Beginners and Beyond

Marathon 5 weeks away - question on LR (Read 187 times)

Ms Chenandler Bong

My 5th marathon is in 5 weeks.  Training up until now has been going perfect.  Injury free, I have been averaging 45-52 miles per week.  I've had 5 ILR's over 19 miles, one being 22.  I have 2 left - 21 this week and 20 in 2 weeks (I'm running a HM next week so will use that as a cutback wee).

My question is this -  my week this week has been crap.  Very, very busy with work and personal commitments.  I've gotten only 3 runs in totally 14 miles.  Should I still do the 21 miles tomorrow?  Cut it to 15?  I don't want to have a LR next week with that HM. 

BTW - I'm not running this race (Disney) for time, only for fun.

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

happylily

I'd do the LR. You have been running long enough, with enough LRs, that you can include a LR in your week even though the rest of the week's mileage was low. You are no newbie. I've broken many rules myself and never went to hell for it.

Good luck, Mary! Let us know how it goes!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

paulski66

miscreant

Do the 21.

The solution to missing training isn't to miss (cut back on) more training...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

My 5th marathon is in 5 weeks.  Training up until now has been going perfect.  Injury free, I have been averaging 45-52 miles per week.  I've had 5 ILR's over 19 miles, one being 22.  I have 2 left - 21 this week and 20 in 2 weeks (I'm running a HM next week so will use that as a cutback wee).

My question is this -  my week this week has been crap.  Very, very busy with work and personal commitments.  I've gotten only 3 runs in totally 14 miles.  Should I still do the 21 miles tomorrow?  Cut it to 15?  I don't want to have a LR next week with that HM. 

BTW - I'm not running this race (Disney) for time, only for fun.

Was it the work and personal stuff that made the workouts short, or are legs tired and need a break?

- hoping it was work and personal.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Ms Chenandler Bong

Totally work and personal.  Hubby out of town, working evenings and over nights wrapping presents at Amazon to earn extra money for kid's dance fund.  And working regular job as well!  It's been rough.  Running for 3 hours tomorrow may be just what I need to recharge.

Was it the work and personal stuff that made the workouts short, or are legs tired and need a break?

- hoping it was work and personal.

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

Docket_Rocket

Do the 21.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

From a physiological perspective, it's probably irrelevant.  I doubt you'll run a higher risk of injury just because the 21 will constitute a high percentage of this weeks mileage because you have a base sufficient to support 21 miles.  OTOH, if you skip it, you've done enough to this point that one more long run may make something like 0.0000001% difference.  Sometimes though, a down week can be just what your body needs.  We tend to try to push through our training and act like the other stuff going on in our lives shouldn't affect it.  My point is that if you feel like running it, then run it but if you don't feel like it, then don't run it and don't feel guilty for skipping it.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

CClay

Better than all of you

That's a lot of 20+ milers on low mileage.

B-Plus

Do whatever you feel up to. It shouldn't make a difference.
                    runmomto3boys

I personally would do the LR.

Love the Half

This is the poster thread of the terror recreational runners experience at the thought of any cutback in training when the reality is that those cutbacks can be very beneficial at times.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

This is the poster thread of the terror recreational runners experience at the thought of any cutback in training when the reality is that those cutbacks can be very beneficial at times.

A cutback is beneficial if the runner experiences fatigue. But the cutback of a scheduled LR is unnecessary if the reason for it is that the runner had to miss other runs during the week because of scheduling conflicts. Two different things.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010