Beginners and Beyond

Woman stabs herself while on a trail in Illinois (Read 94 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://abc7chicago.com/news/woman-33-stabbed-while-jogging-in-suburban-forest-preserve/415846/

Happened in Palatine, IL, I think I read somewhere that is up in northern Illinois? Anyways, the guy got away but the woman is stabilized at the hospital. Pooh on assholes that won't allow others to just enjoy life.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That's a nw suburb of Chicago a bit north of O'Hara airport. One of my sisters still lives near there.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That's a nw suburb of Chicago a bit north of O'Hara airport. One of my sisters still lives near there.

That sucks, so is it a suburb or a state park? Or what?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Palatine is a suburb. Deer Grove is a forest preserve in or near Palatine. If I remember from that long ago, forest preserves are public lands administered by the county. They are largely undeveloped, hence the name forest preserve, but there are picnic areas, trails, and other facilities, so they are more like state parks than municipal parks. One that I used to frequent as a kid had a small natural history museum including some of the local fauna in cages so we could see live examples of the animals that inhabited the preserves.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

PragmaticRnnr

Fitness Jogger

The Forest Preserves are all over Cook County (where Chicago is located) and in all the surrounding counties. They are small to huge areas that are actually developed but seem undeveloped (I know, I know). They are full of trees (Forest Preserves) and all have picnic tables, water pumps, trails throughout and large areas to just hang and enjoy nature. Open dawn to dusk.

The Chicago Tribune just did a story on the history of Forest Preserves:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-cook-forest-preserve-quigley-jensen-edit-20141128-story.html

As a kid, I was terrified of going in the tree'd, trail areas due to the dark creepy nature of them. That was decades ago. We were warned to watch out for creeps-even back then! I would never run on one alone. That is asking for trouble-even in a suburb. Too many wackos out there.

Nightvisionrn

Looks like she made it up:

Police: Woman made up report of being stabbed while jogging in Palatine

NANCY STONE / CHICAGO TRIBUNE

Deer Grove East Forest Preserve in Palatine on Sunday.

Palatine police reports: Cords cut on decorations, and more
              By Sally Ho, Chicago Tribune
              6:06 pm, December 2, 2014
              A woman who told authorities that she was attacked and stabbed while jogging in a Cook County forest preserve last weekend apparently gave false statements, and police said they now believe there was no attack.

"It appears that this story was fabricated. We are evaluating what, if any, actions we will take in response," said Sophia Ansari, spokeswoman for the Cook County Sheriff's office, which is handling the case.

The woman who made the report, a 33-year-old from Des Plaines, did have a stab wound to her abdomen, which was not life-threatening, police said. As of Monday, she remained hospitalized. Police have not identified her.

Authorities said the woman told them that she was jogging on a path in Deer Grove Forest Preserve in Palatine at about 4:15 p.m. on Saturday when a man ran up to her, stabbed her in the torso and then fled.

Police said she had given a detailed description of her purported assailant, who was said to be a bald Hispanic male with a black shirt and two piercings in his right ear.

The woman told authorities that she drove to a nearby home after the incident, where an ambulance was called. She was then taken to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge.

"She did have a stab wound. There was no other person involved," Ansari said. No weapon was found, police said.

No charges have been filed, although they could be forthcoming.

Officials did not have immediate estimates on police resources spent on the case.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

There have been several runner "incidents" in nearby Arlington Heights in the last year, so people in the area have been on edge.  Unfortunately, most of the crime in Chicago isn't faked.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Well that sucks, why would someone make an attack up, that is just BS and she should be ashamed of herself.

PRs

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Well that sucks, why would someone make an attack up, that is just BS and she should be ashamed of herself.

Presumably to explain the stab wound when the real explanation might be really embarrassing.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

And whilst a self-inflicted stab wound would certainly hurt, there is obviously one thing this chick needs to help what demons she may have........

Full marathon training!  

Randy

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Presumably to explain the stab wound when the real explanation might be really embarrassing.

She stabbed herself? Haha! Oh wait, are we not supposed to laugh?

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

And whilst a self-inflicted stab wound would certainly hurt, there is obviously one thing this chick needs to help what demons she may have........

Full marathon training!  

I agree, it helped me with my demons 

PRs

From the Internet.

I think we now need the title of this thread changed to "Woman "Stabbed" while "jogging" in Suburban Forest Preserve"

LRB

I think we now need the title of this thread changed to "Woman "Stabbed" while "jogging" in Suburban Forest Preserve"

lol - I had to read that twice to "get" it.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Or, woman jogging while "stabbed".