Beginners and Beyond

Resolution Runners? (Read 449 times)

Stop N Go

Glad you brought this topic up.  There are two guys who work at the same company that I do, about ten cubes away but not in same department. When I go running at lunch I see them walking on same trail.  Every day I headnod or wave.  Every day they act like they can't even see me.  Some days it pisses me off others it makes me laugh to myself.

5k PR Oct 2012 - 23:20

5k Goal 2013 - 21:5x

RSX

The area I moved to last year, very few people wave unless I see a friend especially when I run along the Boston Marathon hills. It is quite different from years past.

Buelligan

Waving is big with motorcyclists.  I am so over the motorcycle wave.  I got more important things to pay attention to than someone giving me the low wave.

I always make sure to wave at cars if they give me wide berth when I'm running or walking on the roads... but I still don't care if I get a wave back.

Just B.S.

This has been my experience too, with a noticeable exception.  I do most of my long runs on a 8.3 mile stretch of old highway that has been turned into a biking/running park.  I usually do the full out and back for 16 miles, and I have yet to see another runner out past the five mile mark.  I've noticed that while I'm out that far, the cyclists become much more friendly, I've even gotten thumbs up and audible "way to go" comments.  I can only guess it's because they don't see a lot of runners at that end of the road.

There's only a few people I typically see at 5am, and we all wave, because we see each other almost everyday. Smile

Yeah, well I don' tknow about the rest of them but I'm always too busy trying not to break my

neck!LOL  I will nod when I can but we have a lot of potholes here and no biking lanes and always

need to be watching the road.

However when I running I wave or nod at everyone!

aponi

never runs the tangents

People are pretty friendly in my neighborhood. There are the headphone wearing folk who seem lost in their own little world but other than that most people "good morning' each other.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

I don't see many other runners out when I run. I have seen others probably 5 or 6 times in 8 months. Cars wave and give me plenty of room. There is one oilfield truck that gives me a couple of toots on the horn to say hi in the mornings.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

PragmaticRnnr

Fitness Jogger

I've been running in my new neighborhood for one year now.  I've seen two other runners; one is a woman whom I've run into a few times and one is a man.  We acknowledge each other.  I always wave at the cars and 90% of the time I get a wave back.  The 10% who don't wave back are teenagers or really old people.

Today, for the first time, I saw two new runners!  I actually laughed out loud.  One was a middle aged man who was running and jump roping at the same time.  Believe me, I would have seen this guy at some point within the 'hood if he'd been out running.  The other, a woman, was in a bright red hat and shoes.  Both had to be Resolution Runners.   New and trying really hard.  I hope they keep it up.

curmudgeon at large

Why is it that we who are supposed to be a supportive community say resolution runners in such a snarky way. We all resolved to run one way or the other. Are we truly that snobby here.

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

i think the wave:nowave ratio varies by region, too. when i lived in nevada, almost nobody waved. most people avoided eye contact altogether. now that i live in the panhandle, holy crap, everyone waves. most offer a smile and a hello, too. well, everyone except cyclists.

PragmaticRnnr

Fitness Jogger

Why is it that we who are supposed to be a supportive community say resolution runners in such a snarky way. We all resolved to run one way or the other. Are we truly that snobby here.

Yes, some truly are that snobby.

Notice I said "some".

Just B.S.

Beats me. There have been several threads about this in the last week or so. I made it clear that I

was a resolution runner 13 years ago. I've only taken one break from running and that was for 6 weeks

due to major surgery.  I don't think it matters when you start. What matters is that you stick with it.

I am quite sure that there are lots of people who looked down at the formerly chubby non runner

me in Jan 2000 just starting out,  that are no longer running and haven't been for years.........and here

i am still at it.

Buelligan

Yes, some truly are that snobby.

Notice I said "some".

I'm not a snob, I'm an elitist.

I was a resolution runner 5 years ago.

Yes, there were more people on my running route this morning.  And yes,  I made fun of the ones dressed like it was 20 degrees and snowing.

Most will probably quit in the next month.  But, some will stick with it....  I appreciate the optimism and effort, and am very happy for that small percentage who will still be running in 5 years.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I don't think anyone said anything bad about resolution runners.  Just that they're new and might not feel like a part of the running community yet and therefore might not wave.

**Ask me about streaking**

Anomalous

I'll wave and folks tend to wave back. I always wave back if someone initiates it. It's only been a handful of times that I haven't gotten a response. On the trails, everyone speaks.

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi