Beginners and Beyond

IMTPT (Read 1309 times)

Docket_Rocket

I leave early today, at least.

Morning!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I slept late.  Ahhh.  Now off to the gym for a run.  It's still -1 outside.  Blech.  Then lunch, laundry, and work.  Be jealous.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Making great progress today!  Getting things done!  And a snow plow finally came through our neighborhood, only 7 days after the storm ended.  Excellent.

Docket_Rocket

You are being cynical, I can feel it....

Making great progress today!  Getting things done!  And a snow plow finally came through our neighborhood, only 7 days after the storm ended.  Excellent.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Van, you've done 50Ks, right?  Do you fuel differently than for marathons.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Haha.  Nope, I was 100% serious on all accounts.  Went to the store and confirmed what size winter running gloves I need (to buy from the House, which are on sale, plus the 15% discount), I ran 8 miles, had an awesome lunch, load 2 of laundry is done, the cat boxes are cleaned out, and yes, the first snow plow is on the street, 7 days after the blizzard.

Actually, yes, I do.  I tend to eat more real food on a 50k, but everyone is different.  You could do a 50k on gels alone and be fine.

Van, you've done 50Ks, right?  Do you fuel differently than for marathons.

Docket_Rocket

Glad to hear your day going well.

and how about the week prior to the race? Do you eat the same as for marathons or do you carbo load more heavily?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

I actually don't go hog wild on the carb loading.  2 days before the race, marathon or longer, I eat like a horse, with a lot of carbs.  But that's the extent of my carb load.  I think, really, there's not a lot to do different for a 50k versus a marathon, except extend the long run just a bit.  Instead of 20, do a 22 to 24 mile long run as your longest.  Good luck with your first 50k, is that sometime this winter yet?

Glad to hear your day going well.

and how about the week prior to the race? Do you eat the same as for marathons or do you carbo load more heavily?

Docket_Rocket

It's in March.  The marathons should be sufficient LRs no?  Monday's 20 miler felt like nothing.  slow but it felt like I could have done a marathon even with the bum knee.

I actually don't go hog wild on the carb loading.  2 days before the race, marathon or longer, I eat like a horse, with a lot of carbs.  But that's the extent of my carb load.  I think, really, there's not a lot to do different for a 50k versus a marathon, except extend the long run just a bit.  Instead of 20, do a 22 to 24 mile long run as your longest.  Good luck with your first 50k, is that sometime this winter yet?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Definitely.  If you've got some races scheduled, those would be great long runs.

Docket_Rocket

i have three more marathons before it.  My questions is, I guess I could do one this weekend if I wanted, right?  I know a 50K is sometimes considered not a real ultra but I still freak out.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

I contend that anyone that can do a marathon can do a 50k.  Really, it's only 4.9 more miles.  As long as the mind knows that, you're good.  As in, if I start a run, with a preconceived distance in mind (like 18 miles), my mind shuts my body down at that distance for some reason and I want to be done, even though I could probably go longer.

Docket_Rocket

I get it.

my other question (I have many apparently) is the pace.  I feel I could do easy pace or 11mm.  That's way slower than MP but to me he important thing is to finish.  I won't be racing ultras.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

I'd probably go slower than marathon pace.  But that's just me.  You'll do fine!