork either.  I agree w/ Damaris that taking a recovery week is not a bad idea.

Here's an idea (this is the last 6 weeks of the Higdon plan, modified-- my modifications in bold)

wk mon tue wed thurs fri sat sun
            3 (recovery) stretch & strength 2.5 m run 35 min cross 2.0 m run + strength Rest 50 min cross 4 m run
            4 stretch & strength 3 m run + strides 35 min cross 3 m run + strength Rest 50 min cross 5 m run
            5 stretch & strength 3 m run+ strides 40 min cross 3 m run + strength Rest 60 min cross 5.5 m run
            6 stretch & strength 4 m run+ strides 40 min cross 3 m run + strength Rest 60 min cross 6 m run
            7 stretch & strength 4 m run+ strides 45 min cross 3 m run + strength Rest 60 min cross 6.5 m run
            8 stretch & strength 4 m run+ strides 30 min cross 3 m run + strength Rest Rest 10-K Race

You can see it's just slightly higher mileage- peak week is 13.5 miles instead of 10.5 miles.  I also added in some strides-- google if you aren't familiar with them; they're a good way to start gently introducing your legs to some short bursts of speed.  I am not a huge fan of only 3 days of running so you could start thinking about adding a 4th if you're not having any issues.  

Docket_Rocket

Taking the suggestion from Krystal, if you did Novice, start the Intermediate instead.  If you feel like it.

I don't necessarily see the need to do more in the second training session.  I think it is the time to hit the interval sessions hard so that the second one is better than the first.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

meaghansketch

Hey, just noticed that that's in the park I run in (nearly) daily.  I can see why you would want to do it-- it is a great park and it should be a great race!  

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hey, just noticed that that's in the park I run in (nearly) daily.  I can see why you would want to do it-- it is a great park and it should be a great race!  

Another Brooklyn girl?! Heyyyyy awesome. I knew you were NYC I didn't know you lived in Brooklyn. I used to live 2 blocks from that park. I got priced out of the neighborhood and recently moved 4 miles south, but I will always love that park. I'm jealous you get to run in it so often. I got to return to it to do my 5 mile LR a few weeks ago and it made me so happy!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

PS you should do the race too, Meghan! And thanks for the modification idea. I like that plan.

meaghansketch

Yay Brooklyn Smile

I would definitely do the race if I wasn't already signed up for an HM the next day :/

Good luck with your training and with your race tomorrow, though!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ok after input from people on this thread, input from the Penguin thread, and based on how my first 10K went yesterday, this is what I've come up with. Let me know what you think:

I think what I am going to do is basically stick to the plan I've been following (2 shorter runs during the week and a long run on the weekends) with the following modifications:

* Get a few long runs in there above 6 miles. My previous plan worked on slowly building me up to take me from being able to only run a 5K distance to getting myself to the 10K distance. But now that I've ran 6.2, I would like to get more experience covering that distance. I think it will help my confidence and ability to pace myself during the next race

* More hills. I know my next race has a pretty decent hill. The course has 2 loops of the park, so we will encounter that hill twice, right in the beginning and then right in the middle.

* I want to add a 4th run in there soon, I think this will help me with base building to train for a half down the line. I think I will do this by increasing the distance of my during the week runs slightly, and then grabbing a mile off each of them and doing an additional 2 mile run one week, to keep the weekly milage similar. Is this the best way to add a day?

* Maybe dabbling in some speedwork?? What would you guys say is the best beginner speedwork. Progressive run? Fartlek? Tempo run? This is really new to me