Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 11 - UTSA Diploma Dash 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2019%20Race%20Number%2011%20UTSA%20Diploma%20Dash?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 11th race of 2019, held on Feb 23, was The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) Diploma Dash 5K.  This is also a dog-friendly event and runners with dogs can purchase a bib for $10 for their dog and then get their own awards in the Runners With Dogs category.  The event, put on by the UTSA Alumni Association, raises scholarship funds for UTSA students.  Race start time of 8 a.m.  As a UTSA employee I do this event just about every year. It is a very popular even and one of the races of the City Championship Series of races, if I remember correctly.  This event allowed a max of 2,000 participants.  When I went to packet pickup, one of the Alumni Association people told me they were pretty darn close to the max registration, with about 1,960 or so already registered.  I arrived at the race start site  - the UTSA Convocation Center, a venue for various events and the UTSA baskeball team’s home court – and wandered around getting a few start photos.

Our MC, UTSA alum April Ancira.  Her family owns several very successful car dealerships.

photo IMG_2320_zpstttxgiwl.jpg

With April Ancira.  Very nice lady. One heck of a runner too.  I've done a few of the same races as her over the years.  I see her at the start, I see her at the finish.  She is waaay ahead of me, lol.

photo IMG_2321_zpsjkc6hxo0.jpg

Our music man

photo IMG_2313_zpsfhiospuy.jpg

Prepping the sausages

photo IMG_2324_zpsrhue5p7g.jpg

The master chef - Chief Grill Cook

photo IMG_2325_zpsbe8dtoqn.jpg

I don't know why, but for some reason these things are VERY popular with the students.  The free small tomato packages handed out are gone quite quickly.

photo IMG_2366_zps5sbsq2u3.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, sponsors, etc.

photo IMG_2311_zps52llf4hh.jpg

photo IMG_2312_zpsrmr7a5fl.jpg

Love the dog's expression, lol.  like "OK, dude, whatever... " 

photo IMG_2314_zpskxjkbcgb.jpg

photo IMG_2315_zpswf9f2eig.jpg

photo IMG_2329_zpss7hh5dkj.jpg

photo IMG_2316_zpsjajaos1s.jpg

photo IMG_2317_zpshpixoh7q.jpg

photo IMG_2318_zpsrhcii4vk.jpg

photo IMG_2319_zpsjeukjcqd.jpg

photo IMG_2322_zpsvmn2g2gs.jpg

photo IMG_2323_zpsljqjss83.jpg

photo IMG_2327_zpssg1dcuiu.jpg

photo IMG_2328_zpsshi8hcoo.jpg

photo IMG_2330_zpsv85yildg.jpg

photo IMG_2331_zps5jsiluo0.jpg

photo IMG_2332_zps75nrrbbw.jpg

photo IMG_2333_zpshreeul7j.jpg

photo IMG_2334_zpstt4uqsub.jpg

In the start crowd with 1,000+ of my new best friends, lol .  Really squeezed in there.  Crowd ahead of me and crowd behind me too, with the Camp Rec building in the background.

photo IMG_2335_zpserfpamtm.jpg

photo IMG_2336_zpsvx5i8dbz.jpg

photo IMG_2337_zps5wbgvsnq.jpg

photo IMG_2339_zpsepmqtiwn.jpg

ON THE COURSE

A loop course around the campus, starting at the Convo Center with a route that took us past some ongoing construction near the Main Building; then past one of the campus parking garages and past the College of Business Building.  After that, a couple of turns took us past the building where the UTSA police are headquartered; then a climb up a short, but fairly steep hill.  After that, we headed toward and past the West Campus area and the UTSA baseball field. We finished up by going past the traffic circle near UTSA Boulevard, and then back to the finish line with the final part of the course taking us past the Campus Rec Center. I ended up with a time of 33:35 and did not even come close to placing in a pack of that many people.  There are some speedy old guys in my age group.

Up this hill - that goes to the East campus parking area - to a turn-round point and then back down again.

photo IMG_2340_zpsrlsvezr7.jpg

photo IMG_2341_zpsk83axpgg.jpg

photo IMG_2342_zpstgwbqnuj.jpg

photo IMG_2343_zpsz6gsmglb.jpg

photo IMG_2344_zpsuadqojhs.jpg

photo IMG_2345_zps4tdszfcy.jpg

photo IMG_2346_zpsgqhe3uwx.jpg

photo IMG_2347_zpsikodqyfd.jpg

Near the Bosque Building

photo IMG_2348_zpsxc1t6tti.jpg

That taller building, peeking above the smaller one, is the building I work in

photo IMG_2349_zps4bcchack.jpg

photo IMG_2350_zpsbjspkzd9.jpg

photo IMG_2351_zpsr8wsq7a4.jpg

photo IMG_2352_zps8bpeyaa5.jpg

Up this short, steep hill - not as step as some hills in other areas, but you could feel it a bit

photo IMG_2353_zpsp2kdtapx.jpg

photo IMG_2354_zpsqppacdtn.jpg

photo IMG_2355_zpsr6kcazti.jpg

After this photo above, I ran the last 1. 3 miles into the finish nonstop

AFTER MY FINISH

This event throws one really nice race party that includes sausage wraps, beer – this year it was Dos Equis – and other goodies like cherry tomatoes, some kind of rice give-away, various sodas, bottle water, lots of coffee, saw one booth offering cookies and other treats, and so forth.  With a beer and my mouth full of sausage wrap, I wandered and got some after photos.

Happy finishers, supporters, medal winners, etc.

photo IMG_2356_zpsrp0edrui.jpg

photo IMG_2359_zpsslccn4jo.jpg

photo IMG_2357_zpsqs9o8aav.jpg

This guy did the whole course in that outfit

photo IMG_2358_zpsta6nibzj.jpg

photo IMG_2360_zpsqusc4dvf.jpg

photo IMG_2361_zpsjvdrwj8v.jpg

Two of my favorite things, pretty ladies and beer.  Yeah, Julie Andrews, why weren't those in the song? 

photo IMG_2362_zpslel7kpdu.jpg

lol.  Dog is like 'Dude...what the hell?  Put me down....I am a LADY!"   Tongue

photo IMG_2363_zpsxlmgtqd4.jpg

photo IMG_2364_zpsvciwlfek.jpg

My young and VERY SPEEDY friend, Andrew, finished in 18-something. 

photo IMG_2365_zpsztnclmeo.jpg

photo IMG_2368_zps2aw6vq8f.jpg

it took me 3 tries but I finally got that doggie to look at the camera

photo IMG_2370_zpscnvvs0ie.jpg

photo IMG_2367_zpsh3yto3r8.jpg

Doggie enjoying a post-race drink from the iced water for the soft drinks.

photo IMG_2371_zpsaco7xupx.jpg

photo IMG_2372_zpsa7jkjlee.jpg

photo IMG_2373_zps8tdlp5lr.jpg

photo IMG_2374_zpswibwowbd.jpg

photo IMG_2375_zpsnmexrjgg.jpg

photo IMG_2377_zpsatnvin9x.jpg

photo IMG_2378_zpsiwlkiacp.jpg

All the award winners could request a photo with April and she kindly and with good humor obliged.  As MC, calling out the names of the winners, she offered to donate $10 to the cause for each name she mispronounce.  I think she got up to about $50 before the final name was called.

photo IMG_2379_zpskqteihny.jpg

One of my co-workers, Heather, was the medal passer-outer.  Thanks Heather!

photo IMG_2380_zpsfdcqsa5d.jpg

My friend here (in green shirt) - 75+ and going strong, got a medal.

photo IMG_2381_zpsnpukeu1n.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is always a quality event and takes a heck of a lot of production to get it done; so kudos to the Alumni Association workers and all their helpers and volunteers for another successful Diploma Dash.  The UTSA band and UTSA cheerleaders had a few folks out there as well, playing music and cheering on everyone. Have done this one many times in the past and certainly will continue to do it in the future.  We really got some nice weather for it too, with temp in the low 60s, pretty mild humidity, and a nice mix of sunshine and clouds.

Mucho thanks to all the people who made this event happen for we participants:  all the volunteers out there for us and the UTSA police that were at all the intersections for us; all the sponsors and vendors; and a shout-out and thank to UTSA alum April Ancira – of the local Ancira family that owns several very successful car dealerships – for being our MC for the event. Thanks to anyone else I may not have mentioned here.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt