Beginners and Beyond

Thursdaily Penguins - Spring is Here (finally) (Read 22 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!! I am dragging today after a hard-working quartet rehearsal last night. And that's no good because I have a hard-working chorus rehearsal tonight!! Plus a long to-do list here at work, which is going to be tough because three of the items are meetings. So maybe I'll start by cleaning off my desk a bit ...

Jerryb -- how's your bracket doing?

Awood -- glad you had a nice run!!

hog -- woo-hoo for your hill work!!

scotty -- jealous of your sunny and 75!! Though we're hoping to hit 60 today, so I'm a little happier ...

PAD -- my snow peas never sprouted -- I think they got frozen in the planter!! I'll have to put some new ones in this weekend. I'm not even purchasing all the other good stuff yet!

Zelanie -- sounds like a fun concert! Glad Zoe's coming home!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Hi Penguins! Quick check in, not much to say lately since I haven't run a single step in over a month. But this week I'm more aggressively trying to treat my messed up foot, wearing a very unwieldy walking boot. Hopefully that will help. Also starting PT next week. The good news is it's been very easy to rest my ITBS, No way I would even try to run right now.

Anyway enough of my whining. The weather is nice, hopefully I can get to run it some before the Mighty Hammer of Humidity™ drops on Alabama sometime in early May and doesn't let up until October. I like to say we only have 2 seasons here: January and summer 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Scotty: Good news!

Quick check in. A run looks unlikely today. I got in a nice 6 mile tempo run last night. DS is home from school for a week for his spring break. DD has open house tonight after swim practice, then I go to bed.  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Docket_Rocket

Morning! 7 miles done on the TM with the last 1/2 miles @ GMP.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Hi Pens!

Twenty lashes with a wet noodle for me....I skipped my run yesterday.  I was sore and achy, and there was a hard cold rain outside.  I opted for yoga instead.

I plan to make up for it with a good run today.  I adjusted my work tasks so that I can leave the lab early, so I will have time to run in the sun on the first day of Spring, then watch some March Madness.

GinnyinPA

Busy day on the forum today.  I think Spring has energized us.

Jerry - enjoy your basketball.

Awood - good job on the weight loss.  I wish I would lose, but that would require me to be a lot more diligent than I've been lately.  All the cold and gloom has made me turn to comfort food more than is good for me.

Mitch - I hope you enjoyed your big hills yesterday.  How much elev. gain does Whiskey Hill have?  Good luck with tonight's recovery miles.

Scotty - I know you always enjoy your hill runs.  I'm glad they managed to catch the polyps before they turned cancerous.  An extra procedure every 5 years is worth the peace of mind that comes with knowing you're doing what you need to do to stay healthy.

PAD - no garden here.  I am happy to see a few crocuses finally emerging from the frozen ground, but planting season isn't until mid-May.  Since we are hoping to do a big trip this summer, I think I'll skip planting anything new.  I'll see what comes up from last year and mulch the rest.

Z- I'm glad Zoe comes home tonight.  Enjoy your six this evening.

HopesMom - busy singing week for you.  When is your next competition?

SO42 - I'm sorry the foot is still hurting so much.  I hope the boot helps keep it immobile.

Jack - I hope you get to spend some fun time with your son while he's home.

Damaris - are you enjoying doing runs in the morning, now that you are doing the TM more?

Margo - yesterday was an awful day for running.  Have fun with your miles tonight.

AFM:  it feels like spring out there - cool, sunny and very windy.  I'm hoping to do a few miles on the railtrail we tried to do a couple of weeks ago.  The ice should be gone by now and I'm hoping the trees will block the wind.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yay for Zoe coming home, Zelanie!  Wishing her a dog-gone speedy recovery!

Hope your 'drag day' goes by quickly for you, HsM.  Then you can go home and take a nap.

Good luck with the upcoming PT, SO42, hope it is very beneficial for you!

Jack, as active as you are, a day of no running is well deserved and will probably do you some good.

You are making quite a strong recovery back to running, Damaris!  Yay you!

I don't think you deserve noodle lashes, Margo, not running today sounds pretty sensible considering your weather and being sore and achy.  Yay for running in the sun!  Hope the weather today for you is very cooperative.

Running a a rail-trail sounds very nice and scenic, Ginny.   Hope the ice is all gone for you.  Enjoy the spring weather!  Lord knows you've certainly waited long enough for it!

I'm eating lunch early today since I have a meeting from 1 pm. to 3:30 PM.  That will kill the rest of my workday  and then I will go directly from the meet to do my hills running.  So if I don't get back today....everyone have a great evening and I'll  "see" y'all tomorrow.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Busy day on the forum today.  I think Spring has energized us.

Jerry - enjoy your basketball.

Awood - good job on the weight loss.  I wish I would lose, but that would require me to be a lot more diligent than I've been lately.  All the cold and gloom has made me turn to comfort food more than is good for me.

Mitch - I hope you enjoyed your big hills yesterday.  How much elev. gain does Whiskey Hill have?  Good luck with tonight's recovery miles.

Scotty - I know you always enjoy your hill runs.  I'm glad they managed to catch the polyps before they turned cancerous.  An extra procedure every 5 years is worth the peace of mind that comes with knowing you're doing what you need to do to stay healthy.

PAD - no garden here.  I am happy to see a few crocuses finally emerging from the frozen ground, but planning seasons isn't until mid-May.  Since we are hoping to do a big trip this summer, I think I'll skip planting anything new.  I'll see what comes up from last year and mulch the rest.

Z- I'm glad Zoe comes home tonight.  Enjoy your six this evening.

HopesMom - busy singing week for you.  When is your next competition?

SO42 - I'm sorry the foot is still hurting so much.  I hope the boot helps keep it immobile.

Jack - I hope you get to spend some fun time with your son while he's home.

Damaris - are you enjoying doing runs in the morning, now that you are doing the TM more?

Margo - yesterday was an awful day for running.  Have fun with your miles tonight.

AFM:  it feels like spring out there - cool, sunny and very windy.  I'm hoping to do a few miles on the railtrail we tried to do a couple of weeks ago.  The ice should be gone by now and I'm hoping the trees will block the wind.

I only do morning runs on Thursdays when I work from home.  I did that last year as well.  I don't have the time or the lungs to run outside in the morning, but I would love to if I didn't have to be dressed up and maked up by 6:30am.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Stiff wind that was to the side on the outbound and in my face on the return journey complicated an otherwise easy run.  I don't know how to run on the flat at all.  My paces were all over the place.  I was running by effort, supposedly, with the intent of running a few miles at tempo pace, but there was absolutely no consistency.  The first mile was a too fast 9:57.  The second was 9:34, which is what I wanted. The third was 9:01 (where did that come from?) Then I turned around and walked a bit to catch my breath again and get used to the wind in my face and deal with a loose dog, so that mile was 10:39, and the next was 9:40 - closer to what I wanted to be doing.  I met up with DH and Ben so I walked with them for a while, then ran another mile and a half at 9:54 and 10:00.  I don't get how you experienced runners can be so completely on pace in long races even with hills.  I'm so used to slowing down on the uphill and speeding up on the down, I've never really learned how to be consistent except on the tm where the machine keeps me on track.  It was a fun run, but I don't know how much help it was in terms of training.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Ginny, it looks like a great training run.  Pacing comes with experience.  You also find that there are inclines you don't really notice if you're not paying attention.  Wind effects pace as well.  There are a LOT of factors.  Keep at it.  You got this.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Stiff wind that was to the side on the outbound and in my face on the return journey complicated an otherwise easy run.  I don't know how to run on the flat at all.  My paces were all over the place.  I was running by effort, supposedly, with the intent of running a few miles at tempo pace, but there was absolutely no consistency.  The first mile was a too fast 9:57.  The second was 9:34, which is what I wanted. The third was 9:01 (where did that come from?) Then I turned around and walked a bit to catch my breath again and get used to the wind in my face and deal with a loose dog, so that mile was 10:39, and the next was 9:40 - closer to what I wanted to be doing.  I met up with DH and Ben so I walked with them for a while, then ran another mile and a half at 9:54 and 10:00.  I don't get how you experienced runners can be so completely on pace in long races even with hills.  I'm so used to slowing down on the uphill and speeding up on the down, I've never really learned how to be consistent except on the tm where the machine keeps me on track.  It was a fun run, but I don't know how much help it was in terms of training.

Nice job!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

on my way to badass

Hi Penguins!

The calendar lies.  That is all.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Amazonian Princess

Hi Penguins!

The calendar lies.  That is all.

Spring's arrived in CA - I can tell by all the blossoms blowing in the breeze and my frequent and ever-so-musical sneezing

Quick check-in to say Hi! Been busy planning DH's BBQ birthday party for Sunday (even putting together activity booklets for the kids and created a homemade candy bar for him called "Sabotage Bars" to go in the gift bags for the adults with a couple other of his favorite things), supporting a close friend who had a suspicious spot on her mammogram and needed work up (she's okay but the wait was rough), and I ran a 5k on Sunday with finishing time of 38:35 (all I wanted was for my time to start with a "3" instead of a "4" so yayyy!!)

Plan was to run tonight after work, but not sure if my poor nose and throat can take the pollen exposure. Such a wuss, I know...

I can. I will. I am. 

GinnyinPA

Baconista - congratulations on getting your 5k time down into the 3s.  You invent your own candy?  That's creative.  Sorry about the sneezing.  I've started here too, but so far, it hasn't been bad, just loud.

Amazonian Princess

Baconista - congratulations on getting your 5k time down into the 3s.  You invent your own candy?  That's creative.  Sorry about the sneezing.  I've started here too, but so far, it hasn't been bad, just loud.

Thank you, Ginny   I'm happy my time keeps improving, wish that the event photos would get better too! How can I be running yet look like I'm wading through a pool of Nutella?

The Sabotage bars are a 7 layer cookie-candy bar hybrid made of everything bad for DH's diet (and mine) like chocolate, butterscotch, and espresso marshmallow. A long time ago I decided that if I can't be pretty, I can be pretty evil 

MTA: 2.2 miles done before my allergies realized I was outside.

I can. I will. I am.