Beginners and Beyond

ThursAllergyDailies (Read 40 times)

Cyberic

For me, Pfitz > Hansons. I'd say tougher and more effective. YMMV. People do well on both.

The tapering difference is overblown. People are like "oh, 3 weeks is too much to taper!"  Look at the Pfitz schedule 3 weeks out and tell me how easy it looks.

I did very well on my first using Hansons. Answering Fred here, even though I'm quoting Dave who has heard my story multiple times. Even though I have never done Pfitz, I agree with Dave about the 3 weeks vs 10 days thing is over-simplifying. Even though the long runs aren't so long with Hansons, you still do your last long run 3 weeks before the race. After that the mileage starts to decrease.

Allergy people, sorry!  I gave in and just take allergy meds every day of the year, and now don't have much of a problem unless it's crazy bad.  

This.

I have had allergies all my life, rarely correlating to season or environment (other than direct reaction from dogs/cats). Attacks usually coming on suddenly with massive sneezing & nose-running. Often short-lasting, starting in the evening and better by morning. Often coming on in the middle of the night & preventing me from sleeping. No drugs ever helped. However around a year ago I started taking both Montelukast (generic Singulair) and Zyrtec every day. The situation is way, way improved. Attacks have become pretty infrequent, and I am sleeping much better. It's been a godsend.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Strength training.

Ugh allergies. I've been playing the fun game of toothache or sinus pain for the past few days. I'm fairly certain it's sinus, cause things that should bother a tooth don't. With the cold spring we had, everything has bloomed all at once. My car used to be blue, it's now a dusty green.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

What distance and effort level do y'all like to do for a shakeout run the day before a marathon?

Extended warm up, e.g. 15-20 minutes of easy running followed by 4-6 strides.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

What distance and effort level do y'all like to do for a shakeout run the day before a marathon?

20 minutes easy preferably, but no more than 4 miles.

LRB

I was up at 1:30 to catch a 6:00 am flight to Sin City so it's a rest day for me.

I promptly had breakfast at Bellagio at 9:30, then lunch at Mandalay Bay at 12:30. And ooh lookie, it's coming up on 6:30. It'll be time to plow through some more yumminess in a bit before taking in the Blue Man Group later tonight.

David Copperfield and Pitbull are also on the agenda this weekend, as is a whole of FOOD. Oh, and thanks to you, I bought a sample of milk chocolate and dark chocolate espresso beans. Thanks?

LRB

Good morning.  5 today with 8 strides at the end.  51 and cloudy, but humid enough that I could see my breath from time to time.  Eyes and throat a bit scratchy despite the anti histamines.

I'm weighing Hansons and Pfitzinger for my fall marathon training.  I notice they have a big difference of opinion on tapering. Pfitzinger calls for 3 weeks.  Hansons do 10 days.  Though Daniels doesn't have a daily schedule with weekly mileage, he seems to lean towards the shorter end.  I'm sure at my level I'll do well to follow either plan.  I just found the contrast interesting.

I haven't done it but it seems with the sheer volume of the Pfitz plan, it takes about that long to feel normal and be race ready.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I was up at 1:30 to catch a 6:00 am flight to Sin City so it's a rest day for me.

I promptly had breakfast at Bellagio at 9:30, then lunch at Mandalay Bay at 12:30. And ooh lookie, it's coming up on 6:30. It'll be time to plow through some more yumminess in a bit before taking in the Blue Man Group later tonight.

David Copperfield and Pitbull are also on the agenda this weekend, as is a whole of FOOD. Oh, and thanks to you, I bought a sample of milk chocolate and dark chocolate espresso beans. Thanks?

If you want some good Italian food just off the Strip near the Linq & the Flamingo, go to Battista's Hole in the Wall. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but the food was really good. And if you eat in the dining room, you get free house wine with dinner.

You're welcome, although perhaps we weren't clear enough, because there is no need for the milk chocolate version.

Enjoy Vegas!

Dave

Docket_Rocket

OK, I don't get why you need 5 hours to get to the airport????

Ooh, Pitbull!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Italiana626

The Latecomer

Legit.  About 3 weeks ago I pissed a guy off so much, and I'm not sorry.  He kept bugging me, "What's wrong with him?  Why is he so skinny?  What did you do to him?"  I finally got fed up after giving ^^^that answer, and straight up asked the guy, "Well, since we're on the subject, why are you so fat?  Does your wife force feed you?  Do you have a gland problem?  Do you just like being fat?  It's not healthy you know.  You really should do something about it."

Unsurprisingly, he got all butt hurt, and starts backpedaling, "I was just kidding, can't you take a joke?"  My response, "Yeah.  About as well as you can apparently."

Shut that convo down real fast.  Mike. Drop.

And the guy in the store?  Fuck that shit.  That's why when people say the whole harassment thing is all in the past, I'm like NOPE.  Still alive and well.  Bulletin: strange women don't want to smile for you or joke about sex or hear their bodies discussed, leave us the fuck alone.

LM - Woman, I love you always, but maybe most of all today. So much truth here. Thanks for speaking it.

As for me, I live in the south, where easily 90% of people are at least overweight, and the majority are obese. When I was somewhat underweight a few years ago, people did not hesitate to comment about why was I so skinny, and I should really eat a cheeseburger, and how 'real women have curves' - that one pisses me off the most. I am a real woman!! It always amazes me how it's not acceptable to mention when someone is overweight, but the other end of the spectrum is fucking fair game for whatever you want to say.

Anyway, it was stupid hot after work, 85 degrees, but I did my 4.2 miles. I'm on track to have my first 4 run day week since the comeback. Happy!

KCRuns

Delicious food can be found at Momofuku (spicy chilled noodles and shrimp buns are amazing) at the Cosmopolitan and dessert at Milk Bar (chocolate pretzel dulce milkquake is fantastic) right next to it.  They have some fun cocktails, too.

KCRuns

Lots of good advice for my run tomorrow, thank you! I think I’ll just run to the lake and back with a few strides thrown in, just 2-2.5 miles total.  It’ll be nice to get the blood moving before I have to sit in the car for a few hours.

Docket_Rocket

Lots of good advice for my run tomorrow, thank you! I think I’ll just run to the lake and back with a few strides thrown in, just 2-2.5 miles total.  It’ll be nice to get the blood moving before I have to sit in the car for a few hours.

Good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Coastal

Got caught up on back reading.  People and weight -- they make no sense.  When I lost over 100 lbs I had people asking me if I had anything seriously wrong, like cancer.  Now I have people telling me I look great and should be eating xyz crap when I'm still over weight and am struggling to keep it that way, and no, I don't want to eat that cinnamon roll (but I'd love to so please get it out of my face).

Got out to visit with my podiatrist.  My recently rebuilt orthotics need to be rebuilt again.  The company messed them up so this time it should hopefully be a different company.

Leg work and three miles on the TM after three days off from running in a row.  I'm having serious motivation problems.  Could be because during the winter and most of spring I was doing between 1.5 to 2 hours of gym work followed by an hour or so of running on most days.  That's a lot of time.  It could also partly be I'm getting frustrated after a string of injuries and issues.