Beginners and Beyond

REPORT AND PHOTOS: GET YOUR REAR IN GEAR 5k (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  REPORT AND PHOTOS: GET YOUR REAR IN GEAR 5k

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:      http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%2015%20Get%20Your%20Rear%20in%20Gear%205K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

My 15th race of 2017 was the Get Your Rear in Gear 5K on March 5, held at Morgan’s Wonderland in San Antonio.  The race supports the Colon Cancer Coalition, which raises funds to promote awareness and fight colon cancer.   Get Your Rear in Gear 5K is held on various dates in many cities across the US. The park is about 4 miles from where I live so I picked up my race packet the day before the race and got to sleep in a little bit on Sunday morning.  Very nice quality race shirt for this one, and all colon cancer survivors also got a Survivor bib in addition to the regular race bib.  If you wanted to run in memory or support of someone, you could get a bit for that too, and put your person’s name on the bib.    8 a.m. race start time, arrived at the park with a little under an hour to start time, got some pre-start photos.

Welcome to Morgan's Wonderland, a park designed for people with special needs

photo 017_zpsejz81rm6.jpg

photo 059_zpspcakelim.jpg

photo 061_zpsguss3ath.jpg

Happy to be here

photo 014_zpsaqmgi1ij.jpg

photo 015_zpstdjxufez.jpg

Athlete Guild Folks...I just saw them at my race yesterday morning!

photo 016_zps38hr353w.jpg

photo 050_zpshok2o7ij.jpg

Our Music Man and his wife....inside a 'colon'.....I think that's what it was supposed to represent..

photo 053_zpsgvjv7v0t.jpg

photo 054_zpswrxumph4.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, supporters, et al

photo 001_zpsanuw8kr4.jpg

photo 002_zpsdezdn547.jpg

photo 003_zpsfxaybwjb.jpg

photo 004_zpsewpfxgsx.jpg

photo 006_zpscfcpjnqi.jpg

photo 007_zpsx4por56x.jpg

photo 008_zpseaxi3bk3.jpg

photo 010_zpsr7u6jk4c.jpg

photo 011_zpszgsuknlo.jpg

Love this kid, lol...."Wait  minute...gotta fix my headband..."

photo 018_zpskprk16ro.jpg

"OK, now I'm ready..."

photo 019_zpsxdjvj8fc.jpg

"Darn it...still not right..."

photo 020_zpst5ig75s5.jpg

photo 023_zps4lmrq5jh.jpg

photo 030_zpsr4xeppzv.jpg

photo 034_zpsvyyszmhk.jpg

photo 035_zpsqfpljv7d.jpg

MC Steve Spriester, of local ABC affiliate, KSAT News TV station

photo 022_zpsiywxllks.jpg

photo 029_zpsfhmxuilm.jpg

photo 032_zpsavbr62rt.jpg

Steve and his wife...two of the nicest people ever...

photo 033_zps6sh9mgzm.jpg

Any colon cancer survivors present were asked to come up on stage...

photo 026_zpst4uv5jay.jpg

photo 028_zpswuejjbxw.jpg

photo 027_zpsyrplc6k9.jpg

T-Bone, mascot of San Antonio Rampage hockey team

photo 021_zpsmigg52nk.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Weather:  Pretty humid, nearly 62 degrees, but after raining mostly all day and a lot of the night on Saturday, it was dry for this Sunday morning race, although parts of the roads we were on were pretty slick in places.    We did a loop around the park’s man-made lake and then went out of the park, running past Toyota Stadium (professional soccer) and Heroes Stadium (school district-owned stadium that hosts a lot of local activities), and then back the way we had come, with a finishing loop going around the lake.  Very flat course, which was much appreciated after the very hilly 5K I had done the day before.  I was feeling pretty good and ended up with a chip time of 33:03, good enough for 3rd in my 60 – 69 age group.

photo 035_zpsqfpljv7d.jpg

photo 038_zpslia7kfm9.jpg

photo 039_zps28goxzy5.jpg

photo 040_zpsc5l5w68e.jpg

This speedy guy was the 5K winner

photo 041_zpshvngnztk.jpg

photo 042_zpsejjh8kul.jpg

photo 043_zpstw0pyxou.jpg

photo 044_zpsvh6rq0gh.jpg

photo 045_zpslhspcowd.jpg

photo 046_zps1tagq7fu.jpg

photo 047_zpsxlf6modz.jpg

photo 048_zpstol7wesl.jpg

photo 049_zpsm54vud0p.jpg

Some of the walkers doing the finishing loop back around the lake

photo 060_zpsps34uchw.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Walked around drinking some water, ate some of the goodies offered – bananas, some type of drink similar to Gatorade, some type of chips with some salsa sauce, and more – and then did my post-race photo thing with the ‘happy finishers’, volunteers, supporters, etc.

photo 051_zpsiovfqi3h.jpg

Lady on the right was first female

photo 052_zpszczvnwyy.jpg

photo 075_zpst0spsxsm.jpg

photo 076_zpsksptxyy6.jpg

photo 056_zpsosswbx43.jpg

photo 057_zpsckthnkvh.jpg

photo 062_zpsyktkabpf.jpg

photo 063_zpsovwagjd4.jpg

photo 064_zpszpombijn.jpg

photo 065_zpshmrodasa.jpg

photo 066_zpsivzmmiyb.jpg

Making myself look good with two beautiful ladies..

photo 067_zpstt79eqxr.jpg

photo 068_zps3lndrvx9.jpg

photo 069_zpszxhqzaiv.jpg

photo 072_zpsjnsmy9su.jpg

photo 073_zpsmovlrujy.jpg

photo 077_zpsvlif7ni5.jpg

As usual, my friend Bernadette placed

photo 078_zpscmou6xwe.jpg

photo 079_zpsrrsoakdi.jpg

photo 080_zpshiqhpzxh.jpg

photo 082_zpszta3tsem.jpg

photo 084_zps7o5it2jc.jpg

Before I left, bid farewell to Old Glory flying proud....and good time to leave too, wind was picking up, as you can see, and all that sweating I had done was making me a bit chilly.

photo 083_zps8eklcs9c.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a pretty regular event each year in San Antonio and I try to do this one as much as I can, my calendar permitting, as this cause is personal for me.  It is always a very nicely done event, well organized, nice race shirts, lots of post-race goodies (no beer though, darn the luck), and various awards such as largest team, best team name – “Semi Colon Group” won that award this year – biggest local fundraiser, and so forth.  The last few years I have done this, the race location has been different each time; I find that kind of refreshing, always nice to not run the same course year after year after year, like some races do.   Definitely would recommend this one to my fellow runners.

MUCHO THANKS to all the people that made this one happen for the participants:  the Colon Cancer Coalition, their local area staff/employees, all the volunteers, law enforcement that was out there for us, the ‘official’ photographers, Morgan’s Wonderland for use of the park, and, of course, all the sponsors/vendors that donate not only their monetary support to help this one go, but also their time for we participants.

Hope you enjoyed the report and photos!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt