Beginners and Beyond

Hump Day WednesDAILIES (Read 35 times)

LRB

Ha!  I guess when I got punched it was in a very tender spot.  Personally, I still prefer a marathon over an all out 5K, but maybe I like my pain slow and drawn out. 

I can dig it. My preferred distances stop after the 10k (mile and 5k), everything that follows is an obligation. lol

RunningOnSand

Hello chatty runners of the interwebs!

So, wine. I realized I'm getting [more of] a belly, and looked at my diet and realized the only thing that's really changed is more alcohol during the week. I don't drink a lot - maybe a glass (or two) if I'm really feeling frisky, but add 1-2 glasses of wine over the course of 4 extra days and those calories add up.  I've decided that if I actually have a legitimate goal of leaning up this summer (a la Whiskers--I remember you saying you'd lost some pounds) then I need to actually do something about it. Which makes me a bit sad. B/c sitting on our porch overlooking the lake with a glass of something in my hands sounds so divine. I guess I'll have to have that be a La Croix or some other bull shit.  You all will just have to remind me that this will pay off in dividends come October when I'm running my FM.

I also like to hear what everyone is eating, at every meal. Today I ate beans & rice, with blackened mahi mahi. It was aight. I think I need to go get more veggies and actually prep them.

I also ran 5 miles. I read somewhere to keep easy runs under 150 bpm and so that's what I tried to do. Only, I find it impossible to maintain an easy effort up hills, b/c I feel like I"m moving like molasses. So I end up speeding up even more than on flat lands, and skyrocketing my HR. #runnerslogic But then it doesn't stop--I want to keep moving faster. So I unintentionally end up speeding up, and then have to remind myself to slow down (and the harder effort is definitely felt--it's not like it feels awesome). So...do any of you do this??? I feel like such a weirdo every time I do this. Not even sure I'm making any sense.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

You ultrarunner!

I still consider myself a wannabe. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I also ran 5 miles. I read somewhere to keep easy runs under 150 bpm and so that's what I tried to do. Only, I find it impossible to maintain an easy effort up hills, b/c I feel like I"m moving like molasses. 

When training by HR, especially when I want to keep HR low, I will allow wiggle room for hills.  I will let HR go 10 or even 15 bpm higher than target going uphill, but then I will take it nice and easy on downhills and allow the HR drop below target.  Usually, it will average out.  If I'm just not getting into a good groove on the flats, sometimes I will stop, rest a bit, and see if I can restart at the right pace for HR.  If that doesn't work, then roll with it.  It's just one of those days.  Training by HR can be frustrating, especially with warmer temps rolling in.  On hot days, forget about it.

Also, I'll cut food before I cut my booze, since it's an integral part of my nutrition plan.

3/17 - NYC Half

RunningOnSand

When training by HR, especially when I want to keep HR low, I will allow wiggle room for hills.  I will let HR go 10 or even 15 bpm higher than target going uphill, but then I will take it nice and easy on downhills and allow the HR drop below target.  Usually, it will average out.  If I'm just not getting into a good groove on the flats, sometimes I will stop, rest a bit, and see if I can restart at the right pace for HR.  If that doesn't work, then roll with it.  It's just one of those days.  Training by HR can be frustrating, especially with warmer temps rolling in.  On hot days, forget about it.

Also, I'll cut food before I cut my booze, since it's an integral part of my nutrition plan.

Genius! Why didn't I consider this before? (all of the above) 

Everyone has their preferred poison.  Personally, I like to avoid pain altogether when given the choice.

All evidence to the contrary.

Dave

You can always expedite it... I know someone who got it in 24 hours.  Don't even want to know how much they paid for that.

You also know someone who got it in approximately 1 hour.

Granted this was a renewal rather than a first time, although still a completely new book. And you have to show up at an official US State Dept. Passport Office. But that's basically how long it takes to make one of those things. It cost $170 total, including whatever the regular fee was.

Dave

Personally, I still prefer a marathon over an all out 5K

No way for me, 5k's are a blast. The pain is over so quickly, and there's basically no recovery, you can get right back to business. And if you fuck it up, you can try again the next weekend.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

All evidence to the contrary.

When given the choice!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

delicate flower

I ran yada yada yada 8.9 miles at 6:44 avg pace.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

5 miles in the rain. Might as well get used to it, rain for the next 4 or 5 days. Yippee!

Docket_Rocket

Whoever said they would cut food before booze (Bert-O?), he completes me.

Ran 2 miles with hubby at a cool temp of 85F and 72 dewpoint, and a fucking lightning storm, then went to OTF, ran 2.70 there of amazing paces and then slugged through the rest outside to make my 6.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Coastal

I never knew what OTF stood for, either.  

Snakes -- I hate snakes.  Not like LM, but they aren't my favorite thing, either.  In late summer and early fall they will come out on the roads, then get flattened.  So, I have seen a snake in the same place twice,  Maybe even a dozen times.  

No run yesterday -- another meeting, three actually.  Got in 8.8 tonight.  Probably meeting tomorrow night.

Tonight when i was running I had two cars with what looked like teenagers in them go flying past too fast.  Later on I had run onto a side road where the porta potty is and the two cars flew across the bridge and down teh gavel road going way too fast.  About a mile or so later I met a state police car coming up the road with lights and siren on.  Then a little bit later I met the first out fire engine, and a while after that an ambulance went by.  Not sure the events are connected or not.  There's not a lot of people living up that road though.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Whoever said they would cut food before booze (Bert-O?), he completes me.

3/17 - NYC Half