Beginners and Beyond

Yasso 800s (Read 57 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You walked most of the last 6 miles and finished in 3:15?  They must have been 6 very painful miles on a mental level as well... :-(

Sorry, I'm getting it confused with the marathon I ran two weeks after that. I ran 3:21 in the one I started out at 2:45 pace, then came back two weeks later, ran 3:13, and only walked most of the last 4 miles. Sometimes I'm a slow learner. If I remember accurately, it was a 4 lap course and my lap splits were approximately 41, 45, 49 minutes, and an hour and 6 minutes for the final lap.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

Sorry, I'm getting it confused with the marathon I ran two weeks after that. I ran 3:21 in the one I started out at 2:45 pace, then came back two weeks later, ran 3:13, and only walked most of the last 4 miles. Sometimes I'm a slow learner. If I remember accurately, it was a 4 lap course and my lap splits were approximately 41, 45, 49 minutes, and an hour and 6 minutes for the final lap.

Holy cow! You completely destroy my 2 marathons within 2 weeks accomplishment!  A 3:13 two weeks after a 3:21? What are you made of?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

Anyone else wants to crush my self-esteem? Don't hold back, go ahead!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

LRB, you didn't think of Jay in your reference chart

lily had him covered in her post, a 5 minute pace for Y 800's. 

Anyone else wants to crush my self-esteem? Don't hold back, go ahead!

I'll check in to build your self-esteem back up.

I'm sure this is no different than the McMillan race time predictor - a formula that works better for some people than others.

I could probably do 7:00-pace (3:30) 800's all day long, but can't run a 3:30 marathon. A couple weeks ago I did 6x800 at 6:40 pace (3:20); granted that's not as many repeats, but I had shorter recoveries, and it would probably not take long to build up more repeats. But a 3:20 marathon for me is laughable.

To me it seems analogous to plugging your 5k time into McMillan to predict your marathon time.

Dave

catwhoorg

Labrat

I think they are a decent negative predictor.

If you can't manage to knock them out, then maybe its time to revise your goal downwards.

I prefer more race specific workouts for my marathon training.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Cyberic

Since I don't race often, I probably won't run a half a few weeks before to assess my fitness and come up with an estimate of what I'll do in the marathon. I might use the Yasso 800s, not as a training tool, but as a way to have a general idea of what I'll run in the marathon. + 5 minutes sounds reasonable as an optimistic-realistic predictor.

LRB

Looking at this workout from a practical point of view, it would be 10 x 800’s at my 5k pace with 600 meter recoveries (which is roughly what 3 minute jogs would be).

With a 3 mile warm-up and 1 mile cool-down that workout would total 12.75 miles (3 miles + 5 miles at 5k pace + 3.75 miles of jogs + 1 mile).

So what we have here is 5 miles at 5k pace 10-14 days out from a marathon which is a kick you in the ass workout!  That in and of itself may have more to do with race day success than it being some sort of “predictor”.

Most of us are done with our major marathon paced runs by 3 weeks out so there is room to fit this workout in the schedule if one was game enough to try it. And I just might do that...

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

As mentioned in other threads I can do repeats and intervals much better than sustained distance tempos.

Yasso' doesn't seem to relate very well to my current marathon/ half marathon performance.  I don;t know if it is recovery (physical) or the mental game.  But I can hurt bad for 800 knowing I have a break before the next 8 or 10 repeats and deal with it far better than hurting not quite as bad for a long Fing time...

Reading this a second time made me think of something: maybe you don't give a damn about the mile because you like it hard and long?

Well.... maybe not 3 hours, but definitely longer than 5 minutes Big grin

I'll check in to build your self-esteem back up.

Me too.  16 BQ's out of how many marathons?  'yer good.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Fer sher...

Crazy woman...

LRB

Word.  Insane in the membrane.