Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins are sick as a ... penguin. (Read 20 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins.  I've been sick since Wednesday night, which is why I haven't been around.  I've missed work, chorus practice, a chorus gig, church, and will likely miss work again today.  I got a whopping 5 hours of sleep last night, which is why I thought I'd go on and get the thread started.  Can you tell I get really really whiny when I get sick? 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

I wrote a hymn parody in my head this morning, which is probably why I'm up so early.  I wanted to write it down before it flew away.

O cold that will not let me go,
        I cough my weary cough for thee.
        I curse the pain that's in my throat
        And feel my forehead for the heat.
        And long for hours of sleep.

I'm jealous of my husband's snores.
        I lie awake for many hours.
        I contemplate allergen spores,
        But think they would not have the power
        To cause such misery.

I wish I had the strength to shower.
        I think I must begin to smell.
        But smelling's not within my power,
        The mucus I cannot expel
        From up inside my nose.

I look ahead unto the day
        When this is all just memory.
        I send my white cells to the fray
        "Destroy the virus enemy!"
        And make it all go away.

O cold that will not let me go ...

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning, Penguins.  I've been sick since Wednesday night, which is why I haven't been around.  I've missed work, chorus practice, a chorus gig, church, and will likely miss work again today.  I got a whopping 5 hours of sleep last night, which is why I thought I'd go on and get the thread started.  Can you tell I get really really whiny when I get sick? 

Awww... feel better!  I also get super whiny when I'm sick and it drives my husband nuts.

Today is some sort of recovery day for me.  Either a really sort run or a run/swim/run.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, my long-suffering husband is making me spicy chicken noodle soup even as we speak.  He's awesome!!

Zelanie

HsM, I hope that you feel better!  This year has definitely been a late season as far as colds and flu. Sad

My running streak died at 113 days, so of course my leg felt fine yesterday and I was wondering if I was overreacting.  Today it hurt as soon as I took my first step out of bed.  Not badly, but enough to remind me that it was there.  Now I wait to hear back from the doc to see how long of a wait there is.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I have had a cough for what seems like forever. I did get that flu and that lasted about a week but the cough persists.

Zel: I think streaks are overrated. I would rest.

RD for me but I will go to the gym for some core stuff.

LRB

I wrote a hymn parody in my head this morning, which is probably why I'm up so early.  I wanted to write it down before it flew away.

O cold that will not let me go,
                  I cough my weary cough for thee.
                  I curse the pain that's in my throat
                  And feel my forehead for the heat.
                  And long for hours of sleep.

I'm jealous of my husband's snores.
                  I lie awake for many hours.
                  I contemplate allergen spores,
                  But think they would not have the power
                  To cause such misery.

I wish I had the strength to shower.
                  I think I must begin to smell.
                  But smelling's not within my power,
                  The mucus I cannot expel
                  From up inside my nose.

I look ahead unto the day
                  When this is all just memory.
                  I send my white cells to the fray
                  "Destroy the virus enemy!"
                  And make it all go away.

O cold that will not let me go ...

Okay you've got some skill.

Feel better!

From the Internet.

Songwriting talent! I love it. Hope you feel better soon HsM!

Afternoon pens! I have finally managed to get my lazy butt in gear and am doing the work things I need to do - will take a short run and coffee break sometime soon.

Zelanie

Got an appointment for Thursday.  Not too bad.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon! Sorry for being MIA but while I was in VA Beach I didn't even check RA or RWOL, only FB and even that was limited.  It was nice to take a bit of a break.  I had another DNFd yesterday at Shamrock but if you see the videos of the race, you'll know the conditions were horrid.  My husband didn't even start the HM.  Rain, winds in the 30mph gusts, rain, wind, wind, wind, etc.  I feel fine but only because I ran 12 and called it a day.  Otherwise, I would still be hooked to a nebulizer.

Ran 7 just now and went to Pilates earlier.

Feel better, Hope!

Jill, enjoy the recovery day.

Z, sorry the leg hurts and about your streak.

Jack, how long has the cold been around? You might need an asthma inhaler to help it go away.

Lauren, hope you enjoyed the run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HopesMom - I'm sorry you're so sick. Great song though.

Jill - I hope you enjoyed your short run.

Melanie - nice that you won't have to wait too long.  I agree with Jack:  while fun, streaks are overrated.  If they get in the way of healing, it's time to stop.

Jack - I hope you had a good gym day.

Lauren - I hope your run went well.

D - are you off work today?  Sorry about Shamrock.  A group of local runners was there. Before the race I was envious.  Now, not so much.

AFM:  Sunny but super windy here, so I drove to town so I could use the houses to block some of the wind.  It turned out to be a good 5.3 mile run.

Zelanie

So here is something that doesn't happen every day.  The doc I was originally scheduled to see Thursday has to travel with the OSU Women's team since they're in the Sweet 16.  So another doc in the office offered to take me in instead, so how about Wed AM for my appointment instead? Smile

Docket_Rocket

HopesMom - I'm sorry you're so sick. Great song though.

Jill - I hope you enjoyed your short run.

Melanie - nice that you won't have to wait too long.  I agree with Jack:  while fun, streaks are overrated.  If they get in the way of healing, it's time to stop.

Jack - I hope you had a good gym day.

Lauren - I hope your run went well.

D - are you off work today?  Sorry about Shamrock.  A group of local runners was there. Before the race I was envious.  Now, not so much.

AFM:  Sunny but super windy here, so I drove to town so I could use the houses to block some of the wind.  It turned out to be a good 5.3 mile run.

Oh, if you look at the video link I posted on the dailies, you would be glad you didn't come over.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

So here is something that doesn't happen every day.  The doc I was originally scheduled to see Thursday has to travel with the OSU Women's team since they're in the Sweet 16.  So another doc in the office offered to take me in instead, so how about Wed AM for my appointment instead? Smile

Sounds better!

Damaris

Fundraising Page