Beginners and Beyond

Race Report: Shamrock Half (Read 55 times)

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Hi All!

I posted a 10K race report in this forum in January and I got some really excellent feedback. I'm still basking in the happiness of my PR from Sunday's half marathon, so I wanted to share my recap here.

Shamrock Half Marathon Race Report.

I used to have a really difficult time running in adverse weather conditions. It was a mental struggle for me, but I've worked hard to overcome it. Thanks to whoever reads this!

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

GinnyinPA

Congratulations!  Doing that well in such brutal conditions is a real win.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wow, I got cold just reading those darn temps!

Congrats on your accomplishment!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

Awesome job! Negative split in those conditions to boot, nice! Big grin

Good luck at Boston, I will likely be spectating in the city somewhere!

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Thanks everyone. The best part of the day might have been the hot bath afterwards! The water kept getting cold because I was like one human-sized ice cube.

Cyberic

Wow! You ran an awesome race, right in the chunk of marathon training. Congratulations, and I wish you perfect weather and a tail wind in Boston!

Docket_Rocket

At least someone finished her race, cause I sure didn't.  It was horrible (I was doing the full) so I quit in front of my hotel.  Congrats on the PR!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Docket-- I know quite a few people who didn't finish. It was a really tough day!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Great report and race, especially managing the wind. BTW Boston may be hillier than Shamrock, but despite rumors to the contrary, Boston can be a very fast PR course if you pace it right and adjust for the mild downhill start and the placement of the hills in Newton.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

WCrunner, I keep reading different things on pacing. Do you recommend starting the race at goal pace? Or slightly slower?

Cyberic

WCrunner, I keep reading different things on pacing. Do you recommend starting the race at goal pace? Or slightly slower?

I am also wondering what your take on pacing Boston is George. My training is pretty much done, now I can start concentrating on race strategy.

onemile

I'm not George but it doesn't make sense to run the first part of Boston slightly slower than goal pace when the first few miles are downhill.  Slightly faster than goal pace but don't get too carried away, which is easy to do.

LRB

"I must have checked the weather about 30 times yesterday!"

I'm not George either, but that's way too low for a hobby jogger. There should be a 1 in front of that 3, at a minimum! Tongue

Mmmmm...beer

Great job!!  I love Shamrock, it was my first marathon, and I've done the half twice, great race!!  I'm coming back up next year to do it again, I miss it.  Those conditions sucked, I was running in the same storm, just a lil south of you guys, at the Wrightsville Beach Marathon.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!