Beginners and Beyond

Dumb idea or not? (Read 50 times)

We are nothing if not enablers.

Pacing it properly will reduce the amount of suckage you will have to endure. For me, mile 19 seems to be the mile that the other shoe drops. lol

^ all this. Go out paced very conservatively. And don't go crazy with the mileage buildup either. People have certainly run marathons on a lot worse mileage bases than you have right now. Heh, "people" -- certainly no one I know. 

Dave

LRB

Heh, "people" -- certainly no one I know. 

Docket_Rocket

Which us why I asked here. The other place you are not worthy of running a full if you have not been doing 50+ miles for more than a year and/or are a sub 2 half marathoner. Or shouldn't be considering it if you would be happy with 5 hours. 

Basically with the way the summer went, my running options were run slow or very short intervals, neither leave me feeling like I can run a strong half in a month. I figure with no time pressure, this is a decent option. Then hope for an ok winter and do a spring half. And figure out what I did to greatly piss off the weather gods and make amends.

How about those running 50+ AND still running close to 5 hours.  Some of us do suck anyway.  LOL.  You can do it. And we don't mean that like unicorns crapping rainbows.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

I ran a full last year on 40 mpw base, one 15 miler as my only LR, and 4 days between registering and running.

It was awesome because there was no pressure to do anything other than show up and enjoy. Feel like walking up a hill? Don't mind if I do! I know the last 10K was harder than it would have been if I had trained, but that part of the race sucks anyway.

So seriously, if you're trained for a half now, and just want to enjoy the race then, I say go for it.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Zelanie, that helps. Having driven the road part of the course, the last 2 miles will really suck, gee, thanks, miles 25 and 26 are uphill.

Cyberic

That last hour or so will probably suck, but it's only an hour or so 

I try to stay away from that statement. I've been through over an hour of suckage in Boston, and I have permanent brain damage because of it.

It seems to me like you feel like doing it, so do like you think. You won't be as prepared as if you had trained a full cycle for it, but if you pace yourself smartly, it can be an enjoyable experience. You have enough of a base to do fine.

Docket_Rocket

I did 3 marathons late last year with 1-2 LRs at 14.  I had the base to do them from before, but they were all faster than the prior one and no hour of feeling like shit at all.  I just could not do more than 13-14 with the illness I got from the moldy bookcases so it was what it was.  And they were my fastest marathons of the year with the exception of Paris which I trained for 7 months prior.  It can be done and with no issues.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

I try to stay away from that statement. I've been through over an hour of suckage in Boston, and I have permanent brain damage because of it.

Well there are degrees of suckage. Without the LR, I wilted during the last 10K of the marathon for sure. But I wasn't the guy that I passed at mile 24 or something who would walk or jog a tiny bit, stop, grab his hamstring, then repeat. That was suckage. I was just tired.