Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins Know Not To Smoke The Mistletoe! (Read 226 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Kristin - I think you have the right general idea when it comes to adding miles.  Based on my experience, and what I've been reading in Daniels' Running Formula, here's how I'd approach it.

I wouldn't mess with the speed work until you had established your new base mileage for a few weeks.  With your next 10K being so close, I might not even worry about it unless you're just bored and can't help yourself.  I think Zel and I running PR's this weekend are great examples of getting faster on easy miles alone.  I know Dave would agree with that as well.

I'm not sure what your life schedule looks like, but I'd start with adding a day before adding mile to existing workouts.  My fiance did this recently, and found that for her the easiest way to do it was to make Saturday and Sunday her only back to back workouts.  That's the problem with going from 3 to 4 days a week.  Unless, you just run every other day and make it 3.5 runs per week, you're adding your first back to back workouts.  Tues, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday seemed to be the easiest way for her to do it. 

Tomorrow is Tuesday :-)  Since you're running 3 times per week, I'd keep that 4th run to 3 miles or 30 minutes.  If Saturday is your long run, I'd run Sunday as a recover run (very slow).  Once you have your long run up to the distance you want, and you've been running 4 days a week for 3-4 weeks decide whether you would prefer more miles or some speed work.

If you decide speed work would be more fun or keep it interesting, keep it simple.  You could run some 20-30 second strides after one of your runs, maybe run the last mile of your Tuesday run a little faster, or just pick up the pace for one of your runs. 

At this point though, don't increase mileage and add speed work at the same time.  When you've added miles, give your body 3-4 weeks to adjust to the new stress before piling on other stress.  I've become a big advocate of adding additional days, and I believe that your first back to back runs are a great opportunity to try some recovery miles.  The gains you will get with the additional miles, and getting comfortable with the 10K distance will do more for you than speed work in my honest opinion.  If you want to pick up the pace once a week, 3-4 weeks from now I think that would be plenty of speed work.  I hope this helps.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Good morning  all!

Awood - that's awesome mileage that you're building.  I'm impressed and inspired!  I've decided that i just need to hold on until spring and it's pretty obvious that all of my big races are going to have to be late fall for me to be able to train properly.  I so wish I lived somewhere I could run outside at night but it just isn't safe.    Also, glad for your reminder about the crap that sales reps have to go through this time of year - I am absolutely swamped with work, 12-14 hr days, and when I hear that reps want to meet with us and take a half hour of my time that I desperately need to be putting else where, I get a little prickly.  I adore our reps, they're awesome people and they try not to ask for too much time from the docs (they spend a lot of time with our office manager), but my days are so bloody long already....anyway, I'll try to remember that everyone is busy and free up some time here and there. 

Anyway, I need to find time for 5-7 tonight. 

Have a great day everyone!

Liz

Docket_Rocket

Damaris - I hope your head feels better soon.  Hooray for half days though.  This time of year sucks in my industry.  I'll spend all day today trying to set appointments with people who have office parties, vacation time, etc.  Every other sales rep on the planet is doing the same thing I'm doing, and we're all competing for 30 minutes of time from the same darn people.  Ugh.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll be forever grateful to those who encouraged me to drop to the half marathon this year.  I was definitely not ready for a marathon yet, and I had so much fun with the half.  I really want my first marathon to be that kind of experience.  I know it's going to mean that much more to me, but I've seen so many of those threads that start out, "my first and last marathon", or, "I'll never run again".  I prefer the, "THAT WAS THE MOST AMAZING EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE".

Trust me.  Marathons are a dime a dozen now (which is why I do many, bahahaha).  It will always be there when you are ready.  And my half day is mine (to go to the doctor).  We work on the 24th and the 31st.  No rest for justice.

And my headache is not gone.  It's lingering.  Hoping to kick it out soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Doc - If you want to make a reps day, offer your lunch break.  If they're worth a darn, they'll pay for lunch and it will be their favorite meeting of the day.  A perfect week for me is Donuts to 5 offices, lunch with 5 customers and dinner or drinks with 4-5 customers.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hola! On Sunday I did Race #72 for the year.  One more and I will be tied with last year's record of 73 races in a year.  Here is the link to my report and, as usual, the many photos I took.

http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/beginners#plckforumpage=ForumDiscussion&plckdiscussionid=Cat%3ARunner%20CommunitiesForum%3A608106477Discussion%3Aeb7fd3a5-7484-43df-9299-b5cec830278c

Today is a rest day for me.  Will do some online holiday shopping tonite (today is free shipping day for many places online) and also have to stop at Fort Sam Houston military exchange and pick up a gift for Gail.

Way to go on the bike ride, Gustav.  I think it's harder to dress for a bike ride in colder weather than it is for running.    On the one hand, if you dress too light, you get cold, especially with the wind factor from whatever speed you're going. On the other hand, if you dress too much, then you get so darn overheated while you're out there pushing yourself.   I've always found it difficult to find a happy medium with cycling than I have with running.

48 mpw, Awood, cool!  Hell, I'd be happy just getting to 20 mpw, lol.

Buzzing headache does not sound like fun at all, Damaris.  Hope you feel better.  Hmmm..mabye it would help if you smoked some mistletoe... Wink

Congrats on your run, Bill.  Umm, glaciers these days are melting at a faster pace, so you probably are getting faster without realizing it quite yet. Big grin

Dang, Dave, that is quite a streak!  Congrats!

Sorry about the allergies, Rach, hope you feel better.  Will you have that problem in Alaska?  Maybe not, cuz everything will be frozen, right? Wink

No advice on the training, Kristin, since I don't actually "race" anymore at all the events I do.  Wishing you good luck, and hope you find the training methods for you that make you a happy and successful RACER.   Happy rest day today, hope all your muscles feel nice and normal again by tomorrow.

Nice running, Tomas!  Good luck with Taper Madness when it starts!

Hope you find the time for your run today, Liz!   Long days..who knew a horse doctor could be so busy?  Probably other horse doctors, lol, but certainly not lay people like me.  So I learned a new 'factoid" from you! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Doc - If you want to make a reps day, offer your lunch break.  If they're worth a darn, they'll pay for lunch and it will be their favorite meeting of the day.  A perfect week for me is Donuts to 5 offices, lunch with 5 customers and dinner or drinks with 4-5 customers.

I am in the road seeing patients all day so lunch is on my lap while driving. We usually have them in before our office hours start which is when I do my paperwork...which means I have to get up a half hr earlier. Our reps are super nice and helpful though so once I commit to it, I'm happy. I just may grumble a bit the day before Wink we work pretty intensely with them so its a good relationship and they totally understand our scheduling.
              Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Scotty, it's better to be busy than the alternative!! I'm lucky that my practice is perpetually swamped Smile.

Wandering Wally

Morning all.  SRD for me today.  Hope you all are having a great day!

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Nightcrawler-

You may be right

Thanks for the welcome Gustav1 and thanks to everyone else who also had a warm welcome for me.   I posted an "about me" last night in yesterday's thread in case anyone wants to read it. I was going to repost it here for the day people but I didn't want to seem like an attention hog (I'm far from it).  Lol

Gustav1 - Awesome job on the ride.  I know the feeling of how should I dress for today's weather.  The temps here have been fluctuating like crazy.  One day it's shorts and the next it's get out the pants.  

Awood - As the others have said, it sounds like you've got a good plan. Have a great run tonight!  

Docket_Rocket - Glad your migraine is gone.  I hope you feel better soon.  Take your half day off and get some rest and maybe you can get rid of your buzzing headache. 

BillWalker - Good job on getting your 3 done.  Sometimes I feel like a turtle (or a crawler) but at least it gets done.

Dtothe2nd - You're an inspiration!  My streak is starting today because it ended yesterday. It was only half as good as yours though.  Have a great day as well!

TooStupidTostop -   At least you tried, that's the important thing.   Everyone has those days.  Put it behind you and go out and have a great workout tomorrow.   Hope you feel better soon!  

Kristin10185 - Hope your muscles feel better soon!   It sounds like you're on the right track with knowing what you need even though you are unsure of a few things.  I'm sure you will find a plan that works right for you.  

T-Rod - Of course it counts.  They all count.  Smile

Hey Doc - I'm very lucky that I have a trail practically in my backyard that is lit well enough to see and not be dangerous but still dark enough where it's comfortable.  I love running in the dark.  I'm thinking about switching to early mornings but it will still be in the dark.  I'm not much of a morning person so I'm still throwing idea around.

Scottydawg - I'm off to read your RR as soon as I'm done writing this.  Have a good rest day.  

mjsmith1223 - Good morning to you!  Hope you have a great day as well.  

AFM - 6 tonight when the sun goes down.   I'm at work so nothing exciting going on here but sometimes that's a good thing.    

It's Monday.... Make it a Great One Everybody!!

Don't believe everything you think. 

Zelanie

Good morning!  Got lots of shopping done today, now just have to find 4 weekdays to run to get my 5 days this week.  So I think today will be a 6 miler sometime after work.  It is pouring and there's a high wind warning so likely back to the TM.  I don't have headphones that work well at the moment either, boo.

Damaris- Just 2 more hours for you!

Bill- Awesome consistency!

Kristin- Your plan sounds great.  I also agree that there's something to normally running much farther than the race distance that helps you get the mental edge on race day.  Like Awood, I also have found that adding easy miles has been the best way to get faster.  And trying to do weekly speedwork along with building miles is I think what irritated my IT band back in July.  So now I'm trying to get my base up *over* the starting mileage in my HM plan so that when I first do the faster workouts in the plan, it will be a cutback week for me as far as mileage goes.

That said, letting your legs stretch out for a fast finish at the end of your easy runs might be a fun way to start.  It can be fun to run fast now and then!

Everyone else, have a great day!

hog4life

Kristin, I have some thoughts about your plan too, and will put them up later when I get to a computer. Trying to do too much from the phone is a pain, lol, no pun intended. I'm on 2nd shift this week(2:00 pm- 10:00 pm), I like this shift as far as running goes. I get to sleep in a bit if I want, and have plenty of time for short or long runs before work. Today is suppose to be 5 or 6 x 1000's with one minute recoveries. I may have to make them 1200's though bc I don't have 1/8 mile marks. Anyways, I'll check back later.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  DH and I finished off week 2 of C25k on Saturday.  Since it's supposed to rain today, I'll go swimming, and then we'll start week 3 tomorrow, woo-hoo!!  This week will be a short work week for me -- I'm taking off Thursday and Friday, so that's a wonderful thing.  Campus is deserted now anyway, so it would just be annoying to keep hanging around.  Then the next week I'll be down in NC with my folks for Christmas!

Gustav -- woo-hoo for your bike ride!!  I agree the weather is a little confusing.

awood -- sounds like a great plan!!

Docket -- hope your headache goes away!!

Bill -- woo-hoo for your glacial miles!!

D2 -- woo-hoo for your continuing streak!!

Rach -- sorry your allergies are acting up so much!!

kristin -- your plan sounds reasonable ... sorry I can't help with the speedwork questions, I've never done any!

T-rod -- woo-hoo for your 8!!

Doc -- good luck getting your miles in, and getting everything done!!

Scotty -- enjoy your rest day and shopping!!

mj -- enjoy your RD!!

Night -- welcome to the flock, and good luck with your miles tonight!!

Zelanie -- I would spend the entire day dreading the dreadmill.  Bleah!!

hog -- good luck with your intervals!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Mmmmm...beer

Bill, didn't see ya this morning, good job on your 3!

Rach, sorry to hear about your allergies, mine have been behaving the last year or two thankfully, maybe I outgrew them? But like Awood said, it's just one run, no worries. Whenever I have a bad run, I just keep in mind that my next run is almost guaranteed to be better. Smile

Kristin, definitely get some rest. For your next training cycle, I think you're on the right track, adding a day (or two if you can) will definitely help. I think the increased frequency has really helped me. As for my streak, it's been really great. One thing I have noticed is that I'll have a day here and there where I feel really slow, but my pace really isn't off, I'm guessing that's the streak. This morning I felt really slow, but I'm pretty sure it was the fact that I only got 4 hours of sleep last night. lol

Tomas, great job on the 8! Nice job on the training PR too!

Liz, no rest for the weary, hope you can get your run in!

Scotty, congrats on #72, that's wild!

MJ, enjoy the rest!

Nightcrawler, thanks! There's a guy on here that's been running for over 4 years straight, insane! Have a great run later. Smile

Zel, hope you have a good run later, TM with no headphones is tough!

Mitch, enjoy the intervals!

HM, congrats on finishing week 2!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Sorry about the allergies, Rach, hope you feel better.  Will you have that problem in Alaska?  Maybe not, cuz everything will be frozen, right? Wink

Virginia is the only state that I've been in where my allergies act up like this. Don't get me wrong, I get them in the other states, but not nearly as bad as here. I think the rain brought up all the pollen and mold from the trees around here. Unless it's a good downpour, my allergies act up in Virginia.

I shouldn't have any problem in Alaska, but we shall see. I am hoping not because this is a pain in the rear!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am in the road seeing patients all day so lunch is on my lap while driving.  OK, Liz, that statement gave my warped mind some wild mental images, lol. whistle  Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt