Beginners and Beyond

Chicago Peeps (Read 330 times)

MrNamtor

do you run around oak street beach? because I often run back and forth between navy pier and oak street beach or navy pier and north avenue beach

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

I feel the urge to sing, "It's a small world after all!"

In transit, arriving on time. 

CrisRuns

do you run around oak street beach? because I often run back and forth between navy pier and oak street beach or navy pier and north avenue beach

Since I re-started running, I have kept north of North Av, also because there is a dirt path north of the overpass, while south of that it's all concrete. But I might start running to work,  and as I get more endurance, I will be able to go along the lake, so I will go south in that case and pass your usual hunting grounds.

MrNamtor

I usually run in a roman toga with a fur lined german army helmet to stay warm, so you can't miss me. Give me a shout out if you see me because I'm not sure what you look like.

CrisRuns

I usually run in a roman toga with a fur lined german army helmet to stay warm, so you can't miss me. Give me a shout out if you see me because I'm not sure what you look like.

I look like my avi. Except I wear a white cap.

MrNamtor

I think I've seen you.

SusanRachel

So as expected, very cool conference in the Chicago area that work will not pay to send me to, so I will need to pay for it myself.  Do any of y'all have lodging suggestions that won't break the bank?  The host hotel is close to $300/night.  I would prefer if it was near public transportation so I can get around and not in a super dangerous neighborhood.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Susan, is the conference in one of the suburbs, near O'Hare, or in or near the Loop (downtown Chicago)? To make recommendations a better approximation of the area would be needed.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

Stay at the Hostel! It's right on Congress & Wabash and an amazing value if you don't mind sharing a room!

Hostel International

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

PragmaticRnnr

Fitness Jogger

Stay at the Hostel! It's right on Congress & Wabash and an amazing value if you don't mind sharing a room!

Hostel International

(Cough, cough). Seriously, I would look at Trip Advisor before I'd share a room with someone.  Keep in mind that Chicago is #1 for bedbugs.

I visit my mom in the western 'burbs just outside of O'Hare a few times a year and always stay at a hotel nearby.  We stayed downtown in 2011 and stayed at the Sofitel Hotel.  It was running distance to the lake.  We walked everywhere and no bedbugs back then at that location, FYI.

There are so many options on where to stay, it all depends on where your conference is in relationship to what else you want to see, etc.  Generally, the north side of the city is safer than the south side.

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

(Cough, cough). Seriously, I would look at Trip Advisor before I'd share a room with someone.  Keep in mind that Chicago is #1 for bedbugs.

I've stayed there many times. No bedbug problem at all. And honestly, it's more secure than many of the Mag Mile hotels.

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

SusanRachel

The host hotel is the Chicago Sheraton Hotel and Towers on East North Water St.

Susan, is the conference in one of the suburbs, near O'Hare, or in or near the Loop (downtown Chicago)? To make recommendations a better approximation of the area would be needed.