Beginners and Beyond

Venom is off his rocker . . . . AGAIN. A solo fatass ultra (Read 85 times)

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Morning all. Yesterday would have been my mother's 70th birthday but cancer took her from us back in 1980. She was only 36 at the time. I have decided to do something special for her memory through my running. For the next 30 or so weeks I will be training to do a special run in her memory, I am calling it 70 for 70. 70 miles in honor of her 70th birthday.

Right now the goal run date is October 11, 2014.

So this summer will be lots of long runs as i get ready for this event. I have the route already mostly roughed out along with a training guide to get me there. Now its time to execute the plan.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

That's a very nice tribute Venom. I wish you well in your training. I can't imagine how difficult the distance is.

- Andrew

LRB

From reading the travails of the ultra runners whom frequent this forum, that is going to be one incredible undertaking.  Not impossible though so good luck to you!

happylily

36 is way too young... I'm sure she's proud of you and of your love for her. Have fun training for this very crazy thing! 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Wow. Just wow. Good luck to you!

Dave

Best wishes as you train for this tribute to your departed mother.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

StepbyStep-SH

What an incredible tribute - even just in committing to the training to be able to complete it. If there is anything we can do to support you, remotely, Doug, just ask!

My biggest advice - have a local team of family and friends ready to support you that day. It will be a long day, but hopefully incredibly satisfying when you get it done.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

My biggest advice - have a local team of family and friends ready to support you that day. It will be a long day, but hopefully incredibly satisfying when you get it done.

I will be passing through 5 different towns on my route and they all have convenience stores to hit up to get water and Gatorade refills at.  Planning at least 1 rally point with my wife so I can change in to dry clothes and shoes.  Plus she will be on speed dial for any other needs.

I am also planning to train many of my longer runs on the route so I am familiar with it and so I can decide early on what areas need to be revised for traffic.  First 10 miles are going to be lots of rolling hills I already know and then the terrain will flatten out more.  My longest stretch between towns is 15 miles so that is not all that bad.  I think I can carry 15 miles of water easily for this between my 2L Camelbak for water and a 20oz Amphipod belt for Gatorade.

I ran the first 7 miles of the route yesterday on an out and back 14 miler and while it was hilly I know it will flatten out as I keep heading south.

Venom, that is slightly crazy but fully awesome.

Good luck and train well, can't wait to hear about your adventure this Fall.

StepbyStep-SH

I will be passing through 5 different towns on my route and they all have convenience stores to hit up to get water and Gatorade refills at.  Planning at least 1 rally point with my wife so I can change in to dry clothes and shoes.  Plus she will be on speed dial for any other needs.

I am also planning to train many of my longer runs on the route so I am familiar with it and so I can decide early on what areas need to be revised for traffic.  First 10 miles are going to be lots of rolling hills I already know and then the terrain will flatten out more.  My longest stretch between towns is 15 miles so that is not all that bad.  I think I can carry 15 miles of water easily for this between my 2L Camelbak for water and a 20oz Amphipod belt for Gatorade.

I ran the first 7 miles of the route yesterday on an out and back 14 miler and while it was hilly I know it will flatten out as I keep heading south.

Anyone who can run with you? Even for a few miles here or there? Emotional support will likely be just as important - when you are tired, your mind can play tricks. And with the extra emotion this run will carry by virtue of your reason for doing it, having someone else along for those last miles might be good.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Zelanie

Best of luck, and a lovely way to honor her memory.

Docket_Rocket

Morning all. Yesterday would have been my mother's 70th birthday but cancer took her from us back in 1980. She was only 36 at the time. I have decided to do something special for her memory through my running. For the next 30 or so weeks I will be training to do a special run in her memory, I am calling it 70 for 70. 70 miles in honor of her 70th birthday.

Right now the goal run date is October 11, 2014.

So this summer will be lots of long runs as i get ready for this event. I have the route already mostly roughed out along with a training guide to get me there. Now its time to execute the plan.

That is a great way to remember her.  Good luck on this endeavor!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

See if any of your friends are willing to run a section with you.  Do you have a local club or any nearby friends who run?

Birdwell

That's awesome.

Good luck on your preparation!

You haven't said if you'll be doing this solo or have anyone along for portions of it.

There is something to be said about a journey like that by yourself. It can be an almost spiritual experience.

My first two ultra distance runs were solo affairs and they were enlightening. I learned so much about myself and my limits.

Whether it's alone or with friends (or even random strangers met along the way) it will be a great experience!

B-Plus

Somehow I read that as Venom is a rocker. Good luck!