Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - City Manager Step Up to Wellness 5K (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me. At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another. Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos. I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.  And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos. Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes, maps, and conversation forums for runners and much more!

My 14th race of 2016 done on Feb 27th was the City Manager Step Up to Wellness 5K, a 5K for city employees, their families, and friends of city employees. Event venue was San Antonio Sea World. Quite a large turnout for this popular event, a tad over 2,000 runners and walkers.   Quite a crowded start, but where I was everyone was pretty polite and accommodating and everything went smoothly. I ended up with chip time finish of 32:15, and per my printed results slip was 414th out of 2,047 finishers and 13th of 42 in my age group of 60-64.

BEFORE THE START

The view from where the parking area was

photo 001_zpsgbghmsps.jpg

Some of the pre-start participants, volunteers, supporters, etc.

Race Day Registration, packet pickup, etc.

photo 013_zpsgnvdihdv.jpg

photo 014_zpswkyotnxo.jpg

Police Academy cadets

photo 002_zpsnpwvfddq.jpg

photo 003_zpsglhnkvw2.jpg

Firefighter Academy Cadets

photo 004_zps7hofffff.jpg

My running friends Roger the Shorter and Bob the Taller

photo 005_zpskvfpjuwz.jpg

photo 006_zpsaupxn882.jpg

photo 007_zpscoy00zyg.jpg

photo 023_zpsjpwmgmoo.jpg

photo 012_zpsqndqc7fm.jpg

photo 008_zpsydhe5tt4.jpg

Pre-and-post race goodies...

photo 009_zpsqqr90jww.jpg

photo 010_zpsle6erdmz.jpg

photo 011_zpsu1tt4yph.jpg

photo 015_zps97numoxn.jpg

photo 017_zpspaor0kl8.jpg

photo 018_zpsmoojts3a.jpg

My lovely friend Lisa - and speedy too; managed to do under 30 minutes in that mass of people.

photo 019_zpsxcywwpev.jpg

photo 020_zpsdfhrgqlg.jpg

photo 021_zpsegxznkks.jpg

photo 022_zpsvauaa3lh.jpg

photo 026_zps6ujctzqy.jpg

photo 027_zpszcfper1c.jpg

photo 028_zpsufdzsgs4.jpg

photo 029_zpsavwj1dvy.jpg

photo 030_zpspmgxkzqi.jpg

Had a nice chat with these fine gentlemen, swapping 'war stories" with them.  Thanks for being there for us, guys!

photo 024_zpsojp5wivj.jpg

photo 025_zpsgkqwxvdq.jpg

Pre-race warm up

photo 016_zpsgjq1nf01.jpg

At the start line...ahead of me and behind me...masses of people

photo 031_zpsukgkbwhq.jpg

photo 032 - Copy_zpsuq0suwx7.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We went up an incline to start, going around a small portion of Sea World’s huge parking area and then through the front gate into the park. Did a small portion of the park to start, then onto one of the service roads behind the park. Back into the park after that, and got a nice running tour through the park before we went back out one of the front gates and headed for the finish…and now that uphill incline we had started on was now a nice downhill incline to the finish.

photo 033_zpststkqovx.jpg

photo 034_zpscfku4lqg.jpg

photo 035_zpsnoplekdq.jpg

photo 036_zpsr5mvkbtw.jpg

photo 037_zpsjtw9kai2.jpg

photo 038_zpsqq2zlcgk.jpg

My friend Mark running backwards while I took his photo...and still faster than me, lol, even running backwards

photo 039_zps7vvkcgnr.jpg

photo 040_zpsp16lvnvf.jpg

photo 041_zpslsqzz6qo.jpg

photo 042_zps54aiyxfo.jpg

photo 043_zps9uzmaxqb.jpg

photo 044_zps63dgagsu.jpg

photo 045_zpsrgvvfesj.jpg

I wish I could learn to do that...take a nap while running

photo 046_zpsilutismy.jpg

photo 047_zpstjjkrr3w.jpg

photo 048_zps30ypwtqk.jpg

photo 049_zps8klyvlxe.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

After I crossed the timing mats, I went over here for a little rest. Appropriate, huh?

photo 050_zps26kno6gk.jpg

Then it was off and wandering around taking photos of the “happy finishers”, etc.

Yes, I actually did hand each of them a dog biscuit, lol.

photo 051_zpsk02xb0pg.jpg

photo 052_zpsidtvrdnp.jpg

photo 053 - Copy_zpspgpmslux.jpg

photo 054_zps9xlcoai0.jpg

photo 055_zpstajwa1wv.jpg

Our lovely announcer, who did a great job calling in the finishers names, numbers, etc. as they came in.

photo 056_zpszpejy6zb.jpg

Bob and City Manager Sheryl Sculley

photo 057 - Copy_zpsgd1ol9ct.jpg

photo 058 - Copy_zpsrgm89dgh.jpg

photo 059_zpskz37tmzj.jpg

photo 060_zps8zsr38rj.jpg

photo 061_zpsrbamo87z.jpg

photo 063_zpsgnhvfill.jpg

photo 065_zpscm33epo2.jpg

photo 066_zpsogf0olrk.jpg

photo 067_zpssaraxrcz.jpg

photo 068_zpsbjgjwdpf.jpg

photo 069_zpslhulbnhm.jpg

photo 070_zpsj9fpreqr.jpg

photo 071 - Copy_zpsc2khxhxk.jpg

I got a photo with 'the twins"  .  OK, they're not really twins, but everyone who sees them together thinks they are.

photo 072_zpsigh4ocnl.jpg

photo 073_zpsg31rzjnx.jpg

photo 074 - Copy_zpslszm70s5.jpg

Had a nice chat with this speedy fellow, who was a medal finisher.

photo 078_zps1phhnkru.jpg

He and his lovely support team.

photo 079_zpsuqy0zqvi.jpg

Hanging with some of the Street2Feet running group folks, part of a local running program

photo 062_zps66cussf2.jpg

photo 076_zpsanypckj6.jpg

photo 077_zpscftax4h8.jpg

EPILOGUE

Very nicely organized event, unique course, some nice post-race goodies – but no post-race beer though, bummer - and a very happy “party-type” atmosphere. Also, if you participated in the event and you so desired, Sea World tickets for the day were available at a really good discount for participants. I’ve done this one several times in the past and will continue to do so in the future.  Always fun for me, especially as I love doing “huge” events with lots of participants.   Nice seeing lots of my friends out there.   Definitely would recommend you give this one a try.

Mucho thanks to all the city employees, volunteers, law enforcement, Sea World staff, etc. – all the people who made this one happen for we participants.   Y’all dun good for us!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt