Beginners and Beyond

Wednesdailies for 10/5 (Read 37 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I ran for 88 minutes geezus, which shall henceforth be known as 10 miles of SUCK. 

10 miles in 88 minutes is pretty impressive to a slow old fart like me, even if the miles did suck.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

So when guys have a race approaching, do you check your log history to see what kind of paces you were running in your hard workouts leading into prior races of the same distance?  Like, I keep checking my log to see what my tempo and LR paces were headed into my last three marathons, trying to figure out if I am behind or ahead of those paces.  My last three marathons were 3:23, 3:16, and 3:26, and I figure I am somewhere in there...

I don't do that at all.  At my age, I just worry if I can finish or not. 

Of course, I don't RACE my events either, like you do, Baboon...so that's probably another reason.  I'm more of a fun runner these days.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Do you work with Docket? 

ETA, or different crazy co worker?

I was about to ask the same thing.

Pilates canceled so even better. I'm tired, running my miles, getting a drink, cooking dinner and hoping the wind does not blow us away.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

So when guys have a race approaching, do you check your log history to see what kind of paces you were running in your hard workouts leading into prior races of the same distance?  Like, I keep checking my log to see what my tempo and LR paces were headed into my last three marathons, trying to figure out if I am behind or ahead of those paces.  My last three marathons were 3:23, 3:16, and 3:26, and I figure I am somewhere in there...

I can not speak in general, as it has not happened (racing) enough to make a trend, but I did check what my paces were while training for last year's marathon before the one this year because everything was comparable:

• Training in summer
          • Hansons advanced plan, therefore same workouts, same fatigue.

So I figured I could compare the paces.

onemile

I ran 10 with 4x(4x400 w/ 1 min recoveries), 3 min between sets.

It was supposed to start at 10k effort working down to 5k effort, but I guess I ignored that part and just ran 'em hard.

Docket_Rocket

4 miles on the TM.  Pilates closed the studio Thursday and Friday so no Pilates until after the marathon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

Rest day. Went out with DH for a fun evening of looking at new washer & dryers.

Baboon, I looked through both paper & Garmin logs this summer to see what pace I was running and what workouts I was doing when I ran my fastest 5k and 10k (almost 4 years ago). Kinda hard to make a good conclusion, since I was barely doing 20 miles per week. Slow workouts were slower. I did a higher percent of running at a faster pace. Not sure how any of that translates to 35-40 mile weeks. I also looked at summer workouts--which I finally saw the pattern of suckage.

Cyberic

It was supposed to start at 10k effort working down to 5k effort, but I guess I ignored that part and just ran 'em hard.

Quite a workout, dudette.

LRB

Can't say I blame you with only four of them. If they were 800s or higher, sure. But 400s? Sheeit, hold my drink while I knock these out right quick.

Docket_Rocket

Damn, fast!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

LRB

Can't say I blame you with only four of them. If they were 800s or higher, sure. But 400s? Sheeit, hold my drink while I knock these out right quick.

I just realized that was 4 SETS of 4 x 400.

Geezus, woman!

FFS.

I remember reading an elite-level marathoner talking about one of his favorite workouts being 30x400. No thanks.

Dave

LRB

Yoga is great at relieving soreness from my legs and what not. Too bad it creates its own soreness in the days that follow.

onemile

FFS.

I remember reading an elite-level marathoner talking about one of his favorite workouts being 30x400. No thanks.

It wasn't as bad as I made it out to be in my head... and having it in 4 sets helped.

Cyberic

And to follow up on that, my average training paces this year were about 8 sec/mile faster than during last year's training, but I managed  to run the marathon only 3 secs/mile faster. So I don't know what to make of that information.