Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: San Antonio Jingle Bell Run for Arthritis (Read 25 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

THE DETAILS

This was my 72nd race of 2014 and my 2nd 5K of 4 planned for the weekend of December 13-14.   I did the St. Jude's Jingle Bells 5K at 8 a.m. on the 13th and then did this event at 4:30 pm on the 14th.   This event was in support of finding a cure for Arthritis and is presented in various cities around the country by the Arthritis Foundation.  Hosted by Valero Energy, a San Antonio based Fortune 500 company with a big heart that does lots of community support.    The 5K had 131 finishers.  I ended up with a chip time of 33:21, 3rd place AG.

BEFORE THE START

Before this event started, I went to pick up my packets for my two Sunday event, then hustled on over to Valero, got my stuff there, got on my race bib and then wandered around taking various pre-start photos of participants, volunteers, and supporters. There was also a band there playing music for us

My 'running crush' Bernadette was doing this one too

"Buddy" the mascot for H-E-B - a huge store in Texas, very popular, groceries, etc., and, like Valero, very community helpful

The Law Enforcement Bear was there....

ON THE COURSE

National Anthem was sung and then we were off.  A little loop around the Valero Campus, then it was down an incline to a nearby  paved 'greenway trail", an out-and-back there, then back onto the incline, which was now UP - and back to the finish.

On the Valero campus...

On the greenway paved trail....by the time I got down there, some of the speedier folks were already heading back to the finish

It can be lonely at times, when you're slow like me....  

After that last photo, I hustled on back to the finish.  Going up the incline I caught up with a kid, maybe about 7 or 8, and we ran together toward the finish.  I jokingly told him "I know you can beat me in, bud, I'm an old man, you go for it."  And wow, he sure did!  He finished before me quite handily, and I was not at all 'letting up' for him either. Congrats to him! I wanted to get a photo with him when we finished; but he was at the race with his aunt, whom we could not find right then, and I did not want to take his photo without his guardian's permission, so he wandered off to look for her - I never did see him again after that - and I began my thing of taking the "Happy Finishers et al" photos...

AFTER THE FINISH

Free popcorn

...and sausage wraps, prepared by these good folks.  The sausages were delicious!

Ruh roh!  Hey, his "SD" tag would be perfect for my name too!

I took 4 photos of these patient folks before I finally got it right for them with the last 2...the first 2 were blurry as all get out....nice only if they were in witness protection...

I kept trying to get a photo with the little girl looking up but just as she did and then just as I 'snapped', she would look down again, lol.   So I will let Mom choose which one here she likes best...

EPILOG

This one is a keeper on my race calendar each year.   I always try to do this one each year, since I have arthritis, so it is personal for me.  I am lucky, though, although I have my 'bad days', my arthritis does not totally debilitate me like it does for some people and so far, thank the Lord, I have more good days than bad days.  It is ALWAYS there to some degree, but I have learned to adapt. Some people have it SO much worse than me.  For whatever degree anyone has it, I sure hope someday a cure is found so no one will have to suffer at ANY degree.   As for this event, another nice one for the day!  Smaller than my morning event, but nice post-race goodies (no beer though, darn the luck ), also had a drawing for prizes, and a very nice venue for the race, and a nice course.  And of course, the great people - volunteers, participants, etc.   MUCHO thanks to our host Valero and their folks, to all the law enforcement/security out there for us, and all the great volunteers and everyone else that helped make this all happen.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Okay Scotty - my cousins/uncle live in the San Antonio area. My cousin works for Valero and ran that race yesterday! You managed to get a picture of him - he's bib number 287 near the bottom of your pictures Smile. What a small world?!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

sapf - very cool.  Small world indeed.

Scotty - that looks like a nice place to run.  Is the greenway part of your usual greenway route?

Cyberic

I notice you took and posted 3 pictures of that nice looking woman in the pink jacket. You usually take only one (or post only one). What's up with that? 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I notice you took and posted 3 pictures of that nice looking woman in the pink jacket. You usually take only one (or post only one). What's up with that? 

As said in my report:  I decided to let mom decide which of the 3 photos she liked best, so posted them all for her to choose..

outoftheblue

What fun!  I love the "define naughty" t-shirts.

Life is good.

AFSCR

Thanks so much for supporting the Arthritis Foundation's Jingle Bell Run/Walk in San Antonio.

We loved seeing your photos and commentary! To learn more about the life-improving and life-saving work of the Arthritis Foundation in Texas, visit www.arthritis.org/Texas and connect with with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

LRB

Okay Scotty - my cousins/uncle live in the San Antonio area. My cousin works for Valero and ran that race yesterday! You managed to get a picture of him - he's bib number 287 near the bottom of your pictures Smile. What a small world?!

That is totally rad yo. 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Nice pic of you and your running crush. BIG smile on you.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I remember them, we had a nice chat.  Very nice people.