Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Sergeant John Trotter (KIA) Memorial 5K (Read 8 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 56th race of 2015 and my 3rd race of the November 7 - 8 weekend, after doing the Wurst 5-Miler on Saturday morning and Day of the Dead 5K on Saturday evening. This event was organized by Roy Orozco, a Team Leader of  our Team RWB San Antonio, a chapter organization of national veteran's organization Team RWB (www.teamrwb.org).  This 5K honored Roy's friend John Trotter who lost his life in Iraq in 2004 and contributions could be made to a scholarship established in John's name, and it also honored other fallen who were known by the participants.   Event was held on the campus of Texas A&M-San Antonio, with several Team RWB San Antonio members participating.  After doing two races this weekend already, my legs were a tad sore, but I managed to eke out a 33:34 finish time and pushed myself a bit the last mile for a strong finish.

BEFORE THE START

The reason we ran or walked:  the fallen.  People sent in photos to Roy and he had them posted on this 'wall.'   The black-and-white photo of the nurse (bottom left) is the one I sent.  I was stationed in the Philippines at that time and met her briefly for all of about 5 minutes and she did me a favor that may even have saved my life..and she never knew it.  I have never forgotten her and when I went to DC, I went to the Vietnam Wall in her honor.  Capt. Mary Klinker, US Air Force nurse, killed April 4, 1975 in the C-5 Saigon "Baby Lift" aircraft crash.   There is a story behind every one of these people and we should never forget them.

photo 042_zpsfggqipjz.jpg

photo 046_zpsz20joooc.jpg

The race shirt in honor of Sgt. Trotter

photo 044_zpsvxamwg8h.jpg

photo 047_zpsq1tr9ogd.jpg

Texas A&M and Old Glory

photo 004_zpsx5ntstea.jpg

photo 005_zps8mq6bxzm.jpg

Old Glory and Team RWB Flags

photo 006_zps6fg6nbsh.jpg

photo 007_zpsfq3bkafz.jpg

Bagpiper on site for us

photo 008_zpssobxhrip.jpg

Yours Truly, with the piper

photo 009_zpsvm8hxrgt.jpg

Two Old Geezers at the event, me and friend John...yeah, we both have mustaches..to hide all those nose-hairs we get as we grow older

photo 012_zpsppij5ywg.jpg

Volunteers preparing post-race goodies for us:  breakfast tacos, etc.

photo 011_zpswbwnhzbt.jpg

Some of the participants, supporters, volunteers, etc.

photo 001_zpsmwwknllt.jpg

photo 002_zpsbs5rbjfc.jpg

photo 003_zpsukc3eozc.jpg

photo 010_zpstdjfzopn.jpg

photo 013_zps4csywdvw.jpg

The lady on the right also did the Day of the Dead 5k with me the night before this event

photo 014_zpsicqzxnfm.jpg

Street2Feet represented...another great organization

photo 015_zps9u4nixc4.jpg

National Anthem was sung and then the piper played Amazing Grace

photo 016_zpsh5tdtb8z.jpg

Then TAPS was played in honor of the lost...and then we lined up and were off.

ON THE COURSE

Mainly a lot of cement roads and the usual course on the campus is you go up this road - and I mean UP - you make a turn-around and come back down it on the other side - and then another bit of uphill - and then you turn right, get to the end of that, turn left, and come back the other side of the road to the finish...kind of like making a cross, only with a run.    It was pretty windy at times, but at least the sun was out - nice after all the rain we've had in the last couple of weeks -  and the temp was in the 50s, and the final road of the course was sweetly flat flat flat, nice on the legs.

photo 017_zpspyfw9k0s.jpg

photo 018_zpsw3bgsjc5.jpg

More later on the flag carrier and his companion, whom I chased most of the course

photo 019_zpsrppxoxdi.jpg

photo 020_zpsicyewmku.jpg

photo 021_zpsvgkfdfd0.jpg

Finished with the hills, thank goodness!  Roy cheering everyone on at this turn

photo 022_zpstrzfolio.jpg

Looking behind me, the way I just came

photo 023_zpsp1exwchi.jpg

And ahead of me...I just can't seem to catch that flag bearer.

photo 024_zps6gu1ytoo.jpg

They've already made the final turn and are heading to the finish and I'm still going to the final turn

photo 027_zpsx0kb41kl.jpg

photo 025_zpsmz6rgzrm.jpg

photo 026_zps9abwavoq.jpg

After that last photo, I tucked the camera away and ran steadily for the last 1.2 miles into the finish.  I sloooowly began decreasing the distance between me and the flag bearer.  I kept telling myself not to push yet, not yet not yet...and then it was "Okay NOW!" I picked up the pace and right before the finish did catch the flag bearer and passed him; his companion, my friend Rosa, picked up her pace too and ran in with me. Clock time of 33:34, with a nice strong finish.

AFTER THE FINISH

After I finished, I went back on the course to look for the two friends who had also done the Dia De Los Muertos the night before like I had, to run in with them.   As I went back out I got a few photos of other finishing.  This one guy with the flag and with flags went out continuously to run people in so they were accompanied by the flag to the finish.  I don't know how may trips they made, but they were very busy people.  And very motivating.  No team member left behind!

photo 028_zpsj418duwr.jpg

photo 029_zpsotjqzepn.jpg

photo 030_zpsuqda8wjq.jpg

photo 033_zpswy3uvrgj.jpg

photo 035_zpspsee0xex.jpg

photo 031_zpsnelf6juq.jpg

photo 034_zpsgvzklqm2.jpg

One of my co-runners from Day of the Dead 5K. I ran into the finish here with her.  We were in the same proximity for most of this 5K.

photo 032_zpsmdhzuyrq.jpg

"Happy Finshers" supporters, etc.

photo 036_zpsurgqoxku.jpg

photo 037_zpshh6drxjy.jpg

photo 038_zpsbu3smqar.jpg

photo 039_zpswk2yriga.jpg

My other Day of the Dead 5K companion, whom I also went back out for and ran into the finish with.  I don't have a toothache...my mouth is full of breakfast taco, lol.

photo 040_zpsus0j1frb.jpg

photo 041_zpsdyyxiac0.jpg

photo 043_zpsfsmmyvoi.jpg

photo 045_zpsnerawojr.jpg

photo 048_zps0zwjk7y8.jpg

photo 049_zpscvbvbonm.jpg

photo 050_zpsft7psbia.jpg

EPILOG

I am not found of running on Texas A&M-San Antonio campus.  Lots of cement and not a whole lot of scenery either - "hey, there's a bush!  hey, there's another bush!"   as the campus is still relatively new and still in its growing years.  So if you pay attention to the course, it's rather boring.  But this event was a very special one - especially to we local veterans - and also Roy,an all-around Great Guy who has done so much for our local team, so I bit the bullet on my dislike of this course to be there for him and for my team members; and it turned out it was not so bad after all; and the reason for that is because when it comes down to it, it's not really the course, it's the PEOPLE that make an event, and my Team RWB has some GREAT people.  So off I went and I interacted with all these great folks along the way and took photos, and just kept my sense of humor intact about the course - as much as possible, I'd rather laugh at myself and my situation than bitch or cry about it -  and thoroughly enjoyed myself ....because of these people, my wonderful team-mates.   If Roy makes this an annual thing, I would definitely do this one again.  And I hope it grows too, if this one is continued and that even more veterans participate; it is a great event for a great cause. Never forget the fallen, and especially those that touched your lives personally.

MUCHO thanks to all the people that did the hard work to make this one happen for we participant; to the law enforcement folks out there for us; to Texas A&M-San Antonio for the generous use of their campus and the facilities - especially nice to have INDOOR bathrooms instead of a portapotty - and condolences to the Trotter family - the loss of a child, as I know, is a terrible thing; you never really get over it you just mainly only learn to live with it;  John made the ultimate sacrifice for love of country, but his family also made a sacrifice, so good thoughts and prayers for them;  and thanks to them too for donating some liquid pleasure - which is always appreciated by we military folks - and also which I emphasize,  was NOT indulged in on campus grounds.

End of Report.  Fall out and carry on!  And stay safe!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Sounds like a good race despite being your less than favorite course. Still looks like a good time. Thanks for your service.

I was watching your team last night--flipping through the all the college football I caught the last 2 minutes of the UTSA vs ODU football. Ouch, I thought they were going to pull off the win.

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on your triple race weekend.  A good cause and good people do make it worthwhile.  And besides, you wanted to run another race anyway, right?

Docket_Rocket

Nice job on all the races.  Thanks for sharing this RR.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page