Beginners and Beyond

Veterans Assistance Dogs of Texas 5K/10K (Read 10 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos.  I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them. 

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more!

Done on June 11th, the Veterans Assistance Dogs of Texas was my 29th race of 2016.  Put on the Elks Lodge of San Antonio, this event supports getting and training assistance dogs for those veterans who need them.  The timing and course setup was done by local race company www.iaapweb.com who did their usual great job.  Events included a 5K and a 10K.  I did the 5K. This was a fairly small event with maybe about 80 participants for the 5K/10K.  I ended up finishing 35:33 chip time, first time since I had an injury back in March that I’ve finished under 36 minutes, so I’m making progress.  Did not place in my age group as I’m 62 so I was in the 50 – 99 age group for this event, and that was the biggest group of the 5K if I remember correctly.

On to the photos!  I do tend to take a LOT of photos at the events I do.  So if you’d rather just see photos only without my commentary you can check out the slideshow of this event at this link:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2029%20Veterans%20Assistance%20Dogs%20of%20Texas 

BEFORE THE START

Participants (some of us) parked at the Elk Lodge and then were shuttled over to the Valero Trailhead area.  This parking lot fills up quite fast – a very popular weekend venue for runners, walkers, cyclists, and the trails were open for nonparticipants too – so the shuttle was a nice touch, didn’t have to find any parking.   As usual for a race, I wandered around taking some pre-start photos.

These guys were out here in support and cheering us on

photo 001_zpswzb2qfjm.jpg

Registration volunteers

photo 003_zps9g4fwaow.jpg

Mr. Chip Man

photo 004_zpsauvwikyg.jpg

Timing and Results guy

photo 016_zpsiebyrr0v.jpg

Color Guard

photo 022_zpsyxlhlhda.jpg

Some of the participants, supporters, etc.

photo 005_zpsb4umiq3i.jpg

photo 006_zpszcdthi1l.jpg

photo 007_zpskj0vdvqe.jpg

photo 008_zpsjiy1hw8q.jpg

photo 009_zpsjgwfpdt6.jpg

photo 010_zpsa38uoxj0.jpg

photo 011_zpsotsx48fx.jpg

Surprise!  This laddie only has 3 legs...and is very speedy on them too; his human told me he can run about a 7-8 minute mile. He loves to run!

photo 012_zpsonpktune.jpg

photo 013_zpss9ntnlgv.jpg

photo 014_zpstzxjk2dz.jpg

photo 015_zpsim576rsn.jpg

photo 017_zpsxjilnjbq.jpg

photo 019_zps1etfguus.jpg

photo 020_zpsn2iwjfuf.jpg

photo 021_zpsawaqblsv.jpg

photo 023_zpsjq2xjbph.jpg

4 minutes to go....

photo 025_zpsfiexlfs3.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Started at the Valero Trailhead and did an out-and-back along the trails.  Due to the past rain we had there was about a foot of water over part of the course, so our turn-around was in front of that.  We then went back to the trailhead, through part of the parking lot, and did an out-and-back alongside a local Drury Inn, and then finished back near the trailhead.  The weather was kind of overcast with some sunshine and VERY humid (in the 90% range) and the dew-point did not make it feel any better, being at 75.  Lots of sweating going on this morning, especially for the 10K folks who had to do 2 laps of the course.

A very gray and humid day....

photo 026_zpspqqqlhur.jpg

photo 027_zpsbg2rqwnw.jpg

photo 028_zpspolcinpj.jpg

Rooftop of the Drury Inn in the background of this one

photo 029_zpsvfvvlns7.jpg

iaapweb guy Paul leading the lead runner.

photo 030_zpslnjgcdgf.jpg

This guy in green was the overall male 5K winner

photo 031_zpsemr6u8kn.jpg

photo 032_zpsx5sbmbmw.jpg

photo 033_zpsthhqdoue.jpg

Here comes my friends Margaret and Rocky Dog

photo 034_zpsxdouq44g.jpg

photo 036_zpsp8acdfuh.jpg

One of the 10K guys, 2nd lap

photo 035_zpsmv7y0kit.jpg

Almost done...Drury Inn out-and-back part of the course

photo 037_zps01qg8psc.jpg

photo 038_zpshr8g67a2.jpg

photo 039_zpskaxuhjf8.jpg

photo 040_zpsgupdzisp.jpg

photo 041_zpsklitiqz6.jpg

photo 042_zpsxtmgwilb.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Short cooldown walk and water and then got some post-race photos near the trailhead start/finish.

photo 043_zpsurfykfsw.jpg

photo 044_zpspxfsgmgo.jpg

photo 048_zpssoh9qlxh.jpg

photo 050_zpszgjwuaga.jpg

photo 059_zpsuhejo8an.jpg

photo 045_zpsvpmeqhbx.jpg

photo 046_zpsawvten1k.jpg

photo 047_zpsiixl3wot.jpg

photo 049_zpshrwcskx5.jpg

photo 051_zpsllw5momo.jpg

photo 052_zpsb8ng3icx.jpg

photo 053_zps7ehajy6g.jpg

photo 054_zpsn40h4u0f.jpg

photo 055_zpslblehxwb.jpg

photo 057_zpsugl44qsq.jpg

photo 058_zpstcsrppq9.jpg

photo 056_zpsgkokhbiu.jpg

photo 060_zpspi8miltm.jpg

Me and friend Carolyn, who was first overall 10K female

photo 061_zps5m8gw1js.jpg

photo 062_zps8arnryhc.jpg

photo 063_zpsrmox6y6b.jpg

photo 064_zps7ujsophv.jpg

photo 065_zpse4ijqe72.jpg

After that, I took the shuttle back to the Elks Lodge – and the ride back in the air conditioned van was a very pleasant way to cool off after a humid run – and then got some more photos there.

Sax player giving us some entertainment

photo 066_zps1rvauhio.jpg

photo 067_zpsl3p0nbke.jpg

photo 068_zpsahtaeyrz.jpg

photo 069_zpsdjva3cvb.jpg

Me with the lovely lady that passed me right before the finish line

photo 070_zpsqe66rnz8.jpg

photo 071_zps96knujvv.jpg

photo 072_zpshrvdbyfd.jpg

Awards ceremony

photo 073_zpsftprhaul.jpg

photo 075_zpsiqifizgl.jpg

photo 076_zpspvwpknam.jpg

photo 077_zps0leynqon.jpg

photo 078_zpsyfhwywdo.jpg

photo 079_zpshtfg1ygf.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is the first time I’ve ever done this event.  I would certainly do it again and recommend it to my fellow runners. Especially a nice run for veterans as that is one group the Elks definitely support.  Nicely organized event and good quality race shirts.  The course to avoid the water was well-thought out and I am SOOOO glad the course planners had us go by the Drury Inn instead of having us do an out-and-back up-and-down the Valero Hill, which is pretty narrow and, although not that long, fairly steep.    Also back at the lodge, some nice cold beer post-race – yay! – and enjoying more A/C in the nice cool lodge.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt