Beginners and Beyond

The zombie dead horse beats on: the latest update from RWOL (Read 881 times)

delicate flower

It's just too slow.

This is the problem I have, and being an impatient man, I just can't stand going there now.  It has nothing to do with the people still posting there and everything to do with site performance. 

<3

Mostly harmless

This one is a very good example of why lyrics sites suck sometimes and they all copy information from each other.  Go to a lyrics site and you will see... on all of them really... that the lyric is supposedly "I don't feel tardy".  While that makes a great deal of logical sense, I have listened to that song approximately 1 trillion times.  It's "turdy".

You are right about almost everything. This time you are not.  It's tardy.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

xor

My ears disagree!

Over there, a BFer has declared that the reappearance of emoticons is "a game changer".  Everyone is entitled to her/his opinion and I know some of you are down with emoticons more than others, but to me that's an example of "lipstick on a pig".

If you do revisit and decide to post in a thread, the first thing you want to do...before posting... is visit your user preferences and turn email notifications off.  You probably did this at some point long ago, but it doesn't matter.  Pluck cheerfully turned them back on for you.  If you don't turn it off, RWOL will start spamming you (ha, what a concept) when you post in a semi-active thread and forget about the little checkbox at the bottom.  If you turn it off at the user level, you won't have to worry about this check box.

Apparently Kevin doesn't like the feature either, but Pluck hasn't returned his call to get it turned off.  Meaning:

1. I guess RWOL IT doesn't control their own site anymore and can't do basic things like this.

2. Pluck hasn't returned his call!  HA.

Docket_Rocket

I noticed that.  It automatically subscribes you to every thread you post in.  I did that and when I posted next, it had that checkmark again and subscribed me again!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mostly harmless

My ears disagree!

My ears disagree with your disagreement.  Also the word "turdy" in this context makes no sense at all, but the expression "I don't feel tardy" sounds exactly like something a smart ass teenager would say to a teacher giving him crap for being late to class.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

xor

I noticed that.  It automatically subscribes you to every thread you post in.  I did that and when I posted next, it had that checkmark again and subscribed me again!

Correct.  And once I effed up and forgot (in that silly sermon thread), I couldn't go back and undo it.  It is just feature #1000 on the list of stuff that Pluck really sucks at.  As I posted over there, it seems that Pluck (or design whatever media) does not employ a usability expert.  But, hey, now your banana can dance again.

Anyone with dual citizenship, heed the warning... turn off email notification.

(it is still a complete no-go on my android phone and slow as molasses on a computer.)

happylily

I get what you are saying, SRL and I agree that the RWBF is still plagued with irritants, and the return of the emoticons won't be enough to satisfy most posters. However, why are you so active in pointing out all of RW's problems? Are you afraid that we will leave RA? It seems like everytime you start a thread now, it is to make fun of, or attack, RW. Not that I care, I admit, but I find it curious. Do you have a vendetta going on with them?Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

xor

My ears disagree with your disagreement.  Also the word "turdy" in this context makes no sense at all, but the expression "I don't feel tardy" sounds exactly like something a smart ass teenager would say to a teacher giving him crap for being late to class.

Okey doke.  You win. I am wrong. You are right.  ("I don't feel turdy" is a reasonable come back to the statement "stop being a turd")

xor

I get what you are saying, SRL and I agree that the RWBF is still plagued with irritants, and the return of the emoticons won't be enough to satisfy most posters. However, why are you so active in pointing out all of RW's problems? Are you afraid that we will leave RA? It seems like everytime you start a thread now, it is to make fun of, or attack, RW. Not that I care, I admit, but I find it curious. Do you have a vendetta going on with them?Big grin

I hope that you stay here. 

Here's the thing.  I almost never start threads at all.  It seems like "everytime I start a thread NOW", but that's really because there's no comparison.  In fact, I have started maybe a couple threads about this here.  You think I have started a bunch of threads because I have made a bunch of posts.  But mostly in other threads.  Semantics.

I have no vendetta against Runners World for being Runners World, nor for being "something other than RA".  I posted there for many many years... MORE THAN I POSTED HERE.  I think it sucks that they crapped all over their users through complete incompetence while trying to sell us on all the great positive stuff that was forthcoming.  It was all a big lie. There were no 'exciting new features'... every single thing they did... literally every single thing... was a step backward from a usability standpoint.  No vendetta.  Frustration.  Which I would let go of, except that KK keeps coming back with more "good news".

I started this thread for two reasons:

1. Because that 700,000 number, being used to show that "all the cool kids are still there" is almost certainly a lie.  At least a misuse of a number.  That is annoying.  Not because of the 'cool kids' reference, but because that number is so far removed from reality that you'd think someone would question it before publicizing it. Do they even care?  I think it is reasonable to call that out.

2. Because as part of trying to make things right, they shipped a really REALLY annoying feature that people need to know about before posting and spamming the fuck out of themselves.  And... the right way to turn it off so you don't.

Seriously, post wherever you like.  I don't care, but specific to #2, it's a goofy thing.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Thanls SRL i have started getting E-mails from rw about posts in thier forum and did not know

how to turn it off.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

happylily

I'm not going anywhere, I like it here. A lot.Smile I was just curious. Sorry for exaggerating, and thanks for explaining. :-)

Love the Half

My guess is that if there hadn't been a dropoff in real traffic, Knabe wouldn't have posted what he did.  But that's just a guess.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've only posted in a few threads on RW since I moved here, but I don't recall getting any emails from RW related to those or any other threads. I haven't changed any settings either.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

I've only posted in a few threads on RW since I moved here, but I don't recall getting any emails from RW related to those or any other threads. I haven't changed any settings either.

George, they started that yesterday, I believe. I posted in a TM related thread (some people still doubt that TMs are awesome for training, can you believe the nerve of them? Big grin) and later in the day, I received many annoying notifications through email, each time someone was replying. Now, I'm scared to post there, because I know I'll forget to turn the option off.

xor

Yes, they shipped the feature yesterday morning and Kevin posted about it in most of the subforums. Yet another exciting improvement.

Then, later that afternoon, when I (and thui and a number of other people) asked WHAT GIVES?, his answer was basically "yes, I don't like it either". (!!!)

Except they don't know how to turn it off and Pluck hasn't called them back.