Beginners and Beyond

Where do you run when its dark? (Read 479 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

In the unlikely event that I did run in the dark, I would run on the well lit commercial streets by my house.  Since they all have the handicapped curb ramps, it would be easy  and safe.  And there is a McDonalds in case of a Mac Attack.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I think we might have just closed this thread down Freesoul Cool

Nope, somebody responded after you Big grin, I did think this though, until I saw the last post.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Park near work, this past week I've seen a few runners, 3-4 each night.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Park near work, this past week I've seen a few runners, 3-4 each night.

Unfortunately, although well-lit, the riverwalk park near where I work is closed at sundown, and doesn't re-open until sunup. I guess they save money by not having to patrol the park as much at night.

PS - Freesoul & MrNamtor - you didn't shut it down, but the gears in my aging head began to turn. Vigorously! Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Awesome stuff. Thanks again everyone. My biggest concern with the streets I run on has been the snow piled up on either side. In the event of a car coming, me jumping off the road would result in being knee deep in snow. Thankfully the temps are warming up this week and should bring on a decent thaw.

Oh, and thanks to freesoul and mrnamtor, I always appreciate your humor.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

MrNamtor

I just thought it was funny when you said you needed to grow a pair and hit the streets. You know, seriously, in my humble opinion, everyone needs to operate at their own level of comfort.  If you don't feel that something is safe, then respect that. I'm not saying don't run in the streets when it's dark. But I think our general health and survival depends on all these "small" decisions we make. In my opinion you should trust your own instincts.

kettledrum

Awesome stuff. Thanks again everyone. My biggest concern with the streets I run on has been the snow piled up on either side. In the event of a car coming, me jumping off the road would result in being knee deep in snow. Thankfully the temps are warming up this week and should bring on a decent thaw.

Oh, and thanks to freesoul and mrnamtor, I always appreciate your humor.

If you recall, I'm in Indy too, so I definitely share your pain in dealing with the snow right now.   Since the blizzard hit right after Christmas I've only managed one outdoor run....I've been running on the TM instead.    I think by the end of this week the snow should be melted and the streets won't be so narrow (with room to jump if you have to!).

flarunner

Mr. oo-ee-poo-ee,

You've gotten some good answers so I'm going to give you the first thing that popped into my head when I read the OP:

The same place I run when it's light.  Wink

I've made it my mission this year to run as few miles/steps as possible on sidewalks, so I'm smack dab in the middle of the street.

And before anyone gets all up in arms; I run at 4:00 in the morning, I wear a blinky light front and back, I wear a safety vest and I move over when the occasional car approaches.

mucknort

Time to grow a pair and hit the streets. Now to make sure the life insurance is paid up...

Why the life insurance grab? If your neighborhood doesn't work for running, get on google maps and chart out some runs in other neighborhoods. No idea where you live, but surely there must be well lit, or wealthy, or low congested neighborhoods w/in a 15 minute drive of you? I have several places in the area that I drive to and then run.

Why the life insurance grab? If your neighborhood doesn't work for running, get on google maps and chart out some runs in other neighborhoods. No idea where you live, but surely there must be well lit, or wealthy, or low congested neighborhoods w/in a 15 minute drive of you? I have several places in the area that I drive to and then run.

Honestly, the thought of driving somewhere to run hadn't occurred to me. That would definitely be an option, and one that hit me when reading some of these great comments. I'm pretty new to running, so my starting point has always been my front door.

The insurance grab came from my most recent response (icy, narrow, congested county roads) - not something I'm willing to risk until the snow thaws. I may take a drive one evening and see what I can find. Surely there's something around.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

I've been driving to the park at night to run, it's actually pretty safe.

Rungry!

My po' neighborhood has a ritzy neighborhood two miles West. Guess which way I run? AND their park has a bathroom that is open 24hrs (my favorite turnaround point). I'll even admit to running on their lawns when its warm out and the sprinklers are on. Big grin

Jen

kettledrum

My po' neighborhood has a ritzy neighborhood two miles West. Guess which way I run? AND their park has a bathroom that is open 24hrs (my favorite turnaround point). I'll even admit to running on their lawns when its warm out and the sprinklers are on. Big grin

But then your scissors would get all wet!

Nightcrawler-

You may be right

I'm very fortunate that I have a trail right behind my house that I run on at night which is safe and has lights.  I do most of my running primarily at night so this is very convenient for me.

Don't believe everything you think. 

tinman11

Unfortunately, although well-lit, the riverwalk park near where I work is closed at sundown, and doesn't re-open until sunup. I guess they save money by not having to patrol the park as much at night.

I've pushed the limits of this up to about 1 1/2-2 hours before sunrise and after sunset before. No problem so far, but.......

Biggest hazard has been 3 early morning bikers doing about 20 mph before sunrise. I've learned that reflective gear, headlamp, and knuckle lights are especially helpful on a greenway.

One hot summer Saturday I was getting started below mm 4 at about 5:30 am. I was a little concerned about getting busted by a ranger when a group of about 20 ran past me headed toward the dam. I felt bad for sleeping so late.