Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 66: Zero Prostate Cancer 5K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2066%20Zero%20Prostate%205K?sort=2

Full report below.    

BEFORE MY START

My 66th race of 2018 – and 3rd race of the Sep 14 – Sep 16 weekend – was the Zero Prostate Cancer 5K held at Mission County Park in San Antonio held on Sunday Sep 16.  Start time of 8:15 a.m.  There was supposed to be a 10K too but due to all the ‘fallout rain’ we got from Hurricane Florence activity, all the 10K folks were moved to the 5K as the back end of their course was quite flooded.  I arrived with about an hour to go to start time and it was absolutely pouring in the park area.  I just sat in my car and waited; and sure enough, after about 20 minutes it lightened up quite a bit.  Took a dry shirt and towel into the pavilion with me to change into after the race and then got a few pre-start photos.

Deja Vu...back at the same pavilion that I was at for my Saturday race at Mission County Park

photo IMG_5270_zpsvtkmpgb7.jpg

Our MC, Mark, doing his usual great job

photo IMG_5254_zpskqp5bkvv.jpg

Pre-start entertainment as we wait

photo IMG_5256_zps5u5p8qmp.jpg

Some of the volunteers...prepared for the wet....sorry about the blurry look, i think I had water on my lens and forgot to wipe

photo IMG_5258_zpsop3sfyww.jpg

photo IMG_5259_zpsnuzdr17x.jpg

photo IMG_5260_zps5je03trm.jpg

photo IMG_5263_zps2w1me8vk.jpg

Me with one of the race staff.  This was my dry shirt.  I had a singlet underneath that I  did the race in.

photo IMG_5264_zpsovs19kj3.jpg

The unofficial photographer got a photo of the lady official photographer and her assistant

photo IMG_5266_zpsnixxffio.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc

photo IMG_5265_zpssr3ntywb.jpg

photo IMG_5267_zpslnnknugw.jpg

With MC Mark Purnell

photo IMG_5268_zpsplpllhsb.jpg

photo IMG_5269_zpsos7cn8ye.jpg

My friend Albert - 75 and still going strong - with friend Arturo - who we think is an agent for Men In Black.

photo IMG_5271_zpstl2ovxes.jpg

My friends here are walking fools.  They walk quite long distances too.  He is actually a brain cancer survivor.

photo IMG_5272_zpsb3vbregx.jpg

My speedy friend, Ed.  Water did not slow him down at all.  He placed.

photo IMG_5273_zps4ycb5lqd.jpg

With my speedy friend, Don.  You think I do a lot of races in a year?  This was Don's 77th race of the year.

photo IMG_5275_zpsdnrwnjwj.jpg

My friend Bernadette - her 78th race of the year.  Looking a bit wet as she went out and did a warmup run before the race.

photo IMG_5276_zpskqkk2q0z.jpg

My friend Tony with the Alamo Beer.  You wanted beer for breakfast?  They gave it to you, even pre-race.

photo IMG_5277_zpslwn68nk2.jpg

Tony with friend Jose, one of the iaap race company co-owners

photo IMG_5278_zpslyp6cgsv.jpg

Gene - founder of Alamo Beer - and Tony.  This is good stuff...my favorite beer, and locally brewed.

photo IMG_5279_zpsxnfawvda.jpg

My speedy friend, Woody (2nd from the right) did the same 5K on Saturday that I did.  And here we are, back again on Sunday .  photo IMG_5280_zps7cqluuy7.jpg

Getting ready to start.  My speedy friend Bethany - who does a lot of triathlons - in the front ready to get going.

photo IMG_5281_zpsz22ppyhd.jpg

In the stat crowd looking ahead

photo IMG_5281_zpsz22ppyhd.jpg

And looking behind...

photo IMG_5283_zpsljklyl0y.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The race venue for this one was the same as my race I’d done on Saturday morning. The difference was that Saturday’s race was done on the Riverwalk Trail behind the park; this event was done on paved roads, starting out in front of the park.  There was actually more rain today than the one on Saturday.  Around the half-mile mark we got rained on pretty good for about 5 minutes, but that soon passed.  After that we pretty much enjoyed splashing through wet streets and some pretty darn big puddles too.  We also went down into a dip near the local area creek where shallow water was flowing across the road – about ankle high.   Some people diverted up a nearby hill to part of the Riverwalk Trail system and crossed a bridge there, but the majority of us just said heck with it, we’re already wet, and splashed on through both going out and coming back.  I really thought I was going quite slow and would finish in about 38 – 40 minutes but found myself surprised to finish in 35:43 chip time.  I was 11th in my 60 – 69 age group, which was quite large due to the 10K folks being moved to the 5K.  I was quite happy with that and glad to be still standing after all the water hazards, lol.

My first walk break, a bit over a half-mile.  At this point it began pouring on us, but was a passing shower thank goodness, and only lasted about 10 minutes.

photo IMG_5284_zpso1thvd0o.jpg

photo IMG_5285_zpswnoqaeey.jpg

photo IMG_5286_zps4xcik1pt.jpg

photo IMG_5287_zpselwfagbo.jpg

photo IMG_5288_zpsr7xuxvka.jpg

Where I am heading for now...

photo IMG_5289_zpst3kub0sp.jpg

Thanks, Volunteer

photo IMG_5290_zpsyurxn2p5.jpg

Jeez,  I had not even got to a mile and this guy was already heading to the finish.  He won the event in 17-something.

photo IMG_5291_zps9nogkkzj.jpg

The 'incliney" part of the course

photo IMG_5292_zpsebuvwaca.jpg

photo IMG_5294_zpsu9p41obq.jpg

Turn-around point.was under the bridge..we had a few large puddles to negotiate around here

photo IMG_5295_zpsww7myv0i.jpg

I am heading back toward the finish now, on the right side of the road

photo IMG_5296_zpse2gfcg19.jpg

Looking behind me...

photo IMG_5297_zpstjv1u2dc.jpg

Looking ahead...my prostate cancer surivor friend Bill, almost to the turn-round

photo IMG_5298_zpss4u69p68.jpg

Volunteers at the water station

photo IMG_5299_zpsk4gakbve.jpg

At the bottom of this dip was the ankle-deep water most of us ran through coming out and going back.  The bridge crosses over a creek, but the creek was really overflowing and there was water all over the road.

photo IMG_5300_zpstzikdltt.jpg

photo IMG_5301_zpsvjeckb6r.jpg

After that, I ran nonstop back to the finish and surprised myself by getting done in 35 minutes and change.

AFTER MY FINISH

The weather cooperated for us post-race and did not rain on us at all.  Quite a pleasant after party with lots of goodies, including hot dogs, Alamo Beer, water, Powerade, Bloody Mary’s, various kinds of fruits and energy bars, and more, and also food trucks there too if you wanted to purchase something from there.  I found my towel and dry shirt, got dried off and into my dry shirt, and relaxed a while eating a banana and sipping some powerade and then water; and then, feeling much refreshed, was off to take some after photos.

Before I went to get dry, I got a photo with this lady.  We ran most of the last 1/2 mile of the course together.

photo IMG_5302_zps3laoue2s.jpg

With my speedy friend Bethany who finished waaaaaay ahead of me

photo IMG_5303_zpsrmd9avz3.jpg

Happy finisher and her support person

photo IMG_5304_zps5zcvm6tw.jpg

Wet but happy finishers

photo IMG_5305_zpsoyjtccas.jpg

photo IMG_5307_zpskgwj5poc.jpg

Honors and memories.  Richard Tietz, a well known runner in our running community for years, died not too long ago of brain cancer.  He was really a great guy.

photo IMG_5308_zpsomelziyt.jpg

One of the post-race goodies...

photo IMG_5309_zpsdzwvv1e3.jpg

Happy finisher Don.  I think he placed.

photo IMG_5310_zpslnoagtiv.jpg

Here's a motley crew, lol

photo IMG_5311_zpsmlpgnwtk.jpg

With friend and survivor, Bill, survivor, veteran, combat medic;   his first race in a while, just recently recovering from a knee injury.

photo IMG_5314_zpszldnkxqk.jpg

Yeah, now I can enjoy that beer..

photo IMG_5316_zps415zhagc.jpg

With Race Director, Joni, who overcame challenges to get this one done today

photo IMG_5321_zps2dsaqhvy.jpg

Bernadette, as usual, placed

photo IMG_5326_zpsztgvbodm.jpg

photo IMG_5327_zpsbfohgnol.jpg

Pooled water on the patio of the park in the pavilion area. Kiddies using it as a wading pool.

photo IMG_5317_zpsuns9ag8r.jpg

photo IMG_5319_zps1eza3zec.jpg

San Antonio NBA Spurs Coyote came out for the kids run

photo IMG_5323_zpsfxebh1ud.jpg

photo IMG_5325_zpskqqr3ofu.jpg

More happy finishers, etc.

photo IMG_5318_zpsambmt3ys.jpg

photo IMG_5322_zps7r6057iv.jpg

photo IMG_5324_zpswauxtada.jpg

And finally...a big thanks to the race organizers for the local area Zero Prostate Cancer 5K - a race that is held in several cities around the country at various times - Joni  and her husband Dr. Reyna, here with MC Mark.

photo IMG_5328_zpshhksn7po.jpg

EPILOGUE

I have done this event in the past a few times and it is always well organized and nicely done. Really nice tech tee race shirts too.  This year, of course, with the weather the way it was, the organizers had a challenge, but they sure came through, everything appeared to go off without a hitch and – safety first – the organizers and race people were all over the course in their little 4-wheeler vehicles making sure the course was do-able, and watching out for participants so nobody would get injured.  Where I was on the course at any given time, even with some challenging spots along the way, I did not see anyone slip or fall.  Everyone just went right along at their chosen pace, whether running or walking, and seemed to be doing just fine. The only glitch I heard about was the medal handout volunteers were only giving medals to the first 2 places in each age group; I found out later they actually were supposed to give to 3rd place too; the Race Directors, who are really great people whom I know personally, put out the word for 3rd place people to get hold of them and those people would get their medal, so nice.    I like this race – and have a personal interest in it – especially at my age, with my prostate, lol – as I recently found out my PSA is a bit high, so a biopsy might have to be done.  This on top of my heart stuff I am currently dealing with, oh yah.  I tell you what, getting older sure ain’t for wimps, lol.   I also have prostate cancer survivor friends, so I do this one in honor of them too. I would definitely recommend this event to others.

Mucho thanks – especially with the weather the way it was – for all the people that made this one happen for we participants:  iaap race company for course set up, timing, etc; all the volunteers and sponsors and vendors that braved the weather to be out there for us; the law enforcement folks that stood out on the streets in all that wet keeping us all safe until the very last person came in; the medical folks on hand there for us; and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.   Thank you all so much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

You had a busy weekend with three races, two of them in the rain. Looks like fun though. Good luck with the prostate biopsy.