Beginners and Beyond

loyalty to RW (Read 277 times)

flarunner

I posted a similar question over on the L&O user group yesterday. After reading the responses and some more thought, I realized I asked the wrong question there, so am trying to tweak things to see what you folks think.

Full disclosure: I have started 3 threads about RW in the span of 2 days and have been accused of being fascinated with RW myself. But, no, I’m just fascinated with the dynamic between the people of B&B and L&O and the website of Runner’s World.

I'm not making this a "this place is better/that place is better", if you like one place better, fine. Just tell me why. Oh, and inquiring minds…

The following three quotes are good examples of what I’m curious about.

... We lost a lot of regulars across a lot of forums that will hopefully find there (sic) way back... some day. ...

I think for some people there is the hope that if they can fix what was broken over there more of our friends might come back.

It would be nice to see some of them return over time.

I understand that you had a fairly tight-knit community at RW, but what I don't understand is why you feel you need to go back to that site. A community is made up of people; it's not a web address. So when 90-95% of those people (the community) have left that specific web site, the community is no longer there. In fact, I'd say that most of that community is here.

So these are my questions:

Why the need/desire to have people “come back” to that specific web address?

Do you feel any loyalty to the website, not the people, but the web address of Runner’s World?

Yes? No? Tell me why.

Just B.S.

To me a website is a tool to be used for a certain purpose. Be it information or social  interaction or whatever.

Once that tool is no longer useful or serving the purpose, need/want that brought me there then it is no longer

useful to me.

Same as a store. If I like the products/price/service I will shop there. If those things that drew me in the first

place are no  longer fitting my needs then I will find somewhere else to shop.

I don't really care what anyone else does. If they like RW, great. If they like RA, great. If they like and use both then

good for them. I make no judgments either way because it really doesn't matter to me.

My analogy. We built a home before we had kids. White carpet, 1,600 sq feet. Two kids came along. House too

small. Loved the house but it didn't suit our needs anymore. Build new house, 2,500 sq feet. Raised kids and

were very happy here for 20 years. They moved out, house too big. Selling and building a smaller one. Family

can't understand why we could sell our "beautiful" home.

Also same reason I don't use F/B. The drama, bull, information overload and things I don't care about far outweigh

any use I would have for it, therefore I don't use it.

Guess I am a person who values practicality over sentiment.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I used RW because I liked the people there. When the "exodus" happened, I moved here to follow the people I liked. I never much liked RW's forum design - too slow and not terribly compatible with mobile (which is where 75% of my browsing comes from). RA as a website is faster and cleaner, and I imported my log which I think is a super-neat feature.

If everyone went back to RW, I can't promise I'd follow again, but I'm friends with several of them on Facebook so that's okay.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

The beginners forum at RW is a much higher traffic, much easier to find forum than this one.  This community was built there.  The foundation that this community was built on was a combination of regular posters talking about whatever and a constant influx of "newbies" asking newbie questions.  This forum does attract new members, but it is not the same.  For people who like taking care of the newbies, there is a huge draw to post on RW.

$0.02

**Ask me about streaking**

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

RW in enjoyable to me (I wouldn't necessarily call it "loyalty") because there is a high turnover of people, new people, new topics, and more posts and topics throughout the day.  The forums here at RA are a lot slower as far as responses and new questions, and the subgroups are kinda the same people and no new blood which gets kinda boring.  No offense.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

happylily

Loyalty, no. Nostalgia, yes. That, plus higher traffic. That's my short answer.

But I like it here also, because it feels more intimate. I haven't gone over yet to RW. But maybe I'll look eventually. Not interested at the moment.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

I just go where the action is.

<3

MrNamtor

Loyalty to a site that has abused you, cheated you, ruined your life, ruined your country, stolen money from your children's piggy bank and inappropriately fondled your wife on a crowded train?

Ok just channeling a well known poster here.  Basically I agree with whatever anyone has said here.

MrNamtor

Also testing a viewpoint in L & O is like testing your arm out in

a hyena cage

Luke79

Funny Namtor, I was going to say inb4 SRL.

I came here with everyone else initially.  We have lost quite a few regular posters over time, but I still like this site WAAY better than runnersworld.  I just wish the turnover was higher in the general and 101 forums here, which is why I pretty much stick to B and B.  I'm just really used to this group and it's comfortable.

Buelligan

I still go to the old place.  It's a lot better now with the new format.  I never did totally abandon the place, but it did get hard to visit when they were having their troubles.  I've been a member too long there to leave just because of a format change or pushy moderator.  Been through quite a bit of that through the years there, this recent shake-up is nothing new.

No reason why you can't be active on both sites.  Moth must at least lurk here because he's mentioned stuff at RW that I posted here.

happylily

Loyalty to a site that has abused you, cheated you, ruined your life, ruined your country, stolen money from your children's piggy bank and inappropriately fondled your wife on a crowded train?

Ok just channeling a well known poster here.  Basically I agree with whatever anyone has said here.

LOL...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Also testing a viewpoint in L & O is like testing your arm out in

a hyena cage

Its time to put on your big-boy pants.

You people have issues 

Docket_Rocket

I agree with April's post below.  I moved because of the people and the website is only the conduit to connect with the people.  Some of the forumites from the BF from 3-5 years ago don't even come here or there and I connect with them in FB.  I will go where everybody else is, but like April mentioned, even the new RWOL is completely incomptabible with my iPhone so I barely even go there anymore.  If people feel the need to go there by some sense of nostalgia, that is fine; however, I don't believe that any website, or FB, or anything deserves any loyalty.  Only the people you have connected to throughout the years deserve such.

I used RW because I liked the people there. When the "exodus" happened, I moved here to follow the people I liked. I never much liked RW's forum design - too slow and not terribly compatible with mobile (which is where 75% of my browsing comes from). RA as a website is faster and cleaner, and I imported my log which I think is a super-neat feature.

If everyone went back to RW, I can't promise I'd follow again, but I'm friends with several of them on Facebook so that's okay.

The beginners forum at RW is a much higher traffic, much easier to find forum than this one.  This community was built there.  The foundation that this community was built on was a combination of regular posters talking about whatever and a constant influx of "newbies" asking newbie questions.  This forum does attract new members, but it is not the same.  For people who like taking care of the newbies, there is a huge draw to post on RW.

$0.02

I agree in part, except people keep talking about a BF that I don't think will ever exist again, so talking about how it used to me and complaining over and over about how RA or the new RWOL is not the same as it was before is really useless.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Village people

Its time to put on your big-boy panties.

Fyp.