Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Carrera Races Dream 5K (Read 15 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 19th race of 2015.  Held on April 25th by Carrera Races in San Antonio at the luxury living and business complex of Eilan, which is quite close to Six Flags Fiesta Texas amusement park.   Woke up this morning to major thunderstorms, lightnings and weather watch warnings for the San Antonio area and beyond.  Rain stopped by the time I drove to the race location, but I still saw plenty of lightning flashes along the way.  Uh oh.  No worries though; dark skies when I got to the race local, but rain had stopped and by race start time of 8 a.m., we actually had blue skies and sunshine - and VERY humid air, not a breath of wind, humidity near 100% and dewpoint in the 70s.   Even so, everyone seemed to manage well.  There were over 200 registered for this event and I think just about all of them showed up, regardless of the weather.  I think the cause helped - this race is in support of the Starlight Children's Foundation to help children with cancer, and who doesn't want to help children with cancer?  I ended up with a finish time of 33:03 chip, good enough for first in my age group, 60 - 69.  Of course, there were only two in my age group, lol.  Even so, I'll take it!

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before the Start

When I got to Eilan, the dark skies were still looming overhead

photo 001_zpszvqywxse.jpg

photo 002_zpsixmzoby5.jpg

photo 003_zpsu98tkv1c.jpg

One of my 'running crushes" Virginia, co-owner of Carrera Races...nice boots!

photo 008_zpsgkbjo9bq.jpg

Me and the Starlight Children's Foundation representative.

photo 013_zpsx9zwt4h9.jpg

This gentleman is wearing the race shirt participants got, with the Dream log on the back.

photo 021_zpsevxbluva.jpg

Some of the participants, volunteers, and supporters, pre-start

photo 004_zps6elqkgi4.jpg

photo 005_zpshdjgxkt3.jpg

"Play that funky music, white boy...."

photo 006_zpswrlsv33r.jpg

photo 011_zpsjpcontjn.jpg

photo 014_zpsg3vodpyu.jpg

photo 015_zpsqo8a3vc3.jpg

photo 016_zpsyxfw06vj.jpg

photo 017_zpsiaugl3ku.jpg

photo 018_zpsdiijynw2.jpg

My good pal and another running crush, Bernadette, back at her first event after a long recovery from an injury

photo 019_zpsgcay0fp5.jpg

photo 020_zpshuepgrcz.jpg

photo 023_zpsd5humg9h.jpg

Shoppes at La Cantera team..the came out in force

photo 024_zpsecyrkkqo.jpg

photo 025_zpsa0uaa8mc.jpg

photo 026_zpsbyt2ryuc.jpg

photo 027_zpsgi7nixju.jpg

Sun starting to peek out a bit now...I guess Texas weather is made with Intel inside... 

photo 028_zpszyhqceqo.jpg

photo 030_zpsnzhv31ji.jpg

photo 031_zpsbmmwnttz.jpg

photo 033_zpsgxmqlyke.jpg

By the time we lined up, we had blue skies and sunshine....and all-out humidity!

photo 034_zpshicyoe7u.jpg

photo 036_zpssevsrhcs.jpg

On the Course

The course was 2 loops around the Eilan complex, which consisted of several hills of varying size along the way.  The biggest hill, thankfully for most people, was a downhill.

The first lap....

photo 037_zpstausdc3f.jpg

photo 038_zpsevcarcty.jpg

photo 039_zpsokakrbik.jpg

photo 040_zpszrijoqo3.jpg

photo 041_zpss3hnglqf.jpg

Hurry up and get in front of me, ladies; I need some Great Legs motivation to keep my old-man legs moving forward!

photo 042_zpsbkkphzz9.jpg

photo 043_zpshiksbyns.jpg

By the time I began my 2nd lap, the crowd had thinned out quite a bit, lol, as slow as I am.  I think the hills and humidity were also getting to a few people too, as more folks were walking at this point.

photo 044_zps9u17x7uj.jpg

photo 045_zpszhwoweii.jpg

photo 046_zpscqiblape.jpg

photo 047_zpsiih49rak.jpg

I was near these two very nice people for most of the race.  I finished a bit ahead of them and got a photo of them coming in to the finish.

photo 048_zpsic7h2bgl.jpg

After the Finish

Me and Virginia post-race

photo 059_zpsao88fvyi.jpg

Me and Bernadette.  She finished about 3 minutes ahead of me.  Usually she finished about 10 or so minutes ahead of me, but she's being careful during her recovery time so as not to injury relapse.

photo 060_zpsjgoev46g.jpg

Some of the "Happy Finisher", supporters, and volunteers

photo 050_zpsrxf22zs5.jpg

photo 051_zpsfxndqv9c.jpg

photo 052_zpsbv5grtxw.jpg

photo 053_zpsjouwfjsl.jpg

Pancakes served up for anyone who wanted them..

photo 054_zpseynpildl.jpg

photo 055_zpsk2ra4uj0.jpg

photo 056_zpsjjhulqqh.jpg

photo 057_zpsiwo32lla.jpg

photo 058_zpsftqx1myt.jpg

photo 061_zps23pa49nn.jpg

photo 062_zpsfa0luvd5.jpg

These two lovely ladies were part of the group of great volunteers that were out there today for we participants.

photo 068_zpsfmlpntx0.jpg

Awards ceremony beginning

photo 064_zpsk0ofxplu.jpg

photo 065_zpstfjppp36.jpg

photo 066_zpsu9h0mh6f.jpg

photo 067_zps5h2lujjb.jpg

EPILOG

Carrera Races always puts on really good quality events. Quality race tees, good courses, lots of nice post-race goodies and their races always done for some very good causes.  This was the first time for this event with this cause and hopefully it will continue to be done with even more participation in the future.  Well organized, definitely one to put on your race calendar.  Mucho thanks to Northwest Mutual who is a big sponsor of the Starlight Foundation, and had a presence at the race; and to all the other sponsors, volunteers, race organizers, etc, all the folks that got this one done for all we participants.   iaapweb.com, as usual, did their great job of course set-up and race timing.

Next up for me: My second race for April 25th, the San Antonio Roadrunner Fiesta Fandango in the PM, and then on Sunday, April 26, Clark High School Sunday Funday 5K.   Umm, it's noon on Saturday right now and I think I may take a short nap.... 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Didn't you just race there a couple of weeks ago?  Congratulations on the AG win.  I'm sorry your friend Bernadette was injured.  I hope her recovery continues well.

PADRunner

Nice race. That place does look familiar.

LRB

Good to see Bernadette back at it. I cannot say that I recall ever seeing you in black, you wear it well!

LRB

That place does look familiar.

I think there are three or four events held there a year that Scotty races.

happylily

Like the others, I feel like I've been there before.  Actually, I think that if one day I make it to San Antonio (to run with Scotty, of course), I will know my way around San Antonio just like an old pro.  As usual, a fun report, Scotty! Congratulations on your 19th!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Yay for the return of Bernadette, still rocking race tees older than many of the runners Big grin