Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 43: Andiamo Race Productions Cerveza 5K (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2043%20Cervaza%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 43rd race of 2018 was Andiamo Race Productions Cerveza 5K held on June 16.  Location was Concepcion Park, a very nice park along the San Antonio Riverwalk.  Start time of 7:30 a.m., which was nice because with rain threatening over the past couple of days, it was VERY humid and the temp was already near 80 degrees even with the 7:30 a.m. start.   I arrived at the park about an hour before start time, got my timing chip and then wandered around taking a few pre-start photos.

I have arrived. Wearing last year's shirt as my 'dry' shirt.  For the race I took this one off and ran in a singlet.

The lonely start line before the start

And a start-line neighbor, along the theme of the race

A couple of our MCs

Various participants, volunteers, etc

4 lovely ladies....with a sense of humor

Timing chip volunteers

Local race management company iaap did the course setup, timing, results, etc.

With friend "Trainer Travis"

In the start crowd.  Someone told me  540 had registered. I don't know if they all showed up, but we had a nice start crowd.

ON THE COURSE

This course gives you some nice views along the Riverwalk but you do pay for it with hills along the course.  I’ve done this course several times in the past so knew what to expect.  With this many registrants, the course was a bit crowded in places – and the Riverwalk was also still open to other runners and cyclists and walkers not doing the race – but where I was at any given time I did not see anyone getting impeded, tripped up, or whatever.  Everything seemed to go pretty smooth.  During my walk-and-photo breaks I made sure to move off the course as far left or right as I could so as not to interfere with anyone myself.  It all worked out pretty well for everyone – at least where I was at any given time – and I ended up with a chip time finish of 33:07.  10-year age groups for this one and I was forth in my age group of 60 to 69.  There are some speedy old guys in my town, lol.

First walk break... dark clouds threating, storms predicted off-and-on...we got none during the race, but it was very humid. 

2nd and last walk break....I made the turn-round point and am now heading toward the finish

River to the right of me now

At top of the hill we went down to get to the turn-round point..... up on the way to the finish...and a nice view of the river

One more short stop to get a photo of the bridge we crossed twice during this event

After that, nonstop to the finish... 33:07 chip time.

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some water – nice they had it right past the finish line, all iced down – got a photo happy finisher me, and then got a few photos of some other people finishing. Then wandered back to the main race after-party area where tacos, cold beer, maragaritas, Gatorade, water, and more were being served up – and got some photos of the ‘happy finishers’, supporters, volunteers, some of the medal winners, etc.

A few blurry spots on some of the photos....I forgot to wipe my camera lens after I was done

I am done....yay!

This guy....my friend, first event after an injury, hadn't raced in a month..and does 30 minutes at this one

Kids can sleep anywhere, lol

Oh yeah..  a cold one post-race on a humid day

Thanked these two - our taco preparers

With friend Bernadette...this was her 47th race of the year

With friend Carolyn

Ladies..this eye-candy guy is available...that's his sister he's with. 

He is speedy too...first in his age group.

My speedy friend Tanya - first overall female - and a themed award for the race, lol.

Bernadette, as usual, placed.  1st in her age group today

My friend, 70+ and still going strong!

EPILOGUE

Andiamo Race Productions puts on a really good show.   Usually always have good courses for their events and really nice after-parties that include food, drink, and some kind of music entertainment.  They also usually have very unique finisher medals for everyone and nicely done – and usually themed for the race – medals or awards for the age group placers.  Very nice quality race shirts too that usually match the theme of the race.   Andiamo puts on a whole series of races which you can sign up for individually or sign up for all of them as a “bundle package” and get a nice discount. I have done quite a few Andiamo Race Productions races and they never disappoint.  I definitely would recommend their events to my fellow runners and walkers.

Mucho thanks to all the people who made this one happen for we participants:  all our sponsors and all the volunteers out there for us in whatever capacity; our MCs who did a great job; the Taco truck folks – great tacos; Park Police guys out there for us; and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you so much for what all of you do so we participants can have an event!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Looks like there was quite a variety of cervezas.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Looks like there was quite a variety of cervezas.

Yeah, about 4 or 5 different brands.  They also had margaritas.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt