Beginners and Beyond

Fun Track Workouts (Read 24 times)

KCRuns

Here are all of the fun track workouts that were suggested to me last week for my Monday Night Group.  All can easily be adapted to your own pace or distance needs.  And combining 2-3 or these into one workout could make it more interesting. Feel free to keep adding more to the list!

So_Im_a_Runner:

Dice Workout

Preferably run on a track, the Dice Workout is a fun way to break up a hard day and is usually reserved for when you are not in a race-specific training period.

For this type of workout, 600-1000m intervals work best. Before each rep, roll a die – each number corresponds to a pace pattern that you’ll run for the entire rep. The paces aren’t exact, rather it’s the effort that counts.

For example:

• 1 = alternate easy / medium / hard every 100 meters
    • 2 = alternate easy / hard every 200 meters
    • 3 = run the whole interval at a medium effort
    • 4 = run the whole interval at a hard effort
    • 5 = alternate medium / hard every 100 meters
    • 6 = alternate easy / medium every 100 meters

As for your idea with the hills, I love the idea of incorporating a hill workout with a track workout, but it is pretty challenging. I would think about trying that one in a few weeks. Also, my suggestion would be to be careful with your phrasing of "run a lap as fast as you can." It'd be better to advise people to think about going at a pace they could run a 5k at, or a little faster, to start. Having people maintain a pace for the entire lap as opposed to sprinting 100 and then dying out for the next 300 is what you're aiming for.

Note: For this one, I downloaded an app called Dice Roll (free) so I don't have to carry actual dice.

Fredford66:

When I read Daniels' book, he tended to use short distances (up to 800m) for intervals (i.e. rest period is longer than the run, so run 200 rest 200) and longer distances for repeats (run hard 5 minutes, run easy for 1), but with harder effort on the intervals.  The repeats may be better for a group of mixed speed as everyone can run for 5 minutes at their own pace, and thus keeping the group together.

WCRunner2:

Perhaps introduce them to running at a lot of different paces. Warm up, run 1 lap as follows: 1st 100m easy, 2nd 100m a little bit faster, 3rd 100m faster still, last 100m fast but short of a full all out sprint. Don't want to risk any pulled muscles. Walk over to the hill and run one or two hills, walk back to the track. Repeat until cooked, er I mean done.

Bert-o:

For something different and fun, I'd have them pair up and chase the bunny.  Have one runner go at an easy pace (emphasis on easy) 1/2 way around the track, then the second runner has to chase and catch them.  Then once they're caught, switch.

SIAR:

Another fun variation of this is to pair like-paced runners and have them run laps in opposite directions. The expectation is that they'll finish at the same time, but it can lead to some pretty fun battles down the last 100.

sdWhiskers:

5 x [800 at 5K, jog to hill then 2 x 20s hill sprint, jog back]

LawyerMom17:

10 minutes warm up; 10 minutes @ 10K; 1 minute @ 5k/1 minute recovery x3; 10 minutes @ 10K, 10 minute cool down.

Half Crazy K 2.0:

If you have lots of different paces, do intervals based on time.  If you have a really big range of paces (like 6mm-12mm), then the slower runners could be spending 50-100% longer at a harder pace, use time instead of distance.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Just thought of another one based on the old 2-man 10-mile relay race. Pair up the runners, fastest with slowest, next fastest with next slowest, etc. Then have them alternate running 400m intervals and the recovery time is whatever it takes their partner to run 400m.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

That was not from me, actually. I was quoting a workout and mentioning that I found it very difficult and suggesting so maybe add a rest period. You can leave it in my name, if you want, but it's not from me.

I actually do have a nice track workout for a group, but I'll wait until

A) I have more time

B) I'm not on my phone

to post it

KCRuns

That was not from me, actually. I was quoting a workout and mentioning that I found it very difficult and suggesting so maybe add a rest period. You can leave it in my name, if you want, but it's not from me.

I actually do have a nice track workout for a group, but I'll wait until

A) I have more time

B) I'm not on my phone

to post it

Thanks for pointing that out!  I took it out of my post.

Cyberic

So here's a workout that can be pretty fun, and is inspired by cyclists. Except it's done the opposite.

It works with a group of people of pretty much the same strength.  They all run in single file in lane 1. The leading runner sets the pace. The last runner of the group jumps in lane 2, passes everybody, and takes the lead.  He then sets the pace.

Every half lap (you can change the distance to a lap, or a quarter lap, or whatever) the newest last runner goes in lane 2 and passes everybody to take the lead. And so on.

In the cycling world, the leader will drop to last place instead.

The running version is pretty fun if all the runners in the pack are of similar strength. Otherwise, it won't work.