Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Race 4 Hope 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO   Report and Photos:  Race 4 Hope 5K

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:      http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%2014%20Run%204%20Hope%205K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

My 14th race of 2017 was the Run 4 Hope 5K on March 4, held at Eisenhower Park in San Antonio, supporting the Rape Crisis Center for Children and Adults.  The race theme was Heroes for the Rape Crisis Center, so several people – and even the dogs too, as this was a dog friendly event – were in various outfits.  I arrived with about an hour to start time and took a few pre-start photos.

I have arrived at the race site.

photo 003_zpscj0m7cgz.jpg

Athlete Guild race company, ready to do the timing, results, etc.

photo 001_zpsynnhrthz.jpg

The unofficial photographer got a photo of the official photographer

photo 006_zpspsnzmkxq.jpg

photo 024_zps1tcpgw0i.jpg

Our pretty 20-something MC who did a great job for us

photo 031_zpsacvv4a4l.jpg

Various other participants, volunteers, supporters, et al

photo 002_zps8kspyukc.jpg

photo 005_zps77ba5l5b.jpg

photo 007_zpsroolf3ru.jpg

When my friend Karen and I are at the same race, I just have to try and make her laugh...

photo 008_zpsdmifxcs0.jpg

She told me to be serious...so okay...

photo 009_zpsagi4nkfh.jpg

But not for long....doggie face lick!

photo 010_zps5vakee6u.jpg

photo 011_zpsim4qmhrf.jpg

photo 012_zpsvgtjzexr.jpg

photo 013_zpsjy5hsegt.jpg

photo 014_zpsmbzvjhle.jpg

photo 015_zpsubgecpiy.jpg

photo 016_zpsmciro9mj.jpg

photo 017_zpskd3dbmll.jpg

photo 018_zpsylnrvxmq.jpg

photo 019_zpsekt111od.jpg

photo 020_zpszhtspvnf.jpg

photo 022_zpsrpjirx1z.jpg

photo 027_zpsinmelden.jpg

photo 028_zpsvwft6ccm.jpg

photo 029_zpsrmr7fibo.jpg

photo 030_zpshoreyaar.jpg

photo 032_zpswmqrge7b.jpg

photo 033_zps4gxl2vv2.jpg

photo 034_zpsbv3mynbg.jpg

photo 036_zpsgtm85lli.jpg

Old Glory standing proud while the National Anthem is sung right before the start...

photo 037_zpsntc3yq66.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Weather was pretty dreary, with temps around 58 degrees, really overcast skies and rain threatening. It drizzled on us a tad before the start but then stopped; while everyone was on the course it stayed nice and dry.  Eisenhower Park is one of THE hilliest parks in San Antonio.  It has both paved trails – which the race was done on – and off-road natural trails.  You cannot do a run in this park on either surface without encountering at a minimum at least 3 or 4 fairly good sized hills, and the off road ones are especially tough. The paved trails we were on were pretty slick in places too, so had to watch the footing, especially coming downhill.  I think most of us were much slower on the downhills than the up. Our course took us up to the top of the park where there is an observation tower…and then we went back down, around another part of the park on a much flatter trail, and then back to the finish. It’s been a while since I ran at Eisenhower, but I have run here a lot, so I knew what to expect. I really thought I’d end up doing around 36 to 37 minutes with these hills, but I surprised myself and finished in 33:41, good enough for 2nd in my age group.  I guess my once-a-week hill training session comes in handy!

And we are off!

A little over a half mile in...and here come the hills...

photo 038_zpsakemoupg.jpg

photo 040_zpsazqcunqi.jpg

photo 041_zpswtnoo3d9.jpg

photo 042_zpsbhapbeon.jpg

photo 043_zps9zybbaum.jpg

photo 044_zpsb3l7cycc.jpg

Leaders already heading back as I am still making my way to the top

photo 045_zpsymzfoegq.jpg

I got to the top, went around the top loop and started back down, getting some photos on the way down..

Nice view back there...we were definitely climbing

photo 046_zpsyv5s8pzm.jpg

Yeah...I was just climbing this a bit ago...

photo 047_zpsud8ffpkl.jpg

photo 048_zpsmzfjwxi3.jpg

photo 049_zpswmooxqcf.jpg

photo 050_zpskc4wsocb.jpg

Last small hill on the way down, and after that it was down all the way to the next trail we went on

photo 051_zps4dr6dqok.jpg

photo 052_zpsfqu1i0ql.jpg

Behind me...other people coming down, some still going up

photo 053_zpstrk1igif.jpg

photo 054_zps1ail6y0u.jpg

After that last photo above, I then ran nonstop to the finish.

After I finished, got a photo of this guy coming in.  We had pretty much been in proximity of each other for most of the way.   The finish was nice and flat.   Tongue

photo 055_zpsynee8fgx.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Cool down walk and some water and then around to get some randomly taken photos of happy finishers, supporters, volunteers, etc.  All while munching on one of the post-race goodies, a Kiolbassa sausage wrap; love that kiolbassa, it is about the only sausage I can eat that does not upset my stomach.

photo 056_zpsmpessg4d.jpg

photo 057_zps5q5jrsqz.jpg

photo 059_zpskp1trgym.jpg

I thought this was funny...Supergirl's hair even has powers...some kind of Power Light coming out of it!   (actually, I think the flash on my camera went off and produced this effect, lol)

photo 060_zpsppjajma0.jpg

photo 061_zpspiqr8xt7.jpg

photo 062_zpskhc5kcci.jpg

Athlete Guild busy at the finish, recording the times, posting the results, etc.  I caught them here at a brief lull in between finishing runners

photo 063_zpshnenslph.jpg

Thanks for all the sausage wraps, you sausage volunteers!

photo 064_zpszphtipgi.jpg

photo 065_zpswx71cse7.jpg

My Super Power is eating Kiolbassa sausage!

photo 066_zpsrdo8l6nn.jpg

Thanks, ladies!  These two volunteers were taking photos of everyone who wanted one, using the participant's camera, so he/she would have a keeper photo in front of the sign.

photo 067_zpsjfc8cv1x.jpg

photo 068_zpsgzskjyo2.jpg

photo 069_zpsizrehzft.jpg

My speedy friend here, on the right,  was 2nd overall female.

photo 070_zpslrujcffc.jpg

photo 071_zpsemrroudi.jpg

Had a nice chat with these two lovely sisters

photo 072_zpsrxuuirxv.jpg

photo 073_zpsnarkue4k.jpg

photo 074_zpswk2uqcah.jpg

2nd place, 60 - 64 year male age group.   And another medal for the cancer kids at the San Antonio Children's Hospital.  The rare times I do get an AG award, that's where it goes...I donate them to the kids getting treated in the cancer ward at the hospital.  I think they need it more than I do.

photo 075_zpsxihrcerb.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a smaller event than some of the other local races, but well organized, a very challenging course, and lots of great volunteers, race organizers, and participants, all for a good cause.   Really nice quality race tee too.  This one is a lot of fun – even with the hills.  I’ve done this one in the past and will definitely do it again in the future.  I certainly recommend it to my fellow runners.

MUCHO THANKS to all the people that made this one happen for we partipants!  The center’s staff/employees, all the volunteers, law enforcement that was out there for us, the ‘official’ photographers and, of course, all the sponsors/vendors that donate not only their monetary support to help this one go, but also their time for we participants.

Hope you enjoyed the report and photos!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

The costumes, especially on the dogs, made me laugh.